OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jebs Comparison/opinion needed

Started by yella yelper, March 19, 2016, 02:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yella yelper

Ok I first ordered a Jebs 665 for my Benelli SBE1 with a 24" barrel. I'm shooting Longbeard 4's and Mag blend 4,5,7 both in 3.5".  First two are my patterns with the 665. I wasn't particularly pleased with the 4's performance especially since I got 154 with a Kicks 665 that I borrowed.

I called Bobby and he suggested that I try a 655 so he sent me one. The last two pictures are the 655 with the same loads.

If it matters, it was 55 degrees when I shot the 655 and 85 when I shot the 665.

I did shift the circle over on the second pattern of 4's and didn't gain any patterns.

I know they're all dead turkeys, but which choke would you keep?

Hooksnhorns

IMO, both chokes need to be shot at same temps, humidity , and barometric pressure to get a true comparison. And also with clean barrel for both chokes.
Don't Tread On Me

kcrebel

I thought I have read 665 chokes were for #5 and smaller? 
That might be part of the problem if the tube is overcooking the load. 
I would try 5's and 6's.  All but one of my turkey guns patterned best by far with 6 shot at 50 yards. 

SCDieselDawg

The .665 looks to be the most evenly spread.  To me is rather have even coverage with average #s than a hot core with little to no fringe. 

Roost 1

My opinion is, you need to decide if you want to shoot longbeards or Magblends... I use the JEBS .655 in my SBE with longbeards 4s and love it, however if I were gonna shoot Magblends I'd want a more open choke.

Longshanks

I shot Jebs .655 out of a Beretta A300 today with Hevi 13 3/2/6 and 3/2/7's. Both patterns are good hunting patterns to 40yds but wouldn't justify the cost of the shells. Contacted Jebs and they suggested shooting the Winchester LB 6's. Those .665/ Mag Blend patterns look good.

wmn2

Based off the pictures, I say the .665

Dr Juice

Keep the 665 and use the mag blends. The pattern is even throughout. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Quote from: mlisandro on March 20, 2016, 05:37:01 PM

Agreed .  With that draw a 15" circle around the 10" and you might see a difference in the .655 to .665
Now not a direct comparison but notice the magblends poi , both chokes real close.
Now LB's what do ya have a 6-7" poi change.
You might check a few more just to be sure.

Gobble!

The mag blend patterns are awful low. You should be over 200 with those all day. May want to try a different choke or polish your barrel if your looking for more numbers or just stop now if your only interested in killing birds.

yella yelper

Thanks guys. I think I'm sending them both back and getting a refund. Nothing against the choke, I think it's just the gun. I've never had much luck getting a stock Benelli to do much. I think I'm going to switch back to my 870. Can get better numbers out of a 3" gun vs this one. I'll go broke buying chokes and shells trying to figure out the right combination when I've got a good shooter just sitting in the safe. I've got 3 barrels and two chokes to try with the 870 so something is bound to work with that.  21" 26" and 28" with a Ventilator 655 and Jellyhead 660. Thanks all for chiming in

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: kcrebel on March 19, 2016, 03:29:31 PM
I thought I have read 665 chokes were for #5 and smaller? 
That might be part of the problem if the tube is overcooking the load. 
I would try 5's and 6's.  All but one of my turkey guns patterned best by far with 6 shot at 50 yards.
For the more open the choke(such as this .665) the larger shot size is recommended .

lowoctane

Quote from: mlisandro on March 20, 2016, 05:37:01 PM
:morning: Yup... :camohat:

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Roost 1

I'd stick with the .655 and longbeard 4s, not only are they cheaper but those 4s are lethal.....If you were to take my advice you will not be dis-appointed.
Good luck with your decision.