News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Permission Granted.

Started by Marc, March 25, 2016, 01:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Permission Granted.

Last year I acquired permission to hunt on a small property that had birds on it early in the season.  Unfortunately I did not acquire permission till later.  The property is small, and this year I have seen nor heard any evidence of birds there though.

The owner of the property is a Korean war hero veteran, who is suffering from dementia.  Although I did not think he would remember me, I sent him a thank you card with a gift certificate for Starbuck's (which he apparently really enjoys).  Apparently my letter and the gift certificate never arrived though.

Earlier this month I talked to his care-givers who did remember me and basically gave me permission, but I did want to speak to him again.  I pulled up to his house and he happened to be outside.

As I got out of the car, he came at me swinging, kicking dirt, and picked up dirt and started throwing it.  Not sure where his care-takers were, but I was not going to leave until he settled down.  Oddly he remembered me, but he had his facts a bit confused...  He remembered I was an eye doc, but he also remembered me taking some shots at him (I never fired my gun on his property last season).

He also was very upset that he never got a thank you from me...  After a few minutes of calmly talking him down, he shook my hand and apologized.  He gave me permission for the season again, but this year, I will take all my thank you cards and gifts in person.  (Many of the land-owners for hunting and fishing come in for a free eye exam and often a free pair of glasses).

If I do have to send something in the mail, I will follow-up.  No matter how big or how small, I always believe in showing my appreciation with a letter, and maybe a gift of some sort.  I am careful not to abuse my privileges, and outside of properties changing hands, I rarely lose permission.  I leave the property cleaner than when I arrived, and take great care not to cause any issues with the owner or their neighbors.

Remember those thank you cards/gifts, and remember to treat the property you are on with respect.  From now on, I will take the time to take them in person though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

TauntoHawk

:z-winnersmiley:

It can be really tough to get and keep free access to hunting ground, it really does pay to go the extra mile and build a friendship or show appreciation any way possible.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cottonmouth

I have permission to hunt some private land near me and I stop by every so often to check on them and offer help around the farm. A little appreciation goes a long way. You definitely sound like you were raised right.

Hooksfan

Two years ago, I went to ask permission to hunt a place that was a piece off the road, and the Ole gal saw me walking to the front door and she gave me the slip through the garage and came around the corner of the house behind me with a 22 rifle at the ready.  :emoticon-cartoon-012:

Marc

Quote from: Hooksfan on March 26, 2016, 08:49:50 PM
Two years ago, I went to ask permission to hunt a place that was a piece off the road, and the Ole gal saw me walking to the front door and she gave me the slip through the garage and came around the corner of the house behind me with a 22 rifle at the ready.  :emoticon-cartoon-012:

I have obtained permission from some pretty rough characters...  In college I had permission on a couple spots that looking back on were dream spots (very high density turkey populations and lots of land)...  When I went to grad school, I took my best friend over to their ranches to get him permission...

It was evening time, and I warned him to stay in the car till I told him otherwise...  Guy came out of the house with a rifle, and fired a shot in the air for good measure...  It was painfully obvious that he had been drinking (not water)...  We were in my buddies car (which is why he did not recognize us), and my buddy wanted to book, but I hopped out of the car...  When the owner saw me, he threw his gun on the ground, came over and shook my hand...  Gave my buddy the green light...

A six pack of beer and some packaged game went a long ways with the above gentleman...  Killed a lot of game on that ranch.  Although looking back on the situation some years later, I probably would not have hopped out of the car so eagerly.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

MerriamMac

For some reason or another my interactions with land owners is always  weird and uncomfortable. ... oh well I treat them as best I can and leave the land looking as if I was never there. I give homemade booze, summer sausage, elk steak, home grown, etc, whatever helps show my appreciation . But it never fails, I always feel uneasy for some reason....

OldSchool

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 25, 2016, 03:27:28 PM

It can be really tough to get and keep free access to hunting ground, it really does pay to go the extra mile and build a friendship or show appreciation any way possible.

Agreed! Never take anything for granted, especially when it comes to something as important as turkey hunting. Showing our appreciation is only right and goes a long way with most people. I'm glad everything worked out for you Marc, good luck.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

WisTurk

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 25, 2016, 03:27:28 PM

I agree 100%.  I don't always try and get permission on a lot of private properties, but when I do, I always go out of my way to show my appreciation and gratitude.  I usually gift them with things like local honey and maple syrup or maybe a gift basket of assorted goodies.  And I never leave anything behind either.  Lots of clear communication is also key (when I plan to hunt, what I plan to hunt, if anyone will be with me, etc.).  I always give them all my info if they have to reach me for any reason and make sure they have my make, model and license plate number for my truck.  The more I can do to put them at ease, the better.  And always make sure to thank them in person whether or not I was successful.