turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are 3.5" worth the pain? ????

Started by Browning4140, March 16, 2016, 11:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobspur

Straight answer I'll give you is no, 3.5 inch is not needed based on how far ammo has come today. I would be reluctant to shoot over 35 yds though with 99 in 10 inches at 40.  But also...

In my opinion, there shouldn't be pain with 3.5 inch loads.  In my experience the majority of the time I watch someone shoot they are not holding the shotgun tight enough.  A professional shooter taught me a long time ago, that you need to hold that gun as tight as hell.  The hotter the loads, the tighter you hold it into your shoulder.  Maybe I just have a really tough shoulder, but by doing this recoil does not bother me.  I can target shoot a box or two of 3.5 inch loads and feel no soreness/bruising.  Not saying it would be this way for everyone obviously, but just offering as a tip to make sure you hold as tight as possible.  Other people have said that their guns pattern better with 3 inch, so need to take that into consideration too.  My gun has always preferred 3.5 inch, better pattern/more pellets.  Because of this and the fact that they don't bother me, I subscribe to the "more is better". Good luck!

bmhern

I want all the pellets I can send his way, I use a lead sled to pattern my guns and when he is standing out there recoil is a non issue!!

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: MShillhunter on March 17, 2016, 12:22:05 AM
I hardly feel the kick of 3.5 while shooting a bird. Shooting at a target is a different story. So I prefer to have them just in case. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I did take a gobbler at nearly 65 yards Tuesday afternoon with 3.5" longboard XR. I don't like shooting that far but he didn't leave me much of a choice.
65 yards! because "he didn't leave me much of a choice." that's a really long shot. glad it worked out for you.  :TrainWreck1:
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Farmboy27

I hardly feel the kick of 3.5 while shooting a bird. Shooting at a target is a different story. So I prefer to have them just in case. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I did take a gobbler at nearly 65 yards Tuesday afternoon with 3.5" longboard XR. I don't like shooting that far but he didn't leave me much of a choice.
Glad you got him but remember, you always have a choice.  Let him walk! 

TauntoHawk

Choice is pretty simple, don't shoot.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jbird22

For me, the answer is YES! I've yet to walk away from killing a bird with the thought of how hard my gun kicked on my mind. When I do, I'll change. Til then, 3.5" it is for me!

Bowguy

Many 3-1/2" guns aren't actually set up to throw great 3-1/2" patterns. Too much shot in a reg barrel can distort the shot n be counter productive, hence many guns like 3" better. I've never seen an 835 do that though anything is possible but that gun was made for bigger loads. Bigger loads simples math wise have more pellets n had the shot not been banged around 3-1/2 should be better.
That being Dias the new loads have changed everything

tomstopper

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 17, 2016, 09:18:30 AM

Choice is pretty simple, don't shoot.
:agreed: Don't take the chance on wounding an animal. Let him walk and get back on him in the morning. As for the 3.5 in shells, in my 870 and Stoeger 3500, I use the 3.5 because they throw more pellets down range and pattern fine but I will say that my Win 1300 has killed more birds using 3 in shells than both my 870 & Stoeger 3500 combined.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Browning4140 on March 16, 2016, 11:30:46 PM
I shot some Winchester supreme HV 3" no. 5 today at 40yds and it put 99 pellets in a 10" circle and 13 in the brain/spine area. I would like to have a few more hits on target but I'm not willing to fork out the extra money for some HTL loads and I'm not really interested in going to the LBXR loads b/c they pattern too tight inside of 20yds. So my question is, is it worth the extra pain to step up to the 3.5 mags as far as recoil?
I shot longbeard XRs for a season before trying the HEVIs again. The reason being, the longbeard XRs have less total pellets in them than the HEVIs when using same sized shot which could hinder performance AND they do throw REALLY tight patterns so inside 20 yards you better be a great shot and know where your pattern is going. Mine was the size of a softball which makes for an easy miss up close. I would aim at the base of the turkey's neck but this also gives many more pellets in the breast meat. Have you tried Hevi 6s or even 7s or even the mixed ones (5,6,7)?  Unfortunately all they have around me are those mixed magnum loads but for me I get 130-150 pellets in 10" circle at 45 yards so I know I am likely good at 50 yards. I will test it again this summer. The HEVI 7s are said to hold their energy to kill a bird at 50 yards and should get you considerably more pellets on target.  Now as for your original question about 3.5s. I say WHY NOT? If you have the money for the rounds then yes they are worth it. More pellets only equals better as long as you spend a little time patterning it.  In my case, my set-up works fine so I am not really looking to up my pellet count but I have heard 3.5s getting 200+ pellets in 10" at 40-50 yards which is great!  As for recoil...wear a towel or some padding on that shoulder while sighting the gun in or patterning.  During the season when shooting a turkey you will NOT feel the shot. maybe afterwards your arm will be a little sore.  Everyone used to tell me the kick of a 300win mag is not worth it for shooting 400 yards but I have NEVER "felt" it shooting a deer. YES I feel it at the range but like I state above, use some padding or a folded towel on your shoulder at the range. Just my two cents.

wmn2

Honestly, maybe it's because I'm only 28, but 3.5's don't really bother me. I shot 40 of them at the range not long ago an never even got sore. Now I know if I shot 100, it'd be different. Idk, maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but they dot bother me.
That being said, do I NEED them, no. Do I want them, yes. The extra pellets and down range energy I like. If I was worried about the recoil I could kill turkey's with a .410 if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

I used a Mossberg 935 (3.5) pump for several years. I never noticed the kick much unless while patterning, then it was significant. However, I did come away with a bloody lip more than once while shooting a bird! Last spring I bought a Mossberg 930 (3.0) auto. Due to the three inch shell, plus being an auto, the kick is quite a bit less. Patterns are as good as they need to be. The 935 has been relegated to a backup status.

OldSchool

Quote from: perrytrails on March 17, 2016, 01:22:05 AM
Most of my birds have been taken with lead, under 30 yards, 2 3/4 inch shell.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Browning4140 on March 16, 2016, 11:30:46 PM
I shot some Winchester supreme HV 3" no. 5 today at 40yds and it put 99 pellets in a 10" circle and 13 in the brain/spine area. I would like to have a few more hits on target but I'm not willing to fork out the extra money for some HTL loads and I'm not really interested in going to the LBXR loads b/c they pattern too tight inside of 20yds. So my question is, is it worth the extra pain to step up to the 3.5 mags as far as recoil?

Just switch to #6's.

Cut N Run

I never shot a 3.5 inch shell & haven't needed to.  I've only shot at one turkey beyond 35 yards in 30+ years of hunting turkeys because that's just how I learned to hunt. If he's not in sure thing range, let him walk.  I mostly hunt in fairly close cover in the woods, so when he's coming to find the hen, he's usually going to be pretty close before I drop the hammer. I've had 2 surgeries on my shooting shoulder, so I don't need to pile on any more abuse than the 3 inch shells already inflict. 

I switched to Hevi shot several years ago and really like how it performs compared to lead. It is definitely worth the expense to me because it absolutely slams the turkeys. About any size and type of shot would work as close as I let 'em get, but the Hevi adds extended range if I ever need it.

Good luck whatever you decide to go with. 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

born2hunt

The reason being, the longbeard XRs have less total pellets in them than the HEVIs when using same sized shot.
[/quote]

Maybe I'm just missing something but I don't see how. If HEVI is heavier than lead than the way I see it is an ounce of hevi 6s would contain less pellets than an ounce of lead 6s. Now if it were measured by volume than sure but by weight...well someone's gonna have to shine some light on it for me. What I do know is you can go to a smaller shot with Hevi , giving you more pellets and still have the energy needed.

Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."