turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

UV dampening detergents?

Started by Marc, March 15, 2016, 06:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Anyone have any recommendations for UV dampening detergents?  I know we are supposed to avoid any detergents with color brighteners...

I just purchased this stuff:
http://www.atsko.com/u-v-killer-sport-wash-combo/

Anyone else have some products that they like?  Any readily available detergents that would be good to use for camouflage clothing?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Greg Massey

Never use any of this stuff. i use good old baking soda and after washing hang them out to dry on my screen in porch.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Any detergent without UV brighteners is fine.  But a lot of the camo that is sold is already pumped up with UV brighteners when you get it.  The UV killer you bought works well.

Marc

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 15, 2016, 06:46:24 PM
Any detergent without UV brighteners is fine.  But a lot of the camo that is sold is already pumped up with UV brighteners when you get it.  The UV killer you bought works well.

Not trying to be a smart-azz, but how do you know?

I have seen clothes through the UV enhancers, and it convinced me that it is worth washing clothes in detergents without UV color brighteners...

I also did research in college on photoreceptors and I understand that turkeys and other game can see wavelengths of colors we cannot (i.e. U.V.)...
Did I do that?

Farmboy27

I have never used any special detergents for any of my hunting clothes.  I have had turkeys close enough to touch tons of times (have had them that close while wearing orange in fall season and deer season).  I don't argue that some animals can see the color wave-lengths better than us but I still believe that movement is the ultimate give away.  Move at the wrong time and it don't much matter what your wearing. 

wvmntnhick

With turkeys, it's all about movement. They see color like we do according to the research I've seen. Deer will pick up on the UV spectrum. I've used the product mentioned above and it does kill the UV when viewed under a black light. After that, most sport wash detergents will help keep the UV contamination at a minimum. If you're looking for stuff without the brighteners, I believe Gain powders are brightener free. If you can find one that's u scented, you should be set. Again, it doesn't get rid of the already existing UV brighteners. It just doesn't introduce new ones.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Marc on March 15, 2016, 07:53:28 PM
Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 15, 2016, 06:46:24 PM

Not trying to be a smart-azz, but how do you know?

I have seen clothes through the UV enhancers, and it convinced me that it is worth washing clothes in detergents without UV color brighteners...

I also did research in college on photoreceptors and I understand that turkeys and other game can see wavelengths of colors we cannot (i.e. U.V.)...
I'm not really sure what you are after,  but I see a huge difference in the brightness when exposing the clothes to a blacklight in the dark showing that the UV is being absorbed and not reflected or photoluminescing.  Basically the clothes go black under the UV instead of giving off that blue-white glow.
I think the research is pretty solid that turkeys can detect part of the UV spectrum.

Happy

I wash my hunting clothes in wash specifically made for them. I also use dead downwind uv spay. Just spray it on and let it dry. Treated mine a couple weeks ago. Gonna do the permethrin here in a few weeks and should be good to go. I agree it is mainly movement but nobody knows 100% how any animal sees anything. It's all an educated guess.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

PALongspur

I use Atsko Sport Wash on all my hunting clothes. In a pinch, you can always use baking soda.

stinkpickle

I always use baking soda.  It's cheap and easy.  If I ever think I'm glowing in UV, I'll roll around in the dirt.

Marc

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 15, 2016, 08:41:45 PM
I'm not really sure what you are after,  but I see a huge difference in the brightness when exposing the clothes to a blacklight in the dark showing that the UV is being absorbed and not reflected or photoluminescing.  Basically the clothes go black under the UV instead of giving off that blue-white glow.
I think the research is pretty solid that turkeys can detect part of the UV spectrum.

I was wondering if perhaps you have been able to utilize technology that would allow you to actually see that the detergent/spray is working...

I would agree that the research shows that turkeys (and other birds) have the ability to see UV...

Back in college (some time ago) I actually did research with equipment that was able to detect and physically see the rods and cones in retinal tissue...  Never worked on birds, but presence or lack of certain cones will determine what wavelengths of light we can see or not...

I certainly appreciate your contribution to the thread.
Did I do that?

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 15, 2016, 09:09:27 PM
If I ever think I'm glowing in UV, I'll roll around in the dirt.
I knew a fellow that did that and we all agreed he wasn't so bright.   :toothy12:

Greg Massey

Hey Rapescallion Vermilion..he also needs to look out for fire ant's if he's rolling around in that dirt..

skimerhorn

Check out pure one outdoors, they have some good products

HogBiologist

With all this new "stuff" we as hunters have to have to kill game, makes you wonder how your grandpa ever killed anything. I don't buy into the hype. Killed plenty of turkeys in old cheap camouflage and plenty of deer in plain clothes without scentlok. Quit worrying and just hunt.
Certified Wildlife Biologist