turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The relentless chase is finally over

Started by bow junkie, March 31, 2011, 11:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bow junkie

I have been hunting this bird for 2 weeks and today at 430, he finally made a mistake.the story starts about 2 1/2 weeks ago when I took my family fishing. While fishing with one of my daughters, I thought I heard the familiar sound of a deep gobble. Sure enough, after listening to that old boy go off about a hundred times I had to go see what fuss was all about. I slipped through the trees up to a pasture and saw him about 300 yards on the edge strutting and gobbling. The next day I went back to the lake and the gobbling was still going on and on. I thought this is going to be an easy bird to hunt. Yeah was I wrong, opening morning me and the wife set up on him gobbling in the tree. When they hit the ground (big boy and three hens) I called them to us. The hens led the convoy and there he was. I told my wife to shoot but she couldn't see him. So I let them walk away and told my wife that they didn't spook, so we could get him another time. As the days went by, he would only gobble at my box call a couple of times and shut up. I tried to set up in the pasture where he struts every afternoon with a Jake and two hen decoys. Yeah that didn't work, he came out in the pasture look at my set up and went back in the woods. So next I got with a friend who is an awesome caller and we set out for two days ago. I told my friend where he roosts and what ridge he hangs out on, so we listened and no gobbling at all, not in the tree or on the ground. So after 30 minutes my friend starts calling softly with his diaphragm and nothing. A few minutes go by and he starts call in with his box call and the gobbling started and he was close. So we set up and just like before, a few gobbles and poof the Harry hoo dini trick. So this afternoon  try about 230 and thing was on fire, gobbling and coming my way. And agian just when he gets to and open spot in the woods nothing but silence. I sat there for an hour and got on my way, spanked again. On my way back I had to pass where the usual beating happens. So I thought I will practice with my mouh call. On my second yelp the dirty bird starts gobbling again, so I decided to play with him. Every time he would gobble I would cut him off yelling and cutting with my mouth call. About a minute passes and this thing turkey is mad and getting closer. When I saw him, I could not believe it. I shot him at 40 yards with my old beretta and took off running. Whe I got to him, he was still alive. All the rage that I built up chasing him came out cause when I came to, I was beating him in the head with the barrel of my gun. I was so excited for getting my nemesis and calling and killing for the first time with a mouth call. Standing over my trophy I noticed he only had one spur and it was only 7/8 of an inch long. His beard measured 11 inches, my longest. I get home, 5 minutes from were I hunt at and start cleaning him. More bad luck, the poor thing was snake bit in the chest or something, the whole left side was full of puss and was green and the smell was awful. Had an awesome time, can't wait get after some more tomorrow.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: bow junkie on March 31, 2011, 11:46:19 PMWhe I got to him, he was still alive. All the rage that I built up chasing him came out cause when I came to, I was beating him in the head with the barrel of my gun. I was so excited for getting my nemesis.
Are you serious? You really did that?? ??? :o
Well, congrats on getting him anyway.

Basser69

4nwtf

hobbes

congrats on the bird, but i can't say that I've ever had any rage built up inside while getting my butt handed to me by a tom.  I rather enjoy it.

TRKYHTR

Pick up a stick next time. Those guns are expensive. Congrats on your turkey.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Kylongspur88

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 01, 2011, 12:36:45 AM
Pick up a stick next time. Those guns are expensive. Congrats on your turkey.

TRKYHTR
ditto: Congrats on the bird. If I come up to one with some fight left in him I find that a boot heel on the head, grabbing the legs and giving a swift tug up ends them instantly. You can feel the pop and its done. shells are too expensive to waste on a point blank shot, might not be safe either...

tjh24

selinoid44

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

nctrkyhntr

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

JVA54

mdb

Great story.  Dont feel bad on the hand to hand combat, sometimes it's necessary.  Closing day last year I dueled with three toms for 2 1/2 hours, long story short I finally repositioned in some thicker stuff and that did the trick they came in, but made the shot not as clear as I would hope. I covered 30 yards in 2 seconds the bird had flipped into and got tangled in a little hemlock and if he busted out of it he might have scooby doo-ed never to be seen.  He died by my boot as much as my shot!  LOL

bow junkie

Thanks guys, that old gun has served me well. Beretta could make a commercial with all the abuse that it has gone through (from paddling pirogue's to slaying turkeys with barrel thrusts). Hopefully today my new gun arrives, I ordered my wife an 870 fully Camo with the shur shot stock. Next year it will be my turn and maybe I'll put the beretta in retirement.