Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas Non-Resident turkey hunters: Get ready to PAY $185!!!

Started by busta biggun, March 21, 2016, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolandstrutters

Doesn't bother me.  If anything it will keep the number of out of staters down.  And I'm one of them!

hobbes

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 21, 2016, 09:41:06 PM
Quote from: nativeks on March 21, 2016, 09:13:05 PM
It was a slap in the face to residents at the old prices and we finally got that in the right person's ear. I wish it was higher.
Afraid some nonresident is going to kill all your birds? Sorry just never understood that mentality. We're all Americans in my eyes. I couldn't care less who comes here. Back to the op. Turkey tags are getting ridiculous but with the popularity of hunting them the states see $$$. My tags will run $625 and that's just for a couple of states. When it costs as much to kill a 20lb bird that's literally everywhere as it does to kill a 800lb bull that's not that's what chaps my butt

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Let me know where you can find a NR bull tag for $185.

hobbes

Quote from: Treerooster on March 23, 2016, 08:48:26 AM
Quote from: spaightlabs on March 23, 2016, 08:27:54 AM
hmmmm, so kill first and then buy a tag?

Sorry man, just like any other hunting or fishing - gotta have all the necessary licenses/tags/permits before you hunt.

I think you are a bit off in your thinking spaightlabs. Its a legit question.

KS calls the first tag a "Turkey Permit" and the 2nd tag a "Turkey Game Tag"

So yes you can purchase your turkey permit and then if you kill a turkey purchase a game tag. I have always got my tags online but I am pretty sure you can get KS tags at vendors around the state.

Yes........this is how it works.  You can purchase at any local vendor.  Walmart worked for me.

MerriamMac

I'd rather spend the money on gas and food, hotels, liquor, etc.....

hookedspur

Naw it's not worth it ,everyone should just stay home this year.
There's no turkeys in Kansas anyway .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

turkey_slayer

Quote from: hobbes on March 23, 2016, 10:36:11 PM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 21, 2016, 09:41:06 PM
Quote from: nativeks on March 21, 2016, 09:13:05 PM
It was a slap in the face to residents at the old prices and we finally got that in the right person's ear. I wish it was higher.
Afraid some nonresident is going to kill all your birds? Sorry just never understood that mentality. We're all Americans in my eyes. I couldn't care less who comes here. Back to the op. Turkey tags are getting ridiculous but with the popularity of hunting them the states see $$$. My tags will run $625 and that's just for a couple of states. When it costs as much to kill a 20lb bird that's literally everywhere as it does to kill a 800lb bull that's not that's what chaps my butt

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Let me know where you can find a NR bull tag for $185.
Come on Hobbes re-read it. I said all my tags combined would be $625. Colorado and Idaho prices. That's only hunting 3 states as of now on NATIONAL FOREST, you know, that land that everyone pays for.  That's about 200 lbs of bird that is literally everywhere. Unless you have a osceola, oscellated, or goulds you have no premium. There are no states that have a higher percentage of "booner" birds

hobbes

I knew what you were referring to, but you compared a 20lb turkey to an 800 lb elk.  And we're talking a huge price difference by the "each" 

We pay for more than just the bird.  We pay for the experience to hunt in new places, and apparently that is a "premium" or we wouldn't keep shelling out the cash.

As far as federal land goes that was ruled on years ago.  The animals we chase are the state's and they set the price to hunt their wild game.

625 to hunt multiple states and multiple birds is not out of the ordinary.  Montana wants over $800 for a bull tag which gives absolutely no guarantee that you'll even see a bull let alone a booner.

stinkpickle

Kansas birds are now a premium since the NWTF started sending out their "There's No Place Like Kansas for Turkey Hunting" promotional emails this week.   :laugh:

spaightlabs

I think that is one of the frustrations a lot of KS res hunters feel - every time they turn around the KDWP is telling everyone and their brother to come to KS - the resource is plentiful, the people friendly and the hunting easy...NWTF is in on it now, Pheasants Forever, DU, every outdoor network - all of them pimping KS hunting.

If you have a pimp, that means there is a 'ho' out there somewhere and no one wants to feel like a ho and get used up, beat down and tossed aside.

Places like Cheyenne Bottoms get rode hard and put up wet and what used to be a gem has lost a lot of it's polish.

mgm1955

jarbo03

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 24, 2016, 11:01:23 AM
I think that is one of the frustrations a lot of KS res hunters feel - every time they turn around the KDWP is telling everyone and their brother to come to KS - the resource is plentiful, the people friendly and the hunting easy...NWTF is in on it now, Pheasants Forever, DU, every outdoor network - all of them pimping KS hunting.

If you have a pimp, that means there is a 'ho' out there somewhere and no one wants to feel like a ho and get used up, beat down and tossed aside.

Places like Cheyenne Bottoms get rode hard and put up wet and what used to be a gem has lost a lot of it's polish.

Exactly.   All I have wanted is for tags and licenses to be the same as the state's around us.  Until this year a NR could hunt upland, waterfowl,  and a turkey for less than $140.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

chcltlabz

Quote from: jarbo03 on March 24, 2016, 01:34:39 PM
Quote from: spaightlabs on March 24, 2016, 11:01:23 AM

Exactly.   All I have wanted is for tags and licenses to be the same as the state's around us.  Until this year a NR could hunt upland, waterfowl,  and a turkey for less than $140.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Most states around here have what's called a reciprocal license fee.  If you live in MD and hunt DE, you pay what a DE resident would pay to hunt MD.

Problem is, its not exactly the same.  PA does the same, but up there you get a deer tag and a spring and fall turkey tag as part of your base license.  Most states have tags or stamps for those.  In all, it washes out to be pretty close.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

drake799

I heard a man explain it to another man one time. Hunting is a luxury not a necessity if you can't afford it then get out of it. I'm sure that makes some people mad to hear but it's true.  So in reference to the non residents license increase  if that 60 dollars is gonna make That big a difference to you.  It sounds like you don't need to be going out of state anyway lol 

MerriamMac

Well that guy was wrong. HUNTING IS A RIGHT, any man that trys to tell you differently is probably an astritocrat or one of his petty slaves! ...

MerriamMac

....This is not england or spain, you dont have to be from royalty to hunt in the USA. In fact it behooves the broke hunter be to an intelligent, diligent and passionate hunter.

I've got more steak in my freezer than any rich guy I know, and I did it with 45 dollars!!!!

100 and whatever dollars is absolutely ridiculous for a turkey tag! :z-guntootsmiley: