OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Moss 935 choke

Started by Matt74, March 22, 2016, 09:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt74

Just ordered a mossberg camo 935 22" pistol grip. :character0029: Whats the best choke for it? Im thinking Kicks .690. What do you recommend? Prob try some Long Beards, Mag blends, and maybe Nitro.
Thanks, Matt

vagobbler67

I have 3  Mossberg 935's.......2 of them sport Indian Creek Black Diamond Strikes .675 and the 3rd one has a Kick's .675.....................If I had to buy one choke it would be the Indian Creek .675.....awesome choke for many different kinds of turkey shells!!!!!   sounds like most people that shoot 935's or 835's settle on chokes that are .675 in diameter.......Good Luck

Matt74

Quote from: vagobbler67 on March 22, 2016, 09:17:52 PM
I have 3  Mossberg 935's.......2 of them sport Indian Creek Black Diamond Strikes .675 and the 3rd one has a Kick's .675.....................If I had to buy one choke it would be the Indian Creek .675.....awesome choke for many different kinds of turkey shells!!!!!   sounds like most people that shoot 935's or 835's settle on chokes that are .675 in diameter.......Good Luck
What loads are you shooting? Nitro's website recommends a Jelly Head .690 for there loads?

vagobbler67

My son's 935 24" barrel is set up with an I.C. .675 shooting Federal Heavyweight 3.5" #7......shoots in the low 200's
My 935 22" barrel is set up with a kicks .675 shooting Winchester extended range 3.5' #6....shooting in the mid to upper hundreds but never over 200
My spare 935 that I bought because the deal was too good to pass up came with a I.C .675 also and is set up to shoot 3.5" longbeard XR's #6...........shoots in the low 200's also
I have shot magblend's thru the I.C. .675  and the pattern is awesome.....well over 200
Nitro recommends that size choke if your shooting their shells I believe????
I would go with something that has  a .675 diameter........Oh I also played with a tru glo SSX choke tube and they are pretty sweet too

I also had a 835 that has since been sold that had a hasting .675 in it back when I shot Winchester lead shells

Matt74

Thanks for the reply gobbler. I'll definitely look into that.

mightyjoeyoung

Any choke that works well in the 835 will work in the 935.  .670-.690 range will suffice.   I'm getting fantastic patterns with the truglo  SSX and Smackdown chokes and Pure Gold .670s and the .690 Jellyhead gives me beautiful hunting patterns.   More open, but more wiggle room and very even patterns.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Buckeye_Strutter_935

truglo ssx is whzt i have in my 935 and i shoot winchester long beard xr no. 5 and its one of the best combos around.......trust me
Feathers Fear Me

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Matt74 on March 22, 2016, 09:02:27 PM
Just ordered a mossberg camo 935 22" pistol grip. :character0029: Whats the best choke for it? Im thinking Kicks .690. What do you recommend? Prob try some Long Beards, Mag blends, and maybe Nitro.
Thanks, Matt

I've been shooting 835s, a 935 and the SSi-ONE for years. All have the same overbored barrel. All do well with the SSX, Hevi-13 and the Bone Collector chokes. The most important thing you can do when you get that gun is to "deep clean" the bore. Mossberg 835s were the reason I wrote that article and it's as important today as it was way back then. http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/tagged/cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel Nothing will help you optimize the performance of your 935 like that process.

Lastly, with that short barrel, a choke in the .670-676 exit diameter will be most beneficial, in my experience.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Philippe

Sticks with the Winchester Longbeards, grab a choke from Sumtoy, Kicks .680, or the SSX.

Matt74

Thanks everyone for the awesome information!!! I'm looking forward to getting this thing out and seeing what it will do. Very interesting information on the deep clean. That is the first time I've heard of that. Is it kind of like breaking in a rifle barrel by shooting and cleaning it multiple times?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Matt74 on March 23, 2016, 08:44:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the awesome information!!! I'm looking forward to getting this thing out and seeing what it will do. Very interesting information on the deep clean. That is the first time I've heard of that. Is it kind of like breaking in a rifle barrel by shooting and cleaning it multiple times?
Here's a link to an article that I wrote many years ago about breaking in a choke tube. You might find it interesting.
http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98764039-breaking-in-a-choke-tube

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

knightrider

pure gold 670 longbeard 3in #5 and a deep clean, you can thank me later :OGturkeyhead:

Matt74

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 24, 2016, 10:36:55 AM
Here's a link to an article that I wrote many years ago about breaking in a choke tube. You might find it interesting.

Thanks,
Clark
My understanding is that I can do the deep clean on the barrel and the choke at the same time. Then shoot multiple rounds of bird shot to help break-in (smooth out) the choke.  Is this correct?
Thanks, Matt

Dr Juice

Quote from: Matt74 on March 24, 2016, 07:38:02 PM
Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 24, 2016, 10:36:55 AM

Thanks,
Clark
My understanding is that I can do the deep clean on the barrel and the choke at the same time. Then shoot multiple rounds of bird shot to help break-in (smooth out) the choke.  Is this correct?
Thanks, Matt
That is what I am tracking. Hopefully, Clark can confirm it for us.

mightyjoeyoung

You CAN but the choke might make it difficult to run a brush or thick patch through the barrel.  I usually just throw in a modified choke and do my deep clean and clean the choke separately...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.