OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another hunter moving in on your set

Started by fallhnt, March 23, 2016, 08:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

What have you done to let them know you're there and did it work?                                                                                                                                                                                 
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

fallhnt

Years ago my buddy used his bad sounding crow call and the guy went back the way he came. This was on public land!
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

steveo

I get nervous when I see this and talk loud if within earshot, I want to make sure they know I'm there ! No turkey worth getting shot over.

surehuntsalot

sometimes yell, sometimes I mess with them and get the peacock call out
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

turkey_slayer

I would be called an a hole if I told ya lol. I would never knowingly cut in on someone and expect the same.

wvmntnhick

I've never had to hunt turkeys on public land so I'm lucky. We've had people cut us off on the club though. We generally just move along and find another bird.

Gobspur

I yell - Hey, hunter over here dumbass!  I don't move cause some idiot with a hairpin trigger will end up shooting

Cutt

Hunting on Public you have to consider any hen you hear, could be a hunter? Although that doesn't work on Public with some hunters. I have a certain guy that has came in on me the last 3 years in the same area. He does a lot of walking and calling, so once I hear him coming I call a lot and loud on a boxcall figuring he'll go the other way, but dosen't work with this a hole.

So I sneak out without him seeing me, wait till he calls and give him a few distant gobbles and leave. Seems to keep him occupied as I don't see him then after moving to another spot.

silvestris

Quote from: Cutt on March 23, 2016, 11:18:37 PM
Hunting on Public you have to consider any hen you hear, could be a hunter? Although that doesn't work on Public with some hunters. I have a certain guy that has came in on me the last 3 years in the same area. He does a lot of walking and calling, so once I hear him coming I call a lot and loud on a boxcall figuring he'll go the other way, but dosen't work with this a hole.

So I sneak out without him seeing me, wait till he calls and give him a few distant gobbles and leave. Seems to keep him occupied as I don't see him then after moving to another spot.

I do the same with the gobbles to lock the a-holes in place.  But remember, you are doing the same as this a-hole when you run'n'gun on public ground.  If you want to quickly educate the turkeys on your private domain, have at it.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

OldSchool

If they're close I try to read body language. If they look like they're all keyed up and itching to shoot, I'll speak up without moving. Otherwise, I may wait til they notice me and hopefully back off. If they're far enough away that I don't have to worry about getting shot, I may give them a slow wave to get their attention. Then there are the guys that come charging in, making enough noise to scare every bird in hearing. Some may not know better, but I'd swear some of them do it intentionally just to screw somebody else out of a bird.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Cutt

Quote from: silvestris on March 24, 2016, 06:12:53 AM
I do the same with the gobbles to lock the a-holes in place.

You do the same but you're not educating them?

But remember, you are doing the same as this a-hole when you run'n'gun on public ground.

Who said I was running and gunning? This happens when I'm sitting in a spot I like. And your statement isn't true. One can run and gun without bumping others if you have a liitle common sense. This guy comes into my hen calls, I never approach hen calls and consider it another hunter. And most hunters can tell a real hen from someone calling, as I make it obvious to this hunter when I know he's coming, but just don't get it.

If you want to quickly educate the turkeys on your private domain, have at it.

Again, you do the same, but your not educating them? And who said anything about my Private Domain, it's Public. I really don't understand your reply, as it is very contradictive?

derek

"Oh that was you calling? I thought you were a real hen"    :OGturkeyhead:
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

goblr77

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 23, 2016, 09:58:38 PM
sometimes yell, sometimes I mess with them and get the peacock call out

:icon_thumright: Good idea. I might need to start toting my peacock call again. That thing will scare the crap out of somebody.

tha bugman

I whistle or say hey in a low tone and increase until I get their attention.  Had folks wave at me.  I aint doing that.

SteelerFan

Quote from: tha bugman on March 24, 2016, 10:06:18 AM
I whistle or say hey in a low tone and increase until I get their attention.  Had folks wave at me.  I aint doing that.
When I used to hunt more public - X2 on whistle or "hey" if they appear within sight unannounced.

If I'm "working" a hunter from several hundred yds away, answering my calls, then it depends on the situation. If I'm where I want or need to be, and don't want to move... I'll try an owl hoot. Otherwise, I'll walk away without calling.

I realize not every hunter enters the woods with the competence they should, but cheese & crackers I can't stand someone "stalking" a yelping "hen". Stalking, period.