turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New snake boots = blisters OUCH

Started by turkey buster, March 24, 2016, 09:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

Went scouting today and walked about 4 miles. Halfway through the adventure my heels started hurting and upon returning home I have blisters on the back of both heels as big as a golf ball or slightly bigger. Any advice on what I can do until these boots are broke in?

Yoder409

Don't lace them too tightly...........and looser as you go up.  Wear a pair of quality snake boot socks with a pair of poly sock liners underneath.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

turkey buster

They are zip ups but I can try the socks. I've heard dress socks under your regular socks work sometimes but I don't want my feet to sweat that bad

357MAGNOLE

You can also look up this stuff called "mole skin" its like an adhesive on one side and then a layer of cloth with felt like material on the other side. We use them in the military when braking in new boots. Just put it on like tape over the back of your heels.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=moleskin+for+feet&tag=mh0b-20&index=hpc&hvadid=1470840935&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_k15q0zjlz_e
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Hookinembig

Easiest and cheapest way to avoid blisters when breaking in any boot is athletic tape. I will just put a couple of pieces across any area on the back of my heel or achilles tendon and it will keep you from getting blisters until the boots are broken in. Just put the tape directly on your skin then put your sock over top. No need for extra socks. Works like a charm for me. I have used mole skin in the past but the tape works just as well.   

turkey buster

Does it (mole skins) attach to the inside of the boot or to the back of your socks? Might seem like a silly question but I'd hate to tape anything to the back of my heels right now. Season opens Saturday and I'm in limp mode now. Lol

turkey buster

I'll be trying these ideas. Wish I'd known earlier today this would've happened and I'd sure done some preventative maintenance

BowBendr

Quote from: Hookinembig on March 24, 2016, 09:46:59 PM
Easiest and cheapest way to avoid blisters when breaking in any boot is athletic tape. I will just put a couple of pieces across any area on the back of my heel or achilles tendon and it will keep you from getting blisters until the boots are broken in. Just put the tape directly on your skin then put your sock over top. No need for extra socks. Works like a charm for me. I have used mole skin in the past but the tape works just as well.

X2
The tape is cheap and it works wonders...although, it will be awhile til you can get tape anywhere near them blisters. Ouch !

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

turkey buster

I've got some boots that are so broke in that aren't snake boots that the heels have holes in them. I'll look like a poor boy in the woods Saturday but I imagine that's the only ones I'll be able to wear for now.

Thanks for the ideas on how to correct this for future uses

Dtrkyman

duct tape works fantastic over blisters and preferably before! 

357MAGNOLE

The mole skin attaches to your heel. Give your feet a couple days rest and it won't be an issue. I used this stuff all the time with new boots. It makes life way better.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Moleskin with petroleum jelly applied to it

boatpaddle

Cut the center out of your moleskin so it's a bit bigger then your blisters...If need be, you can add a second layer with the center cut out...

The boot won't rub your sore blisters, because of the moleskin....The center of the moleskin being cut out, keeps the blister from having any type pressure on it....

NEVER use petroleum products on blisters......It irritates the skin even more, plus it could cause a terrible infection....

If there is seam with stitching the heal of the boot......Cover it with a piece of duct tape....

To break in a pair of boots to form fit your foot......Fill each boot about 3/4 full of warm water. Wear a pair of sock's like you normally would wear...Walk with the boots for about an hour or so....
    This will soften the leather enough to form fit your feet....Pour the water out, stuff the boots full of newspaper and let dry for a couple of days....Sounds crazy, but it works...

I did this to every pair of jungle or jump boots, while I was in the Army....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Narf

Wear the sock liners outside your socks.  Puts the friction on the liner.  But more importantly wicks the moisture off your feet and socks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: boatpaddle on March 24, 2016, 11:17:11 PM
Cut the center out of your moleskin so it's a bit bigger then your blisters...If need be, you can add a second layer with the center cut out...

The boot won't rub your sore blisters, because of the moleskin....The center of the moleskin being cut out, keeps the blister from having any type pressure on it....

NEVER use petroleum products on blisters......It irritates the skin even more, plus it could cause a terrible infection....

If there is seam with stitching the heal of the boot......Cover it with a piece of duct tape....

To break in a pair of boots to form fit your foot......Fill each boot about 3/4 full of warm water. Wear a pair of sock's like you normally would wear...Walk with the boots for about an hour or so....
    This will soften the leather enough to form fit your feet....Pour the water out, stuff the boots full of newspaper and let dry for a couple of days....Sounds crazy, but it works...

I did this to every pair of jungle or jump boots, while I was in the Army....

You don't put petroleum on the blister.

You put moleskin on the blister or inflamed  area and then a light coat of petroleum jelly on the surface of the moleskin.

This was what we did as athletes in high school and college and it's what I've done for breaking in any problematic hunting boot.