OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shooting Jakes

Started by Ol'Mossy, April 01, 2011, 10:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

I only shoot jakes. Its harder to get a jake to come in strutting then a 2 year old.

snapper1982

i killed a jake once by accident. i dont shoot them because i am usually tagged out long befor i have to worry about eating tag soup but if it comes to the point of eating tag or eating turkey well now Mr. Jake is fair game. i have called in jakes and others have shot them. heck i even took a girl that had never hunted and called her in 3 jakes she shot one then a week later 3 more jakes and she shot another and was the happiest hunter i have ever been with and that thrilled me. her dad on the other hand was an  and told us that we ruined the turkey hunting on his property and never congratulated her. i bet he wouldnt be happy that i went back a couple days later and killed a nice long beard off the state land next to his and thn last year i shot both my birds next to his propety..lol... dont seem to me that the hunting was hurt one bit!!!

BrowningGuy88

Again my rule for jakes is:

If he struts, shoot him. If he gobbles, shoot him. If he walks in like a bearded hen, he lives til next year.

I have no problem with anyone shooting a jake. Any legal turkey is a trophy in my book.

daman

buck_hunter21

Quote from: Basser69 on April 01, 2011, 03:03:05 PM
Quote from:  link=topic=6212.msg74738#msg74738 date=1301679752
Quote from: hobbes on April 01, 2011, 01:20:28 PM
My comment was more for those that get completely bent out of shape over a jake.  I don't have any plans to shoot one, but the "no.....never..........no way........no how" crowd starts to resemble trophy hunting that a lot of us would rather turkey hunting didn't turn into.

Count me among those that doesn't like how turkey hunting is turning into trophy hunting.  Too many deer hunters taking up the sport to pass the time till fall I guess....

I do not think it is as much the deer hunters as it is the shows on TV. They are doing the samething with turkeys as they have with deer hunting.

Bottom line is if it makes you happy and is legal, shash some heads. If a jake catches me in the right mood will I bust him, you bet!

:z-winnersmiley: I could not agree more.
Spill Blood