OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is the longest you have had to wait to hunt?

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 23, 2016, 11:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchool

I've never thought about it til now, but I can't remember ever missing an opener and like some of the others, I'll go if I've only got an hour to hunt. I almost always hunt by myself and I'll hunt in pretty much anything but driving rain. If It's coming down in sheets I'll wait.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Farmboy27

I have to wait till half hour before sunrise opening day every year. That's too long!  But seriously, I wouldn't let rain keep me out of the woods and I say if you have 45 minutes that you can hunt, then hunt. But then again most of my spots are all within 5 minute drive of my house.

turkeyfoot

Can't say I've ever had to wait long never missed opening week when it comes to turkeys I make time no matter the weather now if we were talking deer I get in no hurry opening week the next makes no difference to me. Killed many birds in rain unless the weather is life threatening go go go turkey season is short and long time till comes back around YOU ONLY GET ONE SPRING A YEAR TAKE ADVANTAGE

Hookinembig

Last year I missed the first week because I was sick as a dog. It about killed me but the first day out I connected. So I can't complain too much.

wvmntnhick

I usually have to wait until the first weekend at least. Just one of those work things you know. Having to be at work by 7:20 doesn't give much time to actually hunt the mornings without a greater risk of boogering the birds up. Rather than do that, I'd just take a pass. Two years ago I took the Thursday and Friday of the first week off to hunt with a buddy of mine. That was pretty darned cool. Spoke to him today. Looks like we're going to try that again and see what happens. Just got the green light from my wife so I'm golden right now.

alloutdoors

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 23, 2016, 11:31:30 AM
I could hunt this week, but I'd rather make excuses not to.

There, fixed that for you. This is the exact same belly aching you subjected us all to last year and frankly I had more than enough of it then. Sorry if it seems like I'm being unnecessarily harsh, but lots of us tried to motivate and encourage you last year and it clearly went in one ear and out the other. Like someone told you last spring, we'd all be happy to help you out but you have to be willing to help yourself first. The only valid reasons to not be in the woods during turkey season are work/school, birth of a child, a death in the family (has to be an immediate relative), serious bodily injury, or... no actually that's pretty much it. Everything else is just excuses.

For those that don't know:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,54644.html
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,54935.html
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,55327.html

tomstopper

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 23, 2016, 08:54:57 PM
Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 23, 2016, 11:31:30 AM
I could hunt this week, but I'd rather make excuses not to.

There, fixed that for you. This is the exact same belly aching you subjected us all to last year and frankly I had more than enough of it then. Sorry if it seems like I'm being unnecessarily harsh, but lots of us tried to motivate and encourage you last year and it clearly went in one ear and out the other. Like someone told you last spring, we'd all be happy to help you out but you have to be willing to help yourself first. The only valid reasons to not be in the woods during turkey season are work/school, birth of a child, a death in the family (has to be an immediate relative), serious bodily injury, or... no actually that's pretty much it. Everything else is just excuses.

For those that don't know:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,54644.html
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,54935.html
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,55327.html
My longest was about 2.5 years and that was due to being deployed and training while in the Marines (Iraq and Spring Gunnery with the M1A1. Tried but never could get permission to take leave during this time period.) Alloutdoors, I think you left out military service...lol.

alloutdoors

Quote from: tomstopper on March 23, 2016, 09:01:14 PM
My longest was about 2.5 years and that was due to being deployed and training while in the Marines (Iraq and Spring Gunnery with the M1A1. Tried but never could get permission to take leave during this time period.) Alloutdoors, I think you left out military service...lol.

I think it falls under work, even though it's a whole other level. Thanks for your service.  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

tomstopper

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 23, 2016, 10:07:31 PM
Quote from: tomstopper on March 23, 2016, 09:01:14 PM

I think it falls under work, even though it's a whole other level. Thanks for your service.  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Your welcome. That was a hard time not being able to chase the birds I loved to chase since I was 14...... I think I have made up for it since then though...

Ihuntoldschool

I hunt when I can and don't moan or whine because it's raining or it's the afternoon.   You should be thankful you can legally hunt in the afternoon.

turkey buster

I missed an entire season working in Afghanistan

Happy

First off thank all you gentlemen for your sacrifice in the line of duty. I don't think you guys get near the recognition you deserve. Now personally I hunt every chance I can get free but I do make it a point to make it to all my children's games, school functions, and important family functions. It's a busy and hectic life but since I didn't have a father I want to give my children the best effort I can.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

sps20

Broke my back in a car accident 3\05. Was headed for Florida on the 15th.
Then onto ok.,kan.,nm.,neb. then home to Pa. and ny. Waited 35 years for
this trip. Guess I'll wait till next year.
Regards
Turk

tomstopper

Quote from: Treerooster on March 24, 2016, 10:57:18 AM
Had hip replacement surgery just this last Mar 2nd.

I am heading out today to catch the NE archery opener tomorrow. Won't be a lot of running and gunning but at least I will be out there.
AMEN. Cant kill'em from the couch. Good luck Treerooster

J.D. Shellnut

Mr gobbler is gonna do what he has to do regardless of what the weather is doing. Don't let the weather take your time. Remember unless a turkey is dead they are on their feet! lol
60% of the time it works every time!