OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Walmart

Started by JK Spurs, March 19, 2016, 11:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JK Spurs

Never been a fan of Walmart but I had to stop the other day for something and decided to check out the hunting section and they had some great deals. Got another box of Winchester Longbeard 3" for $17 and a Flextone mouth call that I use was $4. That box of shells usually runs $22 and the call about $8 at a local gun shop where I buy all my gear.
I like my turkey well peppered

Gooserbat

I'd buy from the local guy for so many reasons I can't find the time to type it all, unless he's a jerk. Then I'd buy from a different local guy.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

JK Spurs

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 19, 2016, 11:29:54 PM
I'd buy from the local guy for so many reasons I can't find the time to type it all, unless he's a jerk. Then I'd buy from a different local guy.
I'm on the same page as you Gooserbat... Just couldn't walk pass it since I was already there. I'd rather support my local guy all day long.

ilbucksndux

I hate Walmart you can count on both hands the times I go there in a year. My local guy is a .....well I cant say here what I think of him so I only go there when I need something for RIGHT NOW and cant wait. Gander Mountain just moved in locally but I'm not impressed with their selection.....of anything.
Gary Bartlow

wvmntnhick

Not a Walmart fan either but sometimes, it happens. I know they're cheaper on stuff than my local guy but I've even had him order my turkey calls at times knowing it's going to cost me more. He chuckles and tells me it's cheaper to get them elsewhere but I hand him the money and he orders the calls. All of my ammo comes from him and generally, he'll drop the price to the point that it's close to where the other stores are at or he'll just price match it all together. My hunting clothes come from the bigger stores such as Cabela's, Dicks, or Gander because he doesn't stock any type of clothing. Any of my fishing gear has to come from a larger store because there's not a small mom-n-pop store around here that sells it. Walmart had powerbait on sale the other day. It was a 4 jar sleeve that contained one rainbow, chartreuse, orange and yellow. They were on sale for $5/sleeve. That was a steal considering that one jar is $4. Needless to say, and I felt bad about it later, I bought enough powerbait that no one in my family will ever need to again. My kids, father, niece and nephews will seriously never need to buy again. 

Mtd69

I always try to buy locally also

captpete

Not a fan of Walmart either, but it is my local guy. The closest place me to is about 25 miles away and that is a Scheel's store.

Yoder409

I guess my biggest beef with Walmart is that I didn't think of it first.  Yes...........they do hose the local, little guy.  But bear in mind that at one time Walmart STARTED as the local, little guy.

Anyhoo............don't think that's the point of this post.......

Walmart IS my "local shop" and I gotta drive 25 miles to get to them.  Closest decent shop is 40-50 miles.  I do travel that far and that's where most of my turkey ammo comes from.  But I only get there once or twice a year.  I would still RATHER buy from a little guy.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

2eagles

I've done business with Walmart as a vendor for about 40 years.  If you think WM is a pain and don't like shopping there and support the local guy, Remember this. Thier employees are mostly local, working to provide for themselves and their families, so maybe shopping there isn't so bad.

tha bugman

Our wal mart selection has dwindled to the ridiculous zombie whacky momma slam down fad...I remember when things were much different and selection much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 20, 2016, 09:47:28 AM
I guess my biggest beef with Walmart is that I didn't think of it first.  Yes...........they do hose the local, little guy.  But bear in mind that at one time Walmart STARTED as the local, little guy.

Anyhoo............don't think that's the point of this post.......

Walmart IS my "local shop" and I gotta drive 25 miles to get to them.  Closest decent shop is 40-50 miles.  I do travel that far and that's where most of my turkey ammo comes from.  But I only get there once or twice a year.  I would still RATHER buy from a little guy.

Yes, they were the little guy once. It didn't bother me near as much when Sam Walton still had a hand in things. Or, at least his integrity was stil kinda running things. After a while it became a money hungry corporation. Things made a huge transition after that. Haven't been a fan since. It's almost a necessary evil to some degree as they kind of keep prices competitive across the board but it has hurt the local shops. As mentioned above, the quality and selection has gotten smaller as years have gone by.

possum58

I like Walmart, prices are hard to beat. Plus I have several friends and a family member who work at Walmarts. One worked his way up from part time to Assistant Manager. Shopping at my local Walmarts (we have 2) helps support my friends and family and local workers. Hey its a job and jobs are tuff to get around here.

The local shops are too high not very friendly in my opinion. I just cant seem to make myself pay more for the same item.
While I may not be supporting the local shop owner I'm still supporting local people and friends and family.

Yoder409

Quote from: JK Spurs on March 19, 2016, 11:24:06 PM.... and a Flextone mouth call that I use was $4.

Best of luck with the Flextone..................

2014 I did the same thing.  Bought a Flextone 3-pack................ I think on clearance from Midway.  There was one in particular that just freakin ROCKED !!  It was in my mouth all season.  So last year I found a lot of 3 of them on eBay and scooped them up so I'd be set for sometime to come.  Long story short............ I took each one out of the package, put it in, ran it for about10-15 seconds and threw it out.  All 3 of them.  Quality and consistency is, evidently, hit or miss...........mostly miss, apparently, at Flextone.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

JK Spurs

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 20, 2016, 11:18:53 AM
Quote from: JK Spurs on March 19, 2016, 11:24:06 PM.... and a Flextone mouth call that I use was $4.

2014 I did the same thing.  Bought a Flextone 3-pack................ I think on clearance from Midway.  There was one in particular that just freakin ROCKED !!  It was in my mouth all season.  So last year I found a lot of 3 of them on eBay and scooped them up so I'd be set for sometime to come.  Long story short............ I took each one out of the package, put it in, ran it for about10-15 seconds and threw it out.  All 3 of them.  Quality and consistency is, evidently, hit or miss...........mostly miss, apparently, at Flextone.
Interesting...so far no issues here. I've bought a ton of different mouth calls over the off season and I keep going back to the Flextone that I started using 3 years ago.

snapper1982

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 20, 2016, 11:18:53 AM

Welcome to the crappy products of the busbices!