Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How much difference does barrel length make?

Started by yella yelper, March 24, 2016, 08:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yella yelper

Ever been sitting around a fire having a friendly argument with your buddies about how much difference barrel lengths does or does not make?  I know a longer Barrel would put up better numbers but I did not know how much better. 5? 10? 25? 35? Well I've got some numbers for you now. Just got in from the back yard and shot four rounds out of my 3 inch 870 all with a Jellyhead 660 choke at a lasered 40 yards.  The two rounds I chose to shoot were my old white Hevi 13 number 6s and Winchester longbeard number 6s. The two barrels I shot were a 21" and a 28" to get the biggest difference I could.  Temperature was 60°. Here are the numbers:

Old white #6 H13:
21" barrel = 135
28" barrel = 168
+33 pellets, 24% better

Longbeard #6
21" barrel = 171
28" barrel = 197
+26 pellets, 15% better

So there you have it. I usually prefer the shorter barrel for improved maneuverability, but knowing I have a barrel that'll shoot 197 is hard to leave at home.  That's a decision I have to make myself but now I know.

BrowningGuy88

I'll take the short barrel any day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Would seem that anything short of sawing back the 28" barrel to 21" and re-threading it, it would be hard to discount internal variations in chambers and forcing cones between the two barrels.

But I'd say your 28" barrel would be the go-to if you're dead set on counting holes.   :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

turkey buster

My short barrel puts up similar numbers to yours. I love how easy it is to maneuver around on a turkey and it's still slinging enough lead to kill

yella yelper

I've always been a short barrel guy but results are hard to ignore. I'll hang every limb in the woods on my first hunt with it and slap that 21" back on most likely

Gobspur

All other things equal, yes.  But I can find choke/load combos for shorter barrels that can achieve the 28 inch barrel numbers.  interesting experiment though, thanks for the info.

turkey buster

yella yelper

You're exactly right, I'll come to my senses eventually. Still got nearly a month till AR season. I'm setting up a 20 ga as well and that'll further complicate my decision

turkey buster

Good lord willing our season opens Saturday here in Louisiana

Them 20 gauges are impressive with the heavyweight #7's! I'm working on one myself. I had it shooting good last year but stripped it down to put a Mossyoak Bottomland skin on it. Probably won't have it ready for a few weeks between hunting and work

yella yelper

Here's the pattern of the LB 6s out of the 21" barrel

BandedSpur

Also don't forget, you're getting "free" velocity shooting the longer barrel while also doing less damage to your ears.

greencop01

While the 28 inch barrel has better numbers I'll say the advantages the 21 inch barrel brings to the table outweighs the numbers. I don't get hang-up on branches walking in the woods, ease of movement, easier tracking on target, no trimming in set up, lighter, easier carrying and last year had five hens within twenty feet of me and held waiting for a tom to clear a berm, and got a shot off last day of the season, and a bird down. For me give me a short barrel.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: yella yelper on March 24, 2016, 08:58:08 PM
Ever been sitting around a fire having a friendly argument with your buddies about how much difference barrel lengths does or does not make?  I know a longer Barrel would put up better numbers but I did not know how much better. 5? 10? 25? 35? Well I've got some numbers for you now. Just got in from the back yard and shot four rounds out of my 3 inch 870 all with a Jellyhead 660 choke at a lasered 40 yards.  The two rounds I chose to shoot were my old white Hevi 13 number 6s and Winchester longbeard number 6s. The two barrels I shot were a 21" and a 28" to get the biggest difference I could.  Temperature was 60°. Here are the numbers:

Old white #6 H13:
21" barrel = 135
28" barrel = 168
+33 pellets, 24% better

Longbeard #6
21" barrel = 171
28" barrel = 197
+26 pellets, 15% better

So there you have it. I usually prefer the shorter barrel for improved maneuverability, but knowing I have a barrel that'll shoot 197 is hard to leave at home.  That's a decision I have to make myself but now I know.

That's very good information and a very fair comparison.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."