OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 870 Youth - 562-5 - HW 7

Started by Tom Foolery, March 20, 2016, 08:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

Checked my 870 today. 

21" barrel - SumToy 562-5 - dirty barrel
spitting snow
35-40 degrees
wind @ 10mph right to left

Range - 42yds

Not a good day to shoot honestly and I should have dry brushed the barrel - crappy cell phone pic

146 - circle is 10.25"
99 - circle is 17.5"

total 245

Thoughts?

turkey buster

Not the best I've seen but not bad by no means. Did see a gap in the pattern (low/right in the 10) but not enough for him to escape. I'd say warmer weather and a cleaner barrel and you'd be right on.

Each gun is different but mine shoots that load better when the barrel is cleaned with a bore snake between shots

SumToy

140 to 150 is what we look for in the 870.  I have seen a few go bigger numbers.  Now the cold temps will make shell not do as good plus it will also draw moisture in barrel in the cold between shoots. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Tom Foolery

I'm blaming the dirty barrel and the weather on the open part in the middle.  It's never done that before, I've never patterned on a dirty barrel, so that's what I'm going with.  I dry brushed the barrel and will try again in better weather. 

Tom Foolery

Shot again this evening after dry brushing and went 145 - 10.25" and 109 - 17.75" for a 256 total. The center was much more even and filled in.

I've had a high of 149 and a low of 137 with this combo. The last 3 shots have been 147, 145, 145.

nyhunter

Shot again this evening after dry brushing and went 145 - 10.25" and 109 - 17.75" for a 256 total. The center was much more even and filled in.

I've had a high of 149 and a low of 137 with this combo. The last 3 shots have been 147, 145, 145.

those are about perfect numbers right there

owlhoot

Tom Foolery

New one after dry brush and dry patch:

g8rvet

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

savduck

That's as perfect a hunting pattern as you want. I run that set up and it will kill gobblers a good distance and allow for some user error.
Georgia Boy

TrackeySauresRex

Good to go!  :OGturkeyhead: it's going to be fun with the 20 this season.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Tom Foolery

Thanks guys

I figure it will knock ones noodler numb as far as a man should be shooting at one.

I just think it's crazy that a 20 will deliver that kind of pattern, I've killed birds with 12's that didn't pattern near that good.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 04, 2016, 06:26:16 PM
I just think it's crazy that a 20 will deliver that kind of pattern, I've killed birds with 12's that didn't pattern near that good.

And this is why I will semi  ;D retire the Ol 835
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Tom Foolery

I don't own an 835 any longer but I have a soft spot for them.  Other than the fact they are flat out shoulder smashers I think they are the finest patterning guns across an entire range of ammo made. 

I wonder if anyone has tried to run an overbored 20 gauge to see how they pattern?

nyhunter

A buddy of mine has a Win. sxp 20 and they are back bore, we havent had any good weather to pattern it yet tho, I cant wait to see how it doe's tho