turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are 3.5" worth the pain? ????

Started by Browning4140, March 16, 2016, 11:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning4140

I shot some Winchester supreme HV 3" no. 5 today at 40yds and it put 99 pellets in a 10" circle and 13 in the brain/spine area. I would like to have a few more hits on target but I'm not willing to fork out the extra money for some HTL loads and I'm not really interested in going to the LBXR loads b/c they pattern too tight inside of 20yds. So my question is, is it worth the extra pain to step up to the 3.5 mags as far as recoil?

Hook hanger

No not worth a flinching problem!

born2hunt

I have a combo that puts up about the same pattern and ain't a turkey one ever escaped it. Sometimes I wonder if 3 inch is worth it...heck, 12 ga period.  I can easily get that from my 20 and it's a whole lot more pleasant to shoot.

If I were you I'd call it a day and hit the woods.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

MShillhunter

I hardly feel the kick of 3.5 while shooting a bird. Shooting at a target is a different story. So I prefer to have them just in case. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I did take a gobbler at nearly 65 yards Tuesday afternoon with 3.5" longboard XR. I don't like shooting that far but he didn't leave me much of a choice.

MK M GOBL

My Vote would be "No"

I have never needed it, have more than 225 birds now taken under the 20 yard mark and to date exactly 1 bird over 40 yards... and that was with my 12ga 3"...

MK M GOBL

perrytrails

Most of my birds have been taken with lead, under 30 yards, 2 3/4 inch shell.

mudhen

I'll take the extra pellets for now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

tha bugman

Just depends on the gun.  I use a lead sled sighting in and when I shoot a bird I never feel recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEMO

Do you wanna know why I shoot a 3.5" shell?.............cause they don't make a 4" shell!!! :z-guntootsmiley:

Jacobson

Quote from: SEMO on March 17, 2016, 05:50:36 AM
Do you wanna know why I shoot a 3.5" shell?.............cause they don't make a 4" shell!!! :z-guntootsmiley:
That's funny. The only time 3.5 are a pain is on the bench. No person feels the 3.5 shooting at a turkey. Good Luck this season.......

hotspur

I've been shooting. A 31\w shell for long time. I'm now patterning and buying 3 inch.

wvmntnhick

They're not necessary. The extra payload is nice for the times that you misjudge yardage a bit but otherwise not necessary. Heck, I've had a couple guns that have patterned better with the 3" than they did with the 3-1/2". Maybe all the extra shot trying to cram itself into the tube blew the pattern. I don't really know but they're certainly not necessary.

Big perm2

Every guy has his own preference and mine is a bps 10 ga! If a guy wants to shoot a
.410 that's his choice.. But anyway I like the 300 pellets in a ten inch circle at 40 yrds

Talkem into given up!!!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

99 pellets w lead in the 10" at 40 indicates to me that you should really only be shooting at birds 35 yards and in.  13 pellets in the head and neck is a very low  number considering that some of your pattern will be consumed by branches/leaves/etc unless you're shooting at birds in a field or completely open timber.

I don't understand why guys will pay 800-1500 for a shotgun and pull the cheap card on the price difference between a box of lead and a box of hevi shot. As far as longbeards go, why can't you just bring your aiming point down into the feathers below the base of the neck to avoid missing?

I may be way of course here but I would personally never carry a gun that shot less than 200 in the 10" at 40.

hookedspur

NO not in the case of my 3.5' guns .
Both will throw a better pattern with 3" shells.
1187 Rem. SM and a SBE2 .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions