turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Reasonable expectations

Started by yella yelper, March 23, 2016, 02:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yella yelper

This forum is getting expensive for me! Ok, here's what I've got. My wife has an 870 Youth model 20ga with 21" barrel just sitting in the safe waiting to be woken up. After reading on here, it seems Sumtoy 562 is about what I need or a Carlson. I don't want to do any machine work to the gun, just deep clean, screw in choke, and hunt. 

What are reasonable expectations for 3" Fed HW #7s out of this gun in the 10" at 40 yards? Average, good, and exceptional. Thanks guys

PEHunter

I don't have a youth model, just a plain old express with a 26" barrel, and it shots a nice Even 40 yard pattern that averages 190 in 10 inches. With Fed HW 3-1.5-7. All I did to it was deep clean it and add a Sumtoy 562-5 choke.  It not the same exact model as yours but hopefully you will have similar results or better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R AJ

You should have a very acceptable pattern with your gun. The only thing you could run into is having to put a sight
of some sort on it but I do well just using the bead sight provided.
Get the 562-5 choke. All the fancy is on the inside of it.

If you want a more open choke the Carlson 575 does well also. Those shells have a $10 per box rebate now with a 2 box limit.

owlhoot

A few different chokes in mine, 140-170 average.

PEHunter

Quote from: RAJ on March 23, 2016, 06:01:04 PM
You should have a very acceptable pattern with your gun. The only thing you could run into is having to put a sight
of some sort on it but I do well just using the bead sight provided.
Get the 562-5 choke. All the fancy is on the inside of it.

If you want a more open choke the Carlson 575 does well also. Those shells have a $10 per box rebate now with a 2 box limit.
RAJ. makes a good point about adding a sight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Full strut

I'm glad you asked this question. I will be building a very similar gun this summer to keep the turkey itch at bay until duck season  :icon_thumright:

g8rvet

With exact same gun,  I used a Trulock, but only because they are close to me, Sumtoy is perfect too. Either should get you excellent numbers. 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,51321.msg509897.html#msg509897

I think you should expect 150s.  I got high 160s at 40 yards.  I did need to get a sight and I just bought a Truglo clamp on.  It was so nice, I decided I wanted a little more open for my daughter and I got her a Remington Full choke and it is similar at 30 yards, but quite a bit more open at 15. 

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

357MAGNOLE

Between 4 different chokes I went from the 110's (Truglo SSX), 130's (RSF), 150's (Carlson's), 160's (Trulock)

I stock with the Carlson's because I liked that pattern the most and the consistency for POA/POI from 20,25,30,35,40.  Pattern was nice and even and my most dense 10" portion was around my POA.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

yella yelper

Thanks fellas. I got a Sumtoy ordered today. I'll update next week after I get a chance to shoot it.

I've got a set of sights to put on it if necessary.

I'll hope for 170 but expect 140

yella yelper

Well got my choke in and picked up a box of shells. Sumtoy said it would do 140-150 and he was right. Thoughts? I'll add I was using standard front bead as only aiming device and it appears to be dead on

Tom Foolery

Solid

What's the 20" look like?

sevetts

I wouldn't mess with anything besides a turkeys head, unless your wife has a hard time keeping her head down using the bead and you plan on her or a youth using the gun. Your gun will kill like any other you've ever shot, it's 40yrd legit now. Good luck.

chatterbox

Sweet pattern!
Now go kill'em!  :icon_thumright:

yella yelper

Wife doesn't turkey hunt so the gun should be all mine.  My only complaint is that the trigger is terrible! It is the only turkey gun I've had that shoots dead on with only front bead so that means a lot to me

Tom Foolery