OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

All calls sounding the same?

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 20, 2016, 08:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Do you want all of your calls sounding the same on the same hunt?

What I mean by that is, if you are working a bird with your box call, and he comes into view, do you want the mouth call you will then use to sound just like the box call, or does it matter at that point?

boatpaddle

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 20, 2016, 08:11:28 PM
Do you want all of your calls sounding the same on the same hunt?

No, Sir, I do not...

What I mean by that is, if you are working a bird with your box call, and he comes into view, do you want the mouth call you will then use to sound just like the box call, or does it matter at that point?

If he's in view, he may hear one very soft single cluck from me......

No, I don't think, it's matters.....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

The Woodsman

WillowRidgeCalls

I would have to disagree, but just my opinion. If you strike a bird up with a call that is, lets say a real raspy call, and you switch a smooth sounding call, that bird is going to know something is fishy? Ease of play and volume is why we switch, but the tone of the call should stay somewhat close to what the bird liked in the first place? Again just my opinion.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

wvmntnhick

I rarely finish a bird with the same call I start him with. In fact, I've not been present for many birds that have been killed with the call that started it all. True, sometimes a bird will only answer a certain sound for some reason and I believe that it's related to frequency. A buddy of mine has carried a mad Aluminator for some time. When all else failed, he'd reach for that and often times it'd get a bird fired up. When the bird seemed committed, he'd switch to a mouth call of some sort and bring the bird to an unsuspecting gun barrel. Several times, it was my own barrel. For some reason, I tend to look at a box call as a last ditch effort. To this day I've got no idea why. It seems I get more response from a box than anything and yet I reach for it last. Because of the motion required to run the call, I'll switch to a diaphragm to finish the job. The birds haven't seemed to mind one bit. Well, none have complained after being shot anyway.

Happy

Here is my experience. Sometime it takes a certain tone or pitch to get a Tom to respond. Once he is responding a good caller can work that Tom up to where he will answer  just about any call. Sometimes he will still only respond to only that one particular call but typically I strike and start working a bird with a certain call and by the time he is flopping he has heard at least one or two other calls on the way in. None of which sound exactly like the other. That's why I like to carry a variety of calls.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tha bugman

I don't.  I would rather have two sounds to make him think that there are two hens instead of one.  More of a party.

Double B

Kind of depends on the situation, but good thread.....each situation is unique.  Last year I worked a bird for 2+hrs, same call and several repositioning maneuvers.  I never changed the glass call and I think he bought in that there was a hard to get hen that he just had to meet.  He was triple gobbling right before I shot him, to leaf litter scratching.  If I strike a gobbler, I generally stay with the call he liked, but I will may use many pots and strikers on some hunts trying to get the response.  Agree w the earlier post about raw aluminum pot calls, good locators.  Ease of use and no movement is a factor in close, so at times you may have to switch to mouth calls.  Some birds gobble at everything others get finicky.  Just my  :z-twocents:
Followed by buzzards

Marc

Quote from: boatpaddle on March 20, 2016, 08:36:13 PMIf he's in view, he may hear one very soft single cluck from me......

No, I don't think, it's matters.....[/b]
i agree with this statement...  If they are in view, I do not like to call at all.  If I can see the bird, there is no doubt but that they can see me.

If a bird is close enough for me to see, and changes direction, I might throw out a cluck or soft yelp when the bird gets behind a bush/tree or crosses a small gully.

Sometimes I can see that a bird is looking for that hen and gets nervous cause he does not see her.  Sometimes a cluck or what I call a greeting "putt" when a bird gets behind a tree or bush will keep him coming my direction.

If I can use the same call I raised him up on, I will stick on it...  As that is often a box call, frequently that is not an option.  If they are making any forward movement towards me, at 100 yards, I do not call...  Sometimes that last 100 yards is painfully slow.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.