turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which striker

Started by NYlogbeards, March 20, 2016, 02:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYlogbeards

Been looking for a good sounding striker to use with glass and slate, see so types of wood combinations, should i get a 1 or 2 piece and the purple heart, hickory or walnut or something entirely different.

Thanks for your help...

REBELYELL

Quote from: NYlogbeards on March 20, 2016, 02:33:04 PM
Been looking for a good sounding striker to use with glass and slate, see so types of wood combinations, should i get a 1 or 2 piece and the purple heart, hickory or walnut or something entirely different.

Thanks for your help...

One or two pc dymondwood. Either of them sound good on most Crystal or glass calls. Same thing for  hickory and purpleheart, but it's more hit or miss on the same calls. Walnut is usually too light or soft for glass calls, but I am sure some guys may like it.

West Augusta

Dymondwood if you can get it and Black Locust run well on just about any good pot call.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

wvmntnhick

I've recently started using a dymondwood and just fell in heavy with a black locust as well. The black locust is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. It runs well on all three of my Yingling pots and my McKinnis long slate. It came from Mike when I bought my aluminum pot from him. I'd recommend yo give him a shout sometime while on here. He's making some great stuff and I'm sure would be willing to share his thoughts on strikers as well.

I'll also add that with my Halloran Crystal Mistress came with a yellowheart one piece striker. That thing sings on every Crystal surface I've put it on so far. Lovely striker that will keep a place saved in my vest. If I could only carry 3 strikers, it'd be the dymondwood, black locust and yellowheart. No particular order as they all sound great on crystal, slate, copper and aluminum.

mmclain

Black locust is one of my favorites!! Over all it is the striker I turn the most.... For an inexpensive wood you can't beat it..... some exotics may be a little better but not much.  I sold every one I turned this year.

Spitten and drummen

On glass or crystal I like snakewood , yellowheart and wenge. I have a ton of strikers and these are always consistent on all my glass/crystal pots. At least for my style of playing.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

mote1977

Quote from: MDTOM84 on March 21, 2016, 05:19:30 AM
I love my Halloran one piece Ipe on any of my glass or crystal
One of my favorite strikers.

tha bugman

+1 I am a dymond wood guy when it comes to glass
Quote from: REBELYELL on March 20, 2016, 03:26:58 PM
Quote from: NYlogbeards on March 20, 2016, 02:33:04 PM

Thanks for your help...

One or two pc dymondwood. Either of them sound good on most Crystal or glass calls. Same thing for  hickory and purpleheart, but it's more hit or miss on the same calls. Walnut is usually too light or soft for glass calls, but I am sure some guys may like it.

BowBendr

One striker that I do get to run great on slate and glass both is zebrawood. I like  Ryan Bonjours and Harold Fowlers 1 pc the best.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

wvmntnhick

Just got my Sinclair spectraply striker today. So far, I find it to be quite impressive. Just trying to figure out which striker it's going to replace in my vest at this point because it's definitely going to.

Double B

For starters I like to carry purpleheart, hickory and rosewood two piece and they  play on both surfaces.  I like a d-wood or laminate and an all weather too.  Keep adding a few here and there and see what you like. Tulipwood and bubinga are new favorites of mine, but running out of vest space fast.   
Followed by buzzards

spiggy2

Big fan of yellowheart, dymondwood, and tulipwood. Just got a yellowheart striker from pappy and that thing can run on any of my calls. Also got a dymondwood with an ivory tip from pappy as well, my favorite striker as of now
"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

mgm1955

Bill Lyman's snakewood is my number one striker. Works fantastic on all surfaces.

pappy

out of all the woods that I have had orders for turning out strikers, I believe it is a tie between Black Locust and Yellowheart with purple heart coming in third...gotta say black locust is a killer on just about anything, but like all strikers you have to keep 'em dry and oil free and work that tip like a fountain pen instead of a chisel...LOL
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206