OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

copperheads

Started by Prohunter3509, March 16, 2016, 12:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I can't believe I actually watched that video... I was thinking of doing some solo hunting, but I am absolutely terrified of snakes, even though I have never walked up on one while hunting. I definitely wear snake boots any time I am out in the woods. Anywho, looks like I will be waiting until somebody can go with me...

Jwall

Everybody keeps talking about snakes smelling like a cucumber or some type of stink but I can assure you if one went to bite me the only smell would be urine bc I would def pee all over myself. I mowed the yard today and there was a garter snake slithering across the grass and I thought well maybe that dude will help get rid of some of these moles, then reality set in and I had to go with the motto the only good snake is a dead one. He got mowed over.

Izzyjoe

I try to be like a turkey when I'm in the woods, I see everything. What I don't like is early in the am using a flashlight, if it's colder they don't move to well, so I have the upper hand. But warmer mornings better watch out. I don't like to shoot snakes while turkey hunting, that's the last alternative.

Marc

Quote from: FullChoke on March 16, 2016, 02:42:34 PM
I don't know about cucumbers, but the ones I see all smell like poop.
It is not the snake that smells like that...  If you are anything like me, it is probably your underwear...

Actually, I am lucking in California.  Rattlesnakes are not aggressive, and generally want nothing more than to get away from you.  They give you good indication when they are around, and you really have to surprise one to get bit.

Using a weed eater at my duck club, a rattler struck at me, grazing my leg.  I quickly dispatched it, and carried out my work (with far more anxiety than when I started).   As I returned to the dead snake, I went to pick it up, only to realize it was another snake (right next to the dead one).  I killed that one, and as I reached down to pick it up, there was a third... 

I left my club with a bit of unfinished work, and was speaking an octave or two higher the rest of the day.  But, had I not been using the weed eater, I certainly would have heard them buzzing, and easily avoided the whole encounter.

The water moccasins in Florida scared the crap out of me...  They will flat out chase you.  Had one get into my car while bass fishing along a canal (a whole different story unto itself)...  I must have looked suspicious approaching my car and then running away, cause a police officer stopped to see what was up.
He did not believe me at first, and asked if I minded if he took a look.  Not sure what he expected to find, but it was obvious, that even with my warning he was not expecting that snake.  He offered to call animal control, but I ended up getting it out with my fishing rod.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

hs strut

that is why i wear snake boots. i will say im probably in a minority here because im not going to kill the snake ive only came up on a couple copperheads but when given space they stayed calm and slithered off.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

deerbasshunter3

I would shoot one if it were around one of my deer stands or the house, but I can't see ruining a hunt just to chase one down and kill it. Of course, that is easy to say right now sitting on the couch. Who knows what I might do if I were to walk up on one that wouldn't get out of the way.

Marc

Quote from: hs strut on March 22, 2016, 01:07:44 AM
I will say im probably in a minority here because im not going to kill the snake ive only came up on a couple copperheads but when given space they stayed calm and slithered off.
If I am somewhere where the snake poses a possible threat to people or dogs, I will kill it.  If I am in the woods, they get a free pass.

I used to kill them on cattle ranches as well, but come to find out that cattle being bit by rattlesnakes is extremely rare...  Maybe they can smell them???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

deerbasshunter3

Aren't the odds of actually being bitten by a snake pretty slim? From what I understand, a snake will usually get out of your way before you even know it is there, correct?

ilbucksndux

I encounter them on a regular basis. Mostly cottonmouths and copperheads,a rattler once in awhile. The rattlers with just lay there if you are close,and most try to get away from you . A copperhead is much the same way.A cottonmouth on the other hand will sand his ground and if you are close he will strike.

I look at the ground. Every time I put my foot down I look. Last year I stepped down into a small creek/ditch and felt him hit my boot. Looked again and there he was a good size copperhead I stepped over him and got to close for his comfort. The year before that I stepped right behind ones head .
Gary Bartlow

Yoder409

Quote from: Izzyjoe on March 22, 2016, 12:24:02 AMI don't like to shoot snakes while turkey hunting, that's the last alternative.

Yep.

1st alternative..........rocks

2nd alternative.........big stick

Last alternative........shoot

:icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

tha bugman

slipping through the swamp this morning thinking the same thing....had enough moonlight through the clouds I didn't break out a flashlight...comes with the territory I guess...but ever present in the mind
Quote from: bbcoach on March 16, 2016, 02:06:09 PM
With 70 and 80 degree days, I guarantee the copperheads, rattlesnakes and cottonmouths are out in full force so everyone keep an eye out and Be Safe!