Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas Non-Resident turkey hunters: Get ready to PAY $185!!!

Started by busta biggun, March 21, 2016, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redjones

I have been traveling to Kansas to hunt for over 25yrs. and can honestly say the deer hunting is not what it used to be,for quality deer anyway,not saying there all gone,just not like it was 12-15 yrs ago.
The turkey hunting is like any other State,good or bad depending on the weather,hatches,disease etc.
At one time the guys I hunt with and myself had probably 25-30 thousand acre's to hunt throughout the state, all we had to do was make some phone calls and let the landowners know we coming out that way.
One farm was 28 sections (do the math) and we were always welcome,no money involved ever,but my times sure have changed.
Is the price increase going to stop us from making our annual trip,no but it might affect some of the younger guys with families that are on a little tighter budget than us,and to be honest it was probably time for a hike.
One thing for sure its not going to get any cheaper to hunt in the future regardless of the game your after.
Good Luck this spring to everyone traveling to hunt and guys hunting at home,be safe and enjoy.

Greg

Semper Fi

beakbuster10

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 22, 2016, 12:54:57 PM
Quote from: nativeks on March 21, 2016, 09:55:48 PM
It's not about that. We pay thousands of dollars to Kansas every year in taxes. For someone to pay $10 more than a resident for a tag was a slap in our face showing us we don't matter. Kansas sportsman are tired of being crapped on and told we don't matter. We are also going after guide use on public land right now. If we have a premium product then charge a premium price.
Does your taxes fund the conservation or does it come from license fees? I agree on the premium but Kansas turkeys are not premium. The deer hunting on the other hand is

That was going to be my question. In Virginia, our Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries is a self sustaining (run from license revenue). Not sure how Kansas works but I can't imagine it's much different. That's one of the driving reason we can still hunt, we pay for the conservation of game animals and habitat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilbucksndux

I have never hunted Kansas but have opinions. I for one dont mind paying to play. I see to many times guys coming in to hunt DO NOT spend much money around like we all think and hope they do. 

For example...... Deer hunting is big here. I'll admit I hate it. seeing parking lots full of OOS plates drives me crazy. BUT they bring money to the area. Most do anyway.

I go to NE Arkansas a few times a year to both duck and goose hunt. When I go there(or anywhere OOS hunting) I buy groceries, and shells,things I need there and dont buy what I can at home. It drives the guys I go with crazy to have to make stops.

When I go to MO and TN turkey hunting it's the same way. I buy what I need there to help out the local economy. I KNOW others dont like seeing Illinois plates parked around so I try to help out where I can.

Gary Bartlow

Fullfan

I can remember when Mo was 45.00 for two birds, and then it went to 190.00 in about 5 years. But the cost never kept me from going and hunting.
Don't gobble at me...

RS

Can someone clarify something for a newbie to turkey hunting in KS.  Do you have to purchase the turkey permit and the turkey game tag at the same time or can you purchase the permit, and if lucky enough to kill a turkey then purchase the turkey game tag?

spaightlabs

hmmmm, so kill first and then buy a tag?

Sorry man, just like any other hunting or fishing - gotta have all the necessary licenses/tags/permits before you hunt.

hookedspur

Quote from: RS on March 23, 2016, 08:18:27 AM
Can someone clarify something for a newbie to turkey hunting in KS.  Do you have to purchase the turkey permit and the turkey game tag at the same time or can you purchase the permit, and if lucky enough to kill a turkey then purchase the turkey game tag?
I hope your joking ,,,
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Mike Honcho

Treerooster is correct.   The "first" license is called a Permit, good for one tom.  You can buy a 2nd one called a Game Tag for your 2nd tom.

They can be purchased separately (you buy the Permit first) , then the Game Tag 2nd.

Or you can buy them together called a Combo.

Honcho

turkeyfoot

yup you can kill one then go buy 2nd bird tag just remember can't hunt same day buy license

bluegill68

Quote from: turkeyfoot on March 23, 2016, 09:02:03 AM
yup you can kill one then go buy 2nd bird tag just remember can't hunt same day buy license

This has changed in recent years and your permit/game tag is valid immediately after purchase.

RS

stinkpickle

Why was the first tag called a "permit", and second one called a "game tag"? 

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dr Juice

mudhen

I always buy both tags in case a double presents itself...

Of course, the other toms might wait while you drive across Kansas in search of a license dealer or a computer with a printer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka