OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any more suggestions?

Started by Farmboy27, March 15, 2016, 08:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

So my hunting buddies seem to think that gobble-n-grunt outfitters might be a little to costly for them but we still want to go for merriams next spring.  A do it yourself public ground hunt is not really practical for us since we have limited time for the trip and wont have the time to spend scouting an area and finding birds.  However, we are all experienced turkey hunters and would be fine with a semi-guided hunt that includes lodging.  Because of the time constraints we don't want to travel beyond Nebraska or South Dakota (We would like to leave PA on a Saturday at noon when we're done taking our kids on youth day and be back the follow Friday to get ready for regular season opener the next day!)  Anybody have any suggestions on a reliable, affordable, outfitter in that area?

wvmntnhick

While I know no one out there, based on what you're wanting, what's wrong with the public land hunt? May as well save the money and make a good adventure out of it.

Farmboy27

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 15, 2016, 08:38:56 PM
While I know no one out there, based on what you're wanting, what's wrong with the public land hunt? May as well save the money and make a good adventure out of it.
Time constraint!  Locating birds can take time.  I don't mind an adventure but four of us want to find and kill birds in 4 days time.  Subtract a day or two for scouting and finding birds, not much time left.  I know its the hunt not the kill, but lets face it.  No one likes to go that far and come home empty handed. 

wvmntnhick

10-4.  I get that. Most of my scouting takes place while hunting. But, to be fair, we've hunted the same spots for years. So long as the timber company that owns the club property doesn't timber that chunk of ground, we can find the birds fairly easy. Having said that, when things don't pan out, we start covering ground and scouting for new areas. Good luck on your trip. Hope y'all get some nice ones.

BowBendr

The surest way to mess up a good time is to cram too much into too little time. For a trip that far from home I personally would wait til I could put more days into it. Outfitted or not, you're asking for a lot for 4 people in 4 days, practically speaking....

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

turkeyfoot

What are the exact dates your looking at

spaightlabs

https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/spo/5448174345.html

He seems to think most of their birds are Merriams, but doesn't look like it in their gallery...buyer beware.

Farmboy27

Quote from: BowBendr on March 15, 2016, 09:10:26 PM
The surest way to mess up a good time is to cram too much into too little time. For a trip that far from home I personally would wait til I could put more days into it. Outfitted or not, you're asking for a lot for 4 people in 4 days, practically speaking....

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions
Sound advice for sure and point well taken!  The thing is we all only get a week vacation at our jobs, ever! (I know, I know find another job right?!!)  On top of that 3 of us are farmers in addition to our "day jobs" so getting away for just one week means cramming a couple weeks worth of work into the week before.  Getting away for more than a week is just plain impossible.  I know its not going to be easy and I know that some of us are likely to come home empty handed regardless, but I would feel much better going somewhere that they can at least give us a heads up on some birds.  We all hunt hard hunted easterns here at home, I would hate to drive that far to hunt hard hunted public land birds on my "vacation". 

spaightlabs

http://www.boxlranch.com/pricing/index.htm

Chadron is definitely in Merriam country...price is as good as you will find for an outfitted hunt.

triune

My advice would be to enjoy the experience.  If an enjoyable trip means filling tags, then put out the money for a guide.  If you all want to go out and experience a good time then go have some fun.  Two of my brothers and my Dad would pack up every spring and head out for a spring "adventure".  There never was a time when we all came back with a filled tag but wouldn't trade those days for anything. The trips were always less than a week long.  From SD to TX and many in between we had a great time.
I'll be the first to admit tag soup is not the tastiest meal I've ever had but would gladly eat it again this spring if one more trip could be possible.

Best of luck to you all and hope it works out.

Kenny

Farmboy27

Quote from: turkeyfoot on March 15, 2016, 09:16:00 PM
What are the exact dates your looking at
Probably would leave April 22 and get home by April 28.