OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need opinions on a turkey load, 20 ga

Started by HogBiologist, March 19, 2016, 01:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

I have a spot to take my 9 year old on a youth hunt this year. She is a small frame 60 pound girl. She has shot my single shot 20 before. I was going to let her shoot a few light skeet loads to get used to shooting at a turkey target. But I want a good 2.75 inch load for a 30 yard and under shot. She shot a .22 good and has shot my 20 gauge. The shotgun is an old Sears and Roebuck single barrel shotgun. So I would prefer lead. But has to be 2.75 inches. I will pattern it, so I know its' potential. What are some good shells with low recoil and a lot of pellets? 
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Greg Massey

I would use some 1 oz. 6 shot. and just know what the limit of the gun is shooting..The federal heavyweight in a 2 3/4 shell is a great load..but you may not want to have her shooting a 4 dollars shell..I don't see a 9 year old going on her first turkey hunt being able to shot pass 25 yards ..

Tom Foolery

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 19, 2016, 02:43:22 PM
2.75" Federal Heavyweight #7's

I'll second this but if you're set on using lead, federal makes a pheasant load in #6 shot. It's about as good as you'll get in lead with the energy to kill a bird at that range. Having said that, any 2-3/4" shell will kill a bird at that distance if it patterns well. I've got a box of estate game loads that would do just fine at that distance.

Marc

If you are going with lead, Fiocchi makes a load called Golden Pheasant.

It is a nickle-plated load and holds as good of a pattern as any lead shell I have shot.  I shoot them for chuckar and pheasant, but have patterned them for turkey.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/345785/fiocchi-golden-pheasant-ammunition-20-gauge-2-3-4-1-oz-6-nickel-plated-shot-box-of-25

As a side note, that single-shot 20 gauge with a 1 oz load will have more recoil than many 12 gauge pheasant loads...  Those little light guns can have some punishing recoil.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Hooter

From 30yds in, just a plain ole 7.5 dove shell will flatten them like a Magnum.
At 1200fps, they do fine.  Just keep it close. :icon_thumright:

Bowguy

I too like the fed heavy weight 7s. Don't overchoke n give her a forgive able pattern

opster246

heavyweight 7's!  Good out to 40 yds with a cheap Primos Tight wad choke in a youth mod 20ga Rem 870.  As always, pattern your gun and know its limits.  $4 a shell is worth it all day long when she gets her first turkey!! Good luck and thanks for taking time to take her hunting, best of luck!

born2hunt

Quote from: Hooter on March 19, 2016, 10:04:26 PM
From 30yds in, just a plain ole 7.5 dove shell will flatten them like a Magnum.
At 1200fps, they do fine.  Just keep it close. :icon_thumright:
Yep, I'm taking my 7 year old daughter on her first hunt next weekend and a 1oz 7.5 high brass is what will be in the pipe.
Pretty low recoil with a nice forgiving pattern out to 25 yards which is as far as I would let her shoot anyways.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Greg Massey

Some people need to read the guys post about what kind of gun he is using for his daughter ,,it's a old Sears Roebuck single barrel..READ THE POST opster246...

owlhoot

You prefer lead so Federal Premium 1 oz. 7 1/2 at 1350 fps.
Copper plated upland load , Pheasants Forever. Wing-shok
used to be federal premium field load before the fancy names for sales.
Or Remington express extra long range 1 oz. 7 1/2 at 1220-1300 fps. (Older load was hotter)

Gooserbat

Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 19, 2016, 02:43:22 PM
2.75" Federal Heavyweight #7's

This, followed by

Quote from: Marc on March 19, 2016, 05:14:24 PM

It is a nickle-plated load and holds as good of a pattern as any lead shell I have shot.  I shoot them for chuckar and pheasant, but have patterned them for turkey.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/345785/fiocchi-golden-pheasant-ammunition-20-gauge-2-3-4-1-oz-6-nickel-plated-shot-box-of-25

As a side note, that single-shot 20 gauge with a 1 oz load will have more recoil than many 12 gauge pheasant loads...  Those little light guns can have some punishing recoil.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tail Feathers

I use these Fiocchi loads for sighting in because they hit the same POI as the Federal HW 7's I hunt with.  I would absolutely use the Fiocchi's if I limited shots to 30 yards or less.

It is a nickle-plated load and holds as good of a pattern as any lead shell I have shot.

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

owlhoot

Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 20, 2016, 12:05:42 PM
I use these Fiocchi loads for sighting in because they hit the same POI as the Federal HW 7's I hunt with.  I would absolutely use the Fiocchi's if I limited shots to 30 yards or less.

It is a nickle-plated load and holds as good of a pattern as any lead shell I have shot.

hey forgot about them , and the do make them in 7 1/2's too. You asked for lots of pellets. 1 oz seems like what your going to get.
Is a slip on Simms pad a possibility? it will help.