OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WOW!...what a difference!

Started by SteelerFan, March 16, 2016, 06:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

1st, I'd like to thank all of you that have posted tips, info, instruction, etc. on this thread. What a fantastic resource!! I've skimmed through as many pages of this thread as I could looking for info, and admiring these fine calls. Amazing how many guys, like me, post the "new to trumpets" topic and you all still add your advice.

As I mentioned in my 1st post, I bought a "hunter grade" trumpet since I wasn't sure if I would 1. like it, or 2. even be able to use it. Reading through these threads, I came across davisd9"s advice that he has repeated here several times: "The learning curve will be much steeper on a trumpet that is hard to draw air. I suggest that if you want to learn and help with the learning curve then invest in a good trumpet. If you decide it is not for you then a quality trumpet would not be difficult to get your money back on. Good luck."

Well, I took a leap of faith and contacted Anthony @ AGE Trumpets (antnye, here) and ordered a trumpet from him. It showed up at the house today, so I obviously had to unwrap it!!! Let me tell you... 10 minutes with this trumpet and it sounds 100X better than what I had been producing! It was sooooo much easier to control airflow, and the sound was so much richer and turkey-like!!! I can now concentrate on sound chamber, hand placement, etc. without having to suck air like a fish out of water.

Now, maybe that other trumpet helped "toughen me up", by forcing me to find ways to get sounds out of it, I don't know? But I can say I am so pleased with this beautiful "instrument"! Now I'm really determined to get consistent enough to hunt it regularly. Thanks Anthony!!

Cocobola w/ buffalo horn mouthpiece...

Smooth_Operator

Great looking trumpet there, congrats! 

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

M Sharpe

Good looking horn.

Now, after you've picked up all those bad habits of trying to play that call that took so much air, retrain yourself to back w...a...y off the pressure.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

SteelerFan

Quote from: M Sharpe on March 16, 2016, 06:53:49 PM
Good looking horn.

Now, after you've picked up all those bad habits of trying to play that call that took so much air, retrain yourself to back w...a...y off the pressure.
THAT'S the first thing I noticed!!! I can actually draw air AND breath now!  :icon_thumright:

gergg

Beautiful piece of cocobolo, sure makes a nice looking trumpet. I have one of Anthony's trumpets too, I'm not competent enough to use it in the woods yet, but it's not the calls fault. Anthony is a great guy too!
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

chefrific

Oh, so you are the culprit that snatched up that cocobolo trumpet I was eyeballing on his website. LOL.

Congrats on a beautiful horn.  Warning, they are rather addictive.  Wife is not happy about my new found passion with trumpets at all!
I got my first 3 since January, still learning, but I'm hooked.

Now get that thing in the woods and kill a bird with it!

greentag

Quote from: chefrific on March 17, 2016, 08:51:03 AM
Oh, so you are the culprit that snatched up that cocobolo trumpet I was eyeballing on his website. LOL.

Congrats on a beautiful horn.  Warning, they are rather addictive.  Wife is not happy about my new found passion with trumpets at all!
I got my first 3 since January, still learning, but I'm hooked.

Now get that thing in the woods and kill a bird with it!
thats funny,i got my first one in feburary and now i have three,and keep eyeballing others too.i thought pot calls where bad,but these trumpets are like them with a lot steeper price tag.i use to keep pot calls laying around everywhere where i could just pick them up and run them whenever,now i got little stands built with the trumpets in their place.im starting to sound like a pretty mean turkey though,cant wait to try them out this year.

troutfisher13111

Nice trumpet!

I have bought 4 in the last month, and am actually considering number 5. But that will be it, I swear!

The Cohutta Strutter

The horn I have from Anthony is easy playing and sounds great ! You've got a horn to go with, really up to you to get what you can out of it. Mr. Sharpe gave excellent advice about cutting back or controlling the air flow. Try to find out what is the absolute minimum amount of air( suction and lip tension ) for you to run the call and go from there.
Anybody seen America lately?

nitro

Beautiful call. Good luck on learning how to play her. Don't give up,  head to the woods with that instrument of Death!!!
Royal Slam 2008

West Augusta

The right trumpet makes all the difference in the world.  Finding one that fits you and your style makes running one much easier.
After you learn to run one, it makes running others a little easier but then there will be some that you just can't run right.

You got a good looking horn there.  Congrats.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

SteelerFan

Like a junkie with a needle in their arm... I'm hooked. Nowhere near ready for prime-time yet, but I'm making enough noise to fuel the addiction. Still need the training wheels and helmet!   ;D

Again, thanks Anthony for a great instrument. I will learn to play this thing. (*And thank you Zumer!  :icon_thumright:)

**Don't judge the trumpet on my lack of ability:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4oHCW1p1Ro

gergg

Quote from: SteelerFan on March 24, 2016, 02:52:31 PM
Like a junkie with a needle in their arm... I'm hooked. Nowhere near ready for prime-time yet, but I'm making enough noise to fuel the addiction. Still need the training wheels and helmet!   ;D

Again, thanks Anthony for a great instrument. I will learn to play this thing. (*And thank you Zumer!  :icon_thumright:)

**Don't judge the trumpet on my lack of ability:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4oHCW1p1Ro

Nice.....you sound great, doing that trumpet and Anthony proud.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

antnye

That'll kill a turkey right there! Sounds great Jeff!
Glad your liking it.