OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Will shooting disturb turkeys

Started by ThunderChickenGetter, March 25, 2016, 10:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenGetter

Went in to my farm this morning and listened to some birds gobble. Had 3 birds on the ridge that I was on gobbling their heads off while the next ridge over there was two more birds hammering away. My plan was to take a youth in the morning and try to get him a bird during youth season and I was wondering if him killing one out of these groups would mess up any birds on the opposite ridges.

Gamblinman

I doubt it. I shoot all the time at the range at my lease. An hour later, there will be turkeys strutting in the same place.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

TauntoHawk

I've see a group of 3, we killed one went back the next day shot #2 and went back the next day and killed the 3rd bird all from the same roost location. All real nice river bottom 3yr old + birds

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

turkey_slayer

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 25, 2016, 10:40:28 AM
I've see a group of 3, we killed one went back the next day shot #2 and went back the next day and killed the 3rd bird all from the same roost location. All real nice river bottom 3yr old + birds

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yep we've done the same. Even killed a bird the next day after my buddy filled his body full of lead the previous day. Acted like nothing was wrong but his lower breast was shot up

WisTurk

Agreed.  They may be a bit spooky for a little bit after, but it shouldn't drive them off the property.

ThunderChickenGetter

True, we hunt together most of the season and was just wondering if we took a risk of messing up the season later on by killing one now while they're still grouped up.

Greg Massey

What you saw or heard this morning was unpressured birds going about their daily movements. After you shoot within the group you will change his daily pattern and it will take a few days for them to calm down. It all has to do with how you pressure the birds in his roost area. Regardless what your looking for in the morning is the opportunities to introduce a young hunter the experience of a lifetime ...  I agree it's all about taking a kid hunting and introducing him or her to turkey hunting..

J-Shaped

Quote from: MDTOM84 on March 25, 2016, 10:59:51 AM
If the kid does get a bird, well then it is well worth taking the risk of scaring them!!! :icon_thumright:

This. You'll be fine. Good luck with the youth.

Dr Juice

JMO, continued pressure affects the birds patterns not shooting occasionally at the range.

wvmntnhick

Well, I'm ashamed to admit this but last year, on two separate occasions, I called in the same group of three bearded birds. I missed on two separate occasions. Hit a twig with one, clipped some grass on the second and the third time they came in, things just didn't work out for me to get a shot at all. How do I know it was the same birds? It was 2 jakes and one long beard. One of the jakes had wings with more white than usual. Roasted within the same couple trees every evening. Came from the same direction every morning. Their last time though they got sneaky. Came through the woods to my right instead of following the field edge. Had I taken the shotgun, it'd have been a dead bird the first time. Certainly the second time. Third time, still a no.

Cutt

That wouldn't even be a concern to me, as for those who only hunt Public have no control over what happens. I know on Public you hear many shots, many misses and some kills and you can still kill one, they just end up a bit more wary. So in your case where it sounds like you have some control as to what goes on there, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Dr Juice

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 25, 2016, 12:30:07 PM
Well, I'm ashamed to admit this but last year, on two separate occasions, I called in the same group of three bearded birds. I missed on two separate occasions. Hit a twig with one, clipped some grass on the second and the third time they came in, things just didn't work out for me to get a shot at all. How do I know it was the same birds? It was 2 jakes and one long beard. One of the jakes had wings with more white than usual. Roasted within the same couple trees every evening. Came from the same direction every morning. Their last time though they got sneaky. Came through the woods to my right instead of following the field edge. Had I taken the shotgun, it'd have been a dead bird the first time. Certainly the second time. Third time, still a no.
We all miss or just screw it up once in awhile. You must be some caller to tangle with the same birds on a number of occasions.  :turkey2:

Happy

With my boy I have a flock of what I call "training" birds. These are unpressured birds that reside on the backside of the property. I have permission to hunt this land but it is small. I have never personally carried a gun back there and never will. Now I know these birds about as well as anyone could and it's about as good of odds for success as you get around here. However my rule is that only one tom gets taken per year. And even with that limited pressure it usually takes a week or two for the birds to settle back to their normal pattern after we take one.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

J.D. Shellnut

Hopefully I'll find out in the morning!!!!! LOL
60% of the time it works every time!