turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Will shooting disturb turkeys

Started by ThunderChickenGetter, March 25, 2016, 10:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenGetter

I'm talking about two different groups of birds. Like if I kill one from one group, the shotgun blast shouldn't mess with the other group across the farm right?

J.D. Shellnut

If they are not pressured you should be good. I've killed birds and had other birds gobble at the shot. People shoot them all the time when a pair comes in and the other gobbler attacks the one flopping on the ground! lol
60% of the time it works every time!

snapper1982

Quote from: ThunderChickenGetter on March 25, 2016, 01:45:23 PM
I'm talking about two different groups of birds. Like if I kill one from one group, the shotgun blast shouldn't mess with the other group across the farm right?

You are over thinking the situation. Turkeys do not have the ability to analyze or even rationalize a situation or the sound of a gun shot. They do not know what they heard was a gun shot or that it is in any way dangerous for them in the future. 

BrowningGuy88

I shot into a group Wednesday and called in one of the gobblers again this morning. They are still roosting and strutting in the same places.

When I disturb them I just change my setup next time I go after them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutt

Birds are not going to associate a gun shot, to their well being. They'll probably gobble at the blast, just like they do with thunder. Under the right circumstance you could shoot one and go back to the same exact spot and shoot another. I don't believe they even have the ability to reason when they see their buddy hit the dirt. A few years ago on Public, called in 3 mature Toms and shot one, went back a couple days later and the other 2 came back to the very same spot and only 1 left. Why would they even think about coming back to this spot?

Gamblinman

Shooting doesn't bother them...what does bother them is running out to a downed bird, screaming, yelling and the hoopla you see the TV guys doing.

If you down a  bird...sit tight and let the rest move off naturally. Collect your bird quietly and move out of the area...then celebrate.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Farmboy27

Quote from: Cutt on March 25, 2016, 03:06:31 PM

Birds are not going to associate a gun shot, to their well being. They'll probably gobble at the blast, just like they do with thunder. Under the right circumstance you could shoot one and go back to the same exact spot and shoot another. I don't believe they even have the ability to reason when they see their buddy hit the dirt. A few years ago on Public, called in 3 mature Toms and shot one, went back a couple days later and the other 2 came back to the very same spot and only 1 left. Why would they even think about coming back to this spot?
Most turkeys hear load noises all the time. Thunder, logging noises, farming noise, ect.  Like cutt said, they can't reason that the noise was a gun shot and they are being hunted.

fallhnt

I've blasted birds right after they flew down from the roost and they didn't roost there again.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Spurs

Let the kid roll one up...it will be worth it even if the birds leave the country

But to answer the original question.  I have shot one strait off the roost and there was another in the group that dang near rooster on the same limb the next day.

I have also shot birds well off the roost that the spotter was about 300 yards from the original spot.

Trying to guess what a turkeys next move is, is like trying to plan the day for a 2 year old kid...it just don't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!

tomstopper

Quote from: Gamblinman on March 25, 2016, 03:17:51 PM
Shooting doesn't bother them...what does bother them is running out to a downed bird, screaming, yelling and the hoopla you see the TV guys doing.

If you down a  bird...sit tight and let the rest move off naturally. Collect your bird quietly and move out of the area...then celebrate.
^^^This. Those birds from two separate groups will have no clue as to what just happened if you just shoot and then wait. Even the birds in the same group could potentially not notice. I have shot birds before only to have their friends run about 10 yards away and then come back and put a whooping on his downed buddy. They hear thunder all the time. Take that youth and go get them a bird.... ;D Good luck.

ThunderChickenGetter

No luck this morning. Roosted one last night from a distance but the temperature dropped to the mid 30's overnight and all the birds were tight lipped. Never heard the first gobble this morning and never seen a bird.

sixbird

I think the thing that could make the birds leave would be constant disturbance as in them seeing you over and over and getting spooked that way. Like others have said it isn't uncommon for birds from the same flock to jump on one that's just been shot...Let 'em wander away. Try not to let 'em know you're there and definitely don't startle them if you can help it...Distant shots aren't going to effect them at all. They hear all sorts of noises regularly, from farmers driving noisy equipment, to dropping things and distant talking/shouting, to thunder and jets going over...You won't have a problem...

owlhoot

Quote from: tomstopper on March 26, 2016, 07:32:33 AM

^^^This. Those birds from two separate groups will have no clue as to what just happened if you just shoot and then wait. Even the birds in the same group could potentially not notice. I have shot birds before only to have their friends run about 10 yards away and then come back and put a whooping on his downed buddy. They hear thunder all the time. Take that youth and go get them a bird.... ;D Good luck.
Agreed

turkeyfoot

Should have no effect on another group of birds just sneak out quietly and all that'll happen is you'll probably get a shock gobble from one of them

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase