turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HEVI 13s loosing buffer.

Started by born2hunt, March 15, 2016, 11:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2hunt

It seems like I heard of this before but have any of yall had a issue with your hevi shot loosing buffer ?
I set up a 20 for my kids last year and found some 2 3/4 hevi 6s on sale, they patterned well so I bought several boxes. I had one last year and now 2 more this past weekend loosing buffer.  I sealed the ends with candle wax but a couple lost to much to even trust the pattern.
That crap made a mess in the action and is pretty pathetic considering the price of these things.  Looks like I'll be back to the board with some Federal 7s for next year.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Dr Juice

I have not experience this situation since they separated from Remington. A dab of glue or silicon on the shell will fix that, but I understand your frustration due to the high price tag. Good luck.

mikejd

I stopped using them because of the same issue. I know I can glue them but I don't feel I should have to at that price point. Now using long beards.

wvmntnhick

LB's have had a similar problem. My buddy had one that the resin apparently broke apart in the tube of his gun after firing the first initial round at his bird. Good thing he killed it because the crimp failed on the LB and left his gun useless until it was taken apart and cleaned. After speaking to one of the reps, turns out it happened to several people. Didn't keep me from using them. It's just that any she'll can fail at any given time. I've never had issues with either brand but have heard the problems with both.

Gobble!

Happened to me with their shells and Nitros. Main reason I'm shooting TSS now.

northwoodshntr

I've seen this happen with shells that get cycled thru the magazine frequently or spend lots of time in the magazine. Compression with wear and tear on the crimp. Beyond the super glue or candle wax repair I'm at a loss. I did check my new (last year) in the box Hevi Shot loads and they're clean. ????? If they're still "new in the box" I'd call Hevi Shot. That sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.   

Gobspur

I like to dip my shells in dead gobbler blood.  Keeps the buffer in and makes em lucky!

born2hunt

Quote from: northwoodshntr on March 15, 2016, 01:53:38 PM
I've seen this happen with shells that get cycled thru the magazine frequently or spend lots of time in the magazine. Compression with wear and tear on the crimp. Beyond the super glue or candle wax repair I'm at a loss. I did check my new (last year) in the box Hevi Shot loads and they're clean. ????? If they're still "new in the box" I'd call Hevi Shot. That sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.
Yeah these are new shells.  They put some type of glue on the crimp and it just comes of, it looks like a little star. The crimp is not tight so the buffer just pours out.  I thought about calling them and see what they say.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

spaightlabs

It takes about 20 seconds to re-seal a box of 5. 

If you don't have 20 seconds or a dollar to buy glue  or a bottle of clear nail polish turkey hunting might not be the right sport for you...

Hooksfan

Haven't had that issue myself, but I wouldn't be very happy after spending that kind of money either. 
On a side note, this has been an eye opening thread....kind of depressing to know I have invested 36 years, a divorce, tons of money, thousands of miles, and wasted it all away on an endeavor that "wasn't for me."
.....all because I have never felt the need to reseal a brand new shotgun shell I spent good money on.  Whodathunkit. :angel9:

madstrutter

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 15, 2016, 01:31:26 PM
LB's have had a similar problem. My buddy had one that the resin apparently broke apart in the tube of his gun after firing the first initial round at his bird. Good thing he killed it because the crimp failed on the LB and left his gun useless until it was taken apart and cleaned. After speaking to one of the reps, turns out it happened to several people. Didn't keep me from using them. It's just that any she'll can fail at any given time. I've never had issues with either brand but have heard the problems with both.

Wait, what are you trying to say happened?

stinkpickle

I've had loose crimps from all shell companies, but it's more common with EM.  I give them a coating of nail polish whether they need it or not.  I had one that was too bad to seal, so I emailed EM about it, and they sent me a hat.  ;)

spaightlabs

Hey, all I'm saying is that if a guy is willing to drive hundreds of miles and spend thousands of dollars to spend an incalculable amount of time sitting dead still while being eaten alive by insects...20 seconds and a dollar, not a big deal.

If the good Lord has blessed you such that all you have to worry about in your life is whether a little bit of buffer leaks out the crimp of your $5 a pop shotgun shell, you are indeed truly and mightily blessed, for this is for certain a 'first world problem.'

If a little leaking buffer makes you 'not that happy' because you spent 'that kind of money' send your shells to me and I will either give you $10 a box for them or I will spend 20 seconds per box to seal them and return them to you so that you have time to worry about more important things like the NCAA tournament and who the Broncos next quarterback is going to be. ;D 

spaightlabs

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 15, 2016, 04:08:49 PM
I've had loose crimps from all shell companies, but it's more common with EM.  I give them a coating of nail polish whether they need it or not.  I had one that was too bad to seal, so I emailed EM about it, and they sent me a hat.  ;)

That's the attitude I'm talking about!  A do-er.  A Fixer.  A Finder of solutions.  These are the kinds of people that get things done in life!  Find a problem, fix it and move on to bigger and better things. 

Well played sir, and may your season be filled with adventure of the good and memorable kind.

owlhoot

Quote from: madstrutter on March 15, 2016, 03:39:38 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 15, 2016, 01:31:26 PM

Wait, what are you trying to say happened?
there is a thread on here about it. i thought it was just the over shot card that's in 4 sections and lightly glued , i had some in the box that way missing a section or the whole thing loose. Put some light fingertip pressure and popped some more loose, various lots and shell 3" lb to 2 3/4 rooster.
Figure i would glue and go on. If the resin is already shattered though it isnt a Long beard any more!