News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are 3.5" worth the pain? ????

Started by Browning4140, March 16, 2016, 11:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

Quote from: born2hunt on March 17, 2016, 02:35:58 PM
The reason being, the longbeard XRs have less total pellets in them than the HEVIs when using same sized shot.

Maybe I'm just missing something but I don't see how. If HEVI is heavier than lead than the way I see it is an ounce of hevi 6s would contain less pellets than an ounce of lead 6s. Now if it were measured by volume than sure but by weight...well someone's gonna have to shine some light on it for me. What I do know is you can go to a smaller shot with Hevi , giving you more pellets and still have the energy needed.

I think he was comparing payloads.  2oz vs 1 3/4oz.

born2hunt

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 17, 2016, 02:38:42 PM
Quote from: born2hunt on March 17, 2016, 02:35:58 PM
The reason being, the longbeard XRs have less total pellets in them than the HEVIs when using same sized shot.

Maybe I'm just missing something but I don't see how. If HEVI is heavier than lead than the way I see it is an ounce of hevi 6s would contain less pellets than an ounce of lead 6s. Now if it were measured by volume than sure but by weight...well someone's gonna have to shine some light on it for me. What I do know is you can go to a smaller shot with Hevi , giving you more pellets and still have the energy needed.

I think he was comparing payloads.  2oz vs 1 3/4oz.
Gotcha  :icon_thumright:
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Marc

Quote from: MShillhunter on March 17, 2016, 12:22:05 AM
I hardly feel the kick of 3.5 while shooting a bird. Shooting at a target is a different story.
Oh you feel it, you are just not consciously aware of it...  The excitement takes over and you do not feel it (similar as when someone punches you in a fight).

Shooting those loads, your body will learn to react to it (in the form of a flinch)...  I have seen a handful of shooters that can shoot these stout loads without developing flinching issues, but the vast majority of shooters (in my opinion) will develop some degree of flinching by shooting such loads on a frequent basis.

As primarily a wing and clay shooter, flinching is something I want to avoid at all cost.  A 3" load comes with a 2 oz payload in lead or Hevi-shot type material...  Personally, I do not care for such a heavy payload, and cannot imagine wanting to increase it from there...  Especially for shooting a target that is generally around 30 yards or less for me.

Bottom line is that I do NOT feel that it is worth shooting 3.5" loads, and would shoot 2 ¾" loads over 3 ½" loads...  For now I will stick with my 3" 1 5/8 oz loads in Hevi-shot...  I can consistently kill birds over 40 yards with these loads, and without a scope or sight, I really would not want to shoot much further anyhow...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

nativeks

I like my 20 ga. Of course I don't like to shoot them outside of 30 yards. If he is that far out I didn't when regardless of whether I have my 12 ga, 20 ga, or bow.

trkehunr93

I personally like my 12 gauge and like others never, ever feel the recoil when a bird is down range.  I made up for the felt recoil sighting my gun in by purchasing a lead sled, which I use to sight in all my guns, put a simms limbsaver on it and since I have a scope a beartooth comb raising kit for that noticeable cheek slap, which now I don't notice.  I say to each his own, don't know if the 3.5" gun will ever die.  They perform to well.

Farmboy27

Only you can decide if the extra recoil is worth it.  No one else can decide that for you.  I killed a lot of birds with cheap 25 round box 2 3/4 and 3 inch before the whole turkey specific load craze started.  Now I shoot 3 1/2 loads.  Why?  Because I get a few more bb's and I don't mind the recoil.  I don't need them but use them because for me the trade off is worth it.  For some others it might not be.  Its like deer hunting.  I use a 300 win mag but at the ranges I shoot a 243 would work just fine. Its all in what you like and feel confident in. If it gives you confidence and piece of mind, then its worth it!

goblr77

The extra recoil is well worth the difference in the patterns IMO.

Gobble!

Tom Foolery

My 3.5" 835 turned into a youth 870 20 gauge running Federal HW 7's. I'll be danged if I'll let "high prices" keep me from shooting good ammo. If I can afford a $400 shotgun and gas to put in a hunting vehicle I can pay $20 for good ammo. I ain't shooting skeet with it.

ilbucksndux

Quote from: Marc on March 17, 2016, 04:14:12 PM
I hardly feel the kick of 3.5 while shooting a bird. Shooting at a target is a different story.

Shooting those loads, your body will learn to react to it (in the form of a flinch)...  I have seen a handful of shooters that can shoot these stout loads without developing flinching issues, but the vast majority of shooters (in my opinion) will develop some degree of flinching by shooting such loads on a frequent basis.

You hit the nail on the head. you may not think your flinching but I'll put money on the fact that you are,even if just a little. I learned this YEARS ago from shooting 3" deer slugs. Have someone else load your gun when you are patterning and you will see how much you flinch,trust me.Your brain knows those big hot loads kick and you jerk.

To me the assurance that I'm rock solid when I pull the trigger gives me more confidence that a little extra horsepower
Gary Bartlow

fallhnt

I shot my 12 with 3in. turkey load and then my .410 before the fall season. You bet I flinched while shooting the .410....had to laugh about that.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

omegafoo

Quote from: wmn2 on March 17, 2016, 10:51:55 AMThe extra pellets and down range energy I like.

Actually, given the same shot size, material and speed, all pellets will have the same energy down range regardless of shell length. A 3" lead #6 with a 1500fps muzzle velocity will have the same energy at 40 yards as a 3.5" lead #6 with a 1500 fps muzzle velocity. Only way you get extra energy is if your shells are a higher velocity, which most I shoot aren't.

I shoot 3.5 because my guns pattern them well and it adds to he pattern. If my gun didn't shoot them well, I'd be shooting a 3". I look at the extra shot in the same manner I do HTL shells. They add something positive to my pattern - I'll continue to shoot them.

Signed, stepping down to a 20ga with Fed HW #7s when my 3.5" shells are gone ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

West Augusta

I haven't lost a bird since I switched to Hevi 13 Mag Blend 3.5" and wouldn't consider going back.
They don't kick when shooting a bird.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Farmboy27

Quote from: ilbucksndux on March 17, 2016, 06:39:24 PM
Quote from: Marc on March 17, 2016, 04:14:12 PM

You hit the nail on the head. you may not think your flinching but I'll put money on the fact that you are,even if just a little. I learned this YEARS ago from shooting 3" deer slugs. Have someone else load your gun when you are patterning and you will see how much you flinch,trust me.Your brain knows those big hot loads kick and you jerk.

To me the assurance that I'm rock solid when I pull the trigger gives me more confidence that a little extra horsepower
I have to argue with that thinking.  If you're fully concentrated on killing a bird then your mind isn't thinking of the recoil you're about to receive.  And to say that only a few people can keep from flinching when shooting high recoil loads is nonsense.  I agree that recoil sensitive folks(and those that realize that you don't need 3 1/2" to kill turkeys) are probably better of with 3" or less shells.  Lord knows they work just as well.  But to say that most people can't handle a 3 1/2" without flinching is just bull.  I know that I personally have a slight flinch on the bench whether I'm shooting a 3 1/2" turkey load or a 243 varmint load.  That doesn't mean I can't be solid when in the field and my mind is on the task at hand.  Use whatever load you want, I have said many times that I was as successful with 2 3/4" and 3" loads as I am with 3 1/2".  But don't try to say that only a few can do it without flinching.  There's a pretty fair number of us out there that can use them just fine!

wmn2

Quote from: omegafoo on March 17, 2016, 07:02:31 PM
Quote from: wmn2 on March 17, 2016, 10:51:55 AMThe extra pellets and down range energy I like.

Actually, given the same shot size, material and speed, all pellets will have the same energy down range regardless of shell length. A 3" lead #6 with a 1500fps muzzle velocity will have the same energy at 40 yards as a 3.5" lead #6 with a 1500 fps muzzle velocity. Only way you get extra energy is if your shells are a higher velocity, which most I shoot aren't.

I shoot 3.5 because my guns pattern them well and it adds to he pattern. If my gun didn't shoot them well, I'd be shooting a 3". I look at the extra shot in the same manner I do HTL shells. They add something positive to my pattern - I'll continue to shoot them.

Signed, stepping down to a 20ga with Fed HW #7s when my 3.5" shells are gone ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^^ You got me on that one. I guess I should have left the energy aspect out of it and just said the extra pellets. My gun patterns them very well too. I attribute part of that to having an overbored barrel, which was touched on a little in this thread. I appreciate the correction for me.