Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas Non-Resident turkey hunters: Get ready to PAY $185!!!

Started by busta biggun, March 21, 2016, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcrebel

Kansas has been around $130 for 2 tags and NR license since at least 2006.  I've bought them every year over that span.  Buy both tags and you get a little price break on the second one.
So the license nearly doubled. 

FYI NR hunters pump tons of cash into your state annually purchasing tags to hunt your game animals so unless you want your taxes to go even higher you might want to rethink that approach of hoping for higher fees and fewer NR hunters.  Not to mention the $ spent on fuel, food, lodging, gear, etc in your state that also is charged sales and other taxes.  All of those tax dollars contribute directly to your state from NR pockets.   
As someone said above at the end of the day we are all on the same side.  I would love for you to come and hunt in Mississippi and spend the same (or more) money here that I spend annually between Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri. 

mudhen

I pay to play..the best part is that paying gets me great access to great private grounds...well worth it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

wvmntnhick

Quote from: nativeks on March 21, 2016, 10:25:10 PM
I bought a lifetime years ago. You have to pay to play don't like it stay out we won't miss you.

Me thinks someone's underwear are a bit too tight.

bbcoach

I hunted Kansas several years ago and I believe the license fee was around $100 for 2 tags.  Loved the experience, wildlife and scenery were beautiful.  Had a great time and will probably return. 
Native, Sorry you feel the way you do.  Those people that come to your state, spend plenty of money, outside of the license fees, that help many Families that work in your state (food, gas, lodging, airlines, outfitters, land fees, jobs).  Just doubling the license fees won't keep most from making the journey but if it makes you feel better than that's OK I guess.   

Old Gobbler

200 is the ballpark non resident price for a out of state permit for SC , GA, AL, FL

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

fallhnt

nativeks isn't mad at anybody. When I read the thread line in bold print it looks like a non-res is throwing out a warning and all up in arms.  :z-twocents:
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

turkeyfoot

Get em by March 31st save 10 bucks I got mine in mail several days ago and have no problem with the increase been while since they had one. Bigger one was deer looks like around 515 bucks for deer

Greg Massey

we had a big increase this year in Tn. sportsman lic. was 133 now 166

worth612000

I may be wrong, but I believe Georgia is $195 for NR and that's a year long license that covers small game, turkey and deer. They also have a 3 day liceens for around $90. If you hunt a WMA add another $73

kcrebel

I checked and to hunt my state of Mississippi for turkeys it's $320. $300 is the annual license fee for a NR which is what we get in Kansas.  Mississippi does offer some 3,5 and 7 day NR licenses that are cheaper but none include the game tags.  Up until this year Kansas was $75 for the annual license and it appears to have nearly doubled to around $130 or so if the total fee is $185.  I'm pretty sure the turkey tags stayed the same price.
Interesting to see the totals of KS and MS in hunters very similar (493,665 and 418,042 respectively) but the dollars is much higher in KS ($19,519,927.00 and $5,519,969.00 respectively). 
Just goes to show how vitally important NR hunter's dollars are and how silly it is to wish them away.  Again we are all on the same side. 

Here is the total numbers of licensed hunters in each state for 2015 and prior. 
http://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/Subpages/LicenseInfo/HuntingLicCertHistory20042015.pdf

Gamblinman

Quote from: nativeks on March 21, 2016, 10:25:10 PM
I bought a lifetime years ago. You have to pay to play don't like it stay out we won't miss you.

LOL..Anyone ever tell you your attitude towards non-resident hunters sucks?

You hunt or fish out-of-state?

I'll be thinking of you when I pull the trigger on every Kansas bird I harvest.

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

stinkpickle

Kansas is right there with Missouri's NR fees now.  However, the season is a LOT longer, and you can hunt all day, so Kansas is a WAY better deal.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: nativeks on March 21, 2016, 09:55:48 PM
It's not about that. We pay thousands of dollars to Kansas every year in taxes. For someone to pay $10 more than a resident for a tag was a slap in our face showing us we don't matter. Kansas sportsman are tired of being crapped on and told we don't matter. We are also going after guide use on public land right now. If we have a premium product then charge a premium price.
Does your taxes fund the conservation or does it come from license fees? I agree on the premium but Kansas turkeys are not premium. The deer hunting on the other hand is

snapper1982

Quote from: nativeks on March 21, 2016, 09:55:48 PM
It's not about that. We pay thousands of dollars to Kansas every year in taxes. For someone to pay $10 more than a resident for a tag was a slap in our face showing us we don't matter. Kansas sportsman are tired of being crapped on and told we don't matter. We are also going after guide use on public land right now. If we have a premium product then charge a premium price.
kansas turkeys are the same as anywhere else so you do not have a premium. Now if you was talking deer then yes you do have a premium deer hunting state. You were never crapped on. We paid higher license fees and a higher tag fee. Maybe you should look at Ohio tag fees. Same for NR as a resident. But they pay a lot higher license fee. On top of that our deer and turkey tag is the same $24. So an NR can kill 2 turkeys and 1 deer(and incase you didnt know we produce as big of deer as kansas) for $200. I dont feel like i am getting crapped on but i sure do wish we had a reciprocal policy that made a NR pay the same as we would have to pay to hunt their state. 

spaightlabs

I think KS has some premium turkey hunting for sure, and their WIHA program is excellent.

There are lot of guys in KS that are salty about OOSers - they don't like folks coming in and killing 'their' animals - they get especially feisty about 'their' ducks and 'their' deer.

Part of the problem is that a lot of rural KS guys have always hunted for free with just a hello and a handshake or a little bit of traded labor or some other small barter item, and it irks the heck out of them when their hunting grounds disappear because an outfitter or out of stater comes in and pays cash for a lease.

I understand completely - I grew up in the country and never had to pay to to hunt, just knocked on doors and offered some help around the farm. When I got to CO I was astonished at how poor the public waterfowl hunting is and 95% of the private that is worth a pinch of dirt is leased up.  doesn't make me happy, but you learn to adapt and maybe have to make a cash outlay to lock up ground - unfortunately that is life.

In CO hunting is a massive industry due to big game.  A ton of outfitting takes place on public ground - BLM and USFS and the State Land Trust are the biggest landowners here, so if you shut out guides you'd lose a lot of hunters and the associated revenue stream.

We regulate our outfitters here.  They pay a licensing fee and are required to have insurance.  That way when they take paid sports onto public ground to kill 'our' animals, there is some associated revenue to the State from the guy making the profit on 'our' animals.

I am astonished that allI would need to outfit in KS and NE is to call myself an outfitter...no protection for the consumer, no regulations re outfitter behavior, and no revenue.

If I hunt KS WIHA ground I wait until the residents have had their crack at it - they seem to get in early and kill the easy birds anyway, and you are less likely to get your tires slashed with out of state plates later in the season.