OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is the longest you have had to wait to hunt?

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 23, 2016, 11:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Looks like I will be missing the first two weeks of the season due to work and rain. What is the longest you have had to wait before you could get out in the woods for your first hunt of the season?

I could hunt this week, but I would have to either hunt the mornings in the rain, or hunt the afternoons after work (in the woods by 4:30pm). Plus, I would have to hunt by myself, not that that is really a deal breaker...

davisd9

Not seeing much rain in the forecast to be overly concerned with. I will be out Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Monday morning in the midlands. Should be good hunting

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

spaightlabs

Had to wait until Memorial Day weekend a few years back.

Long wait, but worth it.

Gobspur

Rain, snow, wind...go hunt.  Being out there is what matters and I always learn something.  Wife and I just had a baby boy last night.  I'll be hitting the road in two weeks to hunt.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: lindllc on March 23, 2016, 12:22:36 PM
Rain, snow, wind...go hunt.  Being out there is what matters and I always learn something.  Wife and I just had a baby boy last night.  I'll be hitting the road in two weeks to hunt.

Congratulations!

buck_hunter21

I had to wait 2 or 3 days back when I was in college. It was a really long wait after getting all kinds of updates from friends who had knocked down birds opening day.
Spill Blood

deerbasshunter3

Since we are talking about it, what are the chances that if other people are able to hunt before I get a chance to that it will mess up any opportunity for me to be successful? Does that solely depend on whether or not they shoot a bird or not?

TauntoHawk

If I can get an hour to hunt turkeys i'll do it. I've had a bunch of hunts that didnt last more than a minute after fly down or were finished within 5min of stepping out of the vehicle.

Last year i was hiking 2miles before daylight to be where I needed to, hunted for 45min and would jog, yes jog out and change at the car in order to get to work on time. Killed birds 2 of the 4 mornings I did that within 5min of fly down.

Also outside of rain so hard its sideways, or lightning... rain can be an awesome time to kill a bird. Light rain they often head for fields and wet leaves makes slipping right inside the bedroom and setting up under the roost a breeze.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Marc

Sometimes you cannot control the work, but the rain certainly would not stop me...

Not a fan of hunting with a partner for turkeys, unless I am taking someone out to get a bird.  I would far prefer to hunt by myself.  Generally two people and one turkey at the most...  By myself, I get to call it, and if it comes in I get to shoot it...  If I goof it up it is my fault and not someone else's.

Feel bad for you on the work, but hunting by yourself or in the rain...  Sorry, the sympathy is not flowing on this end.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Marc on March 23, 2016, 12:58:21 PM
Sometimes you cannot control the work, but the rain certainly would not stop me...

Not a fan of hunting with a partner for turkeys, unless I am taking someone out to get a bird.  I would far prefer to hunt by myself.  Generally two people and one turkey at the most...  By myself, I get to call it, and if it comes in I get to shoot it...  If I goof it up it is my fault and not someone else's.

Feel bad for you on the work, but hunting by yourself or in the rain...  Sorry, the sympathy is not flowing on this end.

Not looking for sympathy, just advice.

jed clampett

I like hunting by myself...it also would not matter to me if it was cold,hot,rain,snow,wind...if the seasons open...I'm gone!!!   you gots to take what mother nature offers..

Gobble!

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 23, 2016, 11:31:30 AM
Looks like I will be missing the first two weeks of the season due to work and rain. What is the longest you have had to wait before you could get out in the woods for your first hunt of the season?

I could hunt this week, but I would have to either hunt the mornings in the rain, or hunt the afternoons after work (in the woods by 4:30pm). Plus, I would have to hunt by myself, not that that is really a deal breaker...

Sounds like you have plenty of time. Get a rain suit. These are turkeys not deer, get in the woods any time you can.

fallhnt

I'll be leaving for NE and KS archery season in less than 2 weeks. Go hunt in the rain and after work.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dr Juice

About 335-days ... May 31st 2015 (Closer) to May 1 2016 (Opener)  :TooFunny:

I'm a turkey hunting addict. I need some  :help:

Marc

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 23, 2016, 01:04:22 PM
Not looking for sympathy, just advice.

Just givin' ya a bad time...  My advice, hunt in the rain and by yourself...  Bet you will find you enjoy turkey hunting by yourself more.

I have very limited time to hunt this season...  I will hunt every day I am able no matter the weather.  If I could get out in the afternoon, I would, if I could only go for an hour or two in the morning, I would.  If I could go from noon to 2pm, I would...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.