turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rainy opener/Funky Chicken/Bird down - N Fl

Started by g8rvet, March 19, 2016, 12:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

I admit it, I had to try it. It was $29 and I had to try the Funky at least once.

Woke up at 5 and based on the rain, decided against the public land swamp bird we had located and decided to head to my money field on rainy days. Got there a good hour before early light and sat in the truck and watched the radar and the few pops of lightning move further away just in time to head out before day broke.

Sat up in my usual spot with a DSD leading hen and put the Funk out with her. About 2 hours after light and no activity I got a little aggressive on the glass for a couple of series.  Got a hen all fired up and she made a half circle behind me clucking and calling.  About 20 minutes later I hear a gobble.  He has come out on the field to my far left (only the second time I have seen a bird do that).  He then proceeded to gobble and strut and look at my set up.  He made a full half circle around it, staring hard, but not willing to come in.  I could tell he was not a paintbrush, but probably a 2 year old.  He hung up on the edge of the field for 20 minutes or more, gobbling and strutting and about 75 yards away and was NOT coming closer. By this point, I started calling a little more as I could tell I was gonna lose this game.  We are going on an hour with him watching the setup.  He then just heads off the field, gobbling to crows, to my calls, but heading away. The rain has now stopped.

I wait until I hear him gobble and he is a ways off the field now, so I slip out, grab Mr Funky pants and stuff him in a bag.  I sit back down and wait. I decided he was a subordinate bird and was scared of the jake decoy.  Could be wrong, but he acted that way.  About an hour later, here he comes back. I mouth call to him, he goes in to strut and cautiously works his way to the hen. He wanted to come to it, but he sure took his time looking around.  Makes me think he has already had a butt whooping or two. Sure hope Mr Big is still out there.  He was not quite cautious enough and I took my second turkey with a 20 gauge.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

northwoodshntr

Great job! Nice Bird! Thanks for sharing, My opening day is still a month away but I'm all fired up now.
  Congrats.

sixbird

Congrats man! Don't give up on "the chicken." That gobbler could have been beat up by jakes before, like you surmised. He'll work on "unbeaten" birds and he'll work in general...

alloutdoors

wvmntnhick

Congrats on the bird. Waddell will be upset that the "funky chicken" didn't work for you.

eddie234

ncturkey

Congrats. His Spurs look long. Do you think he was a two year old?

cramerhunts

Congratulations on getting that wary bird! Enjoyed the recap.

g8rvet

His spurs do look long in that pic.  They had a hook curve to them, but were only 7/8".  9.5" beard. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

tomstopper

Rapscallion Vermilion

Spyder

Way to stick with it and not give up on the bird. Awesome decision, to remove the jake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

bmhern