OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WHEN YOU MISS

Started by wcgobbler, March 21, 2016, 09:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcgobbler

Just curious, but when/if you miss a gobbler on your home place where no one else hunts, do you go back after him:

a few days later?
the next day?
call from same spot?
call from different spot?

Fullfan

Give him a few hours and get back after em.
Don't gobble at me...

Gobble!

i normally cuss, cry, then go back after him.

tha bugman

I puke.... walk back to the truck and cuss him and myself for the rest of my life.

BrowningGuy88

I generally give him the day off if I missed in Friday and the week off of on Saturday.

I've killed about 75% of the misses the next morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KYFrid

Quote from: Gobble! on March 21, 2016, 09:55:25 AM
i normally cuss, cry, then go back after him.

Ha. Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper

tha bugman

use of explict language is allowed during times of remembrance...I don't care how Christian you are.  :z-dizzy: :TooFunny:
Quote from: tha bugman on March 21, 2016, 11:10:33 AM
I puke.... walk back to the truck and cuss him and myself for the rest of my life.

Greg Massey

I just want to dig a hole and cry...But one good thing is he's still out in those woods somewhere and i get to hunt him another day...Most of the time i give him a couple days off before going after him again.. A great turkey hunter told me ALWAYS have a plan B for turkey hunting or a backup plan...

silvestris

It is situational.  Did I touch him?  Did he see me?  Was he alone?  If he was not alone, did they scatter?

I missed a gobbler with a hen one afternoon.  He went north, she went south.  He did not see me.  I sat for 30 minutes and went to examine the spot where he was standing at the shot; no blood, no feathers.  I knew he wanted to get back with the hen so I determined to wait one hour from the shot to call.  He gobbled before the hour was up and I moved 100 yards in his direction and set up.  He completely circled me in a 45 minute timespan and made the decision to take a ride in my truck.

Had I found blood or feathers, I would have spent time looking for his corpse.  Had he been alone and untouched, I would have gone home or to another spot.  Since he was with a hen, untouched and separated from the hen at the shot, it was an easy decision.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

2eagles

Really? He's the only bird in your woods? I have missed and this is what I've done. Take a nap. Get back to hunting. Him or any other Tom I see / hear.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dr Juice

X2

wvmntnhick

I never miss.  :fud:

Actually, I just try and give the bird some time to regain his wits then I do the same. If the property is large enough, I'll check back on him before I leave. If not, he gets a pass for the remainder of the day.

Marc

I had a couple of such mishaps and they all go back a few years.  I remember all of them with a certain vile regret.

I have never killed a bird that I have missed, or even bumped (i.e. spooked).  Though I had a pair of toms come in once and killed one...  Killed his buddy about 3 days later...  Waited for the second bird to run off on his own after the first one was shot.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.