turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Official owner of a turkey purse...

Started by Full strut, March 20, 2016, 12:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonehowl

I hunt out of a small Badlands backpack/daypack. I hunt some rugged public ground and it just suits me. I hate vests, although they seem very convenient for flat ground hunting, but Ill never wear one.

Mark

cornfedkiller

I've been using a Beard Buster Gear Hog for a couple years now and I really like it.  I like that it clips onto my blind bag, but it also has a shoulder strap that you can use to carry it. 

I've actually been thinking about getting one for deer hunting (hate switching all my stuff back and fourth depending on the season) to replace my waist pack I usually take to the stand.

sixbird

Hey, some guys wear panty hose for chiggers...Why not a purse too?   :drool:

Full strut

I will take the hit to the pride, when I have granola bars and water to keep me hunting all day ????

Old Gobbler

We used old women's purses for black powder for decades , thier perfect

I use a duck hunting blind bag for my push pins

Duck hunting blind bag is code for :purse
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

mudhen

Pockets on the Tom Sack don't work for me...I use a vest or backpack...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

turkey buster

I like my vest but there are days I want to crawl out of it and all its gear! I don't know if I could live down the ribbing from my buddies over a purse, but I have thought of a fanny pack  :TooFunny:

Happy

Uh.... in my book a fanny pack isn't any more manly. But if it works for you then that's the main thing.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

turkey buster

Quote from: Happy on March 20, 2016, 09:14:59 PM
Uh.... in my book a fanny pack isn't any more manly. But if it works for you then that's the main thing.

Lol I was afraid of that

Full strut

I tried a fanny pack once, felt like I was missing something... The socks and sandals!  :TooFunny:

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Lonehowl on March 20, 2016, 04:01:08 PM
I hunt out of a small Badlands backpack/daypack. I hunt some rugged public ground and it just suits me. I hate vests, although they seem very convenient for flat ground hunting, but Ill never wear one.

Mark

X2

MK M GOBL

tha bugman

I have a Primos Gobbler seat?  It has the bag and the cushion on it.  I like it as well because I can put extra clothes or stuff in it and it carries like a backpack.

troutfisher13111

I love my  Brossie bag. When I want to cover some ground, that's what I take. Really it carries more than one probably needs.

Full strut

Terry I agree! I got mine with the hopes to restrict the amount of calls I bring. I find that the less I bring, sometimes the better the outcome of the hunt. Call wise that is  :icon_thumright:

shaman

Quote from: Full strut on March 22, 2016, 12:31:32 AM
Terry I agree! I got mine with the hopes to restrict the amount of calls I bring. I find that the less I bring, sometimes the better the outcome of the hunt. Call wise that is  :icon_thumright:

That is one of the big benefits I found switching away from a vest.  When I had a vest with big pockets I tended to throw everything but the kitchen sink at them. 

The initial impetus to switch off a vest came in 2002.  I had 200 acres to hunt for the first time, and it was all knife-edged ridges.  I found myself going up and down all day.  I needed to lighten the load.

What I came up with was this:

It's called a Messenger Bag.  You can still find them on Amazon for under $20.

It definitely lightened the load.  15 seasons later, I still can't find anything better.

It changed my style. I had previously moved from call to call trying  to get a positive response.  This focused my attention.  I was now carrying fewer calls.  Therefore, I was trying harder to make each call count.  It also got me aware that it was better to rotate my calls throughout the season.  By changing up my selection, I continued to sound fresh.   Instead of three box calls every day, I was using one box  and then switching it out for another the next day if I did not get a positive response.

The result? That year, I bagged a record book gobbler on my 5th day of hunting. 

Turkey Camp, 2002

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer