OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My Charles Daly Auto

Started by flintlockgirl, March 13, 2016, 06:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlockgirl

I bought my shotgun 8 to 10 years ago new. Never been in the woods, I shot 8 shells through it and that's it. Its a 12 GA-3 screw in chokes-semi auto-28 inch barrel,vented rib.  Does anyone know or have an idea of a starting price to ask for this, Been sitting in my cabinet all these years, I take it out once a year and clean it, re-oil, ect. Made in Turkey. Decal comes off.

ilbucksndux

Gary Bartlow

chbarnha

depending on where you are located I may be interested.

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

worth612000

I would see if I could find one like it on GunBrokers and see what they are bringing.

flintlockgirl

Thank you, I know I paid over 300 and it has never been shot except those few, but if I have to. Thank you guys very much!

buckrutt29

Charles Daly is no longer in business and the parts for the guns are like finding a needle in a hay stack. The main problem with that line of semi's was the locking block was made from cast metal that would brake fairly easy. There are some replacement parts out there but they are hard to come by. In my opinion in the shape that its in (excellent) if you can get an offer north or $200.00 you would be wise to let it go if your wanting to sale it.  Good luck and happy hunting

flintlockgirl

That's my luck, own an excellent condition gun and lose money. I paid over 375. guess I made a bad choice, I heard they turned to junk later on but I thought I was safe seeing that this was bought back when. I guess I will keep it then, thank all very much.

sasquatch1

great little gun but the key words are "while it last." Shoot a few cases through it and you will see. Just keep it as a turkey gun and it'll last many years.

flintlockgirl

I found the blocks online, so the gun can be fixed if it breaks. It should last me forever then since I have only shot 8 shells through, I do like the gun, it feels great and isn't heavy.

wvmntnhick

Was going to post to this thread when the topic was fresh but didn't want to make it sound as if I was bashing your gun. You seemed to like it and it's not my place to speak bad of others possessions. The issue with the CD line is that they switched hands a few times. They went from one low budget manufacture to another and continued to get cheaper as they went. Having said that, quality control was suspect at best. Some of the guns they produced turned out to be great little guns but nothing I'd want to rely on for any serious jobs. Many of them had problems related to the gas system and some had other issues with internal parts. My local gun store actually sold the rest of their inventory at $250 and less just to get rid of them. They told customers that if it broke, send it back to CD yourself. Warned people of the problems ahead of time. I'm sure that if someone had offered them $150, they'd have probably taken it just to move them out of the store. The very first of these guns weren't that bad actually. They were decent guns. Unfortunately, as time goes and companies change, quality drops and consumers are left to deal with the issues. It's a shame really but such is life. Again, I'm not bashing the product as I believe they had a great idea and they produced an automatic that the working man could afford. It just wasn't executed very well. What blows my mind is that I've never heard of a single issue with any of the 20 gauge models at all. I'm aware of several guys that are using them for squirrel hunting with their dogs and these guns are taking a beating. Yet, they still hold up well and are chucking shells on the regular. Not sure what the difference is other than lower operating pressure perhaps.

sasquatch1

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 15, 2016, 06:08:40 AM
Was going to post to this thread when the topic was fresh but didn't want to make it sound as if I was bashing your gun. You seemed to like it and it's not my place to speak bad of others possessions. The issue with the CD line is that they switched hands a few times. They went from one low budget manufacture to another and continued to get cheaper as they went. Having said that, quality control was suspect at best. Some of the guns they produced turned out to be great little guns but nothing I'd want to rely on for any serious jobs. Many of them had problems related to the gas system and some had other issues with internal parts. My local gun store actually sold the rest of their inventory at $250 and less just to get rid of them. They told customers that if it broke, send it back to CD yourself. Warned people of the problems ahead of time. I'm sure that if someone had offered them $150, they'd have probably taken it just to move them out of the store. The very first of these guns weren't that bad actually. They were decent guns. Unfortunately, as time goes and companies change, quality drops and consumers are left to deal with the issues. It's a shame really but such is life. Again, I'm not bashing the product as I believe they had a great idea and they produced an automatic that the working man could afford. It just wasn't executed very well. What blows my mind is that I've never heard of a single issue with any of the 20 gauge models at all. I'm aware of several guys that are using them for squirrel hunting with their dogs and these guns are taking a beating. Yet, they still hold up well and are chucking shells on the regular. Not sure what the difference is other than lower operating pressure perhaps.

My dads is a 20ga and starting the 3rd year it is noting but trouble. Used mostly only one moth out the year for rabbit hunting in February.

codym

Quote from: buckrutt29 on March 14, 2016, 08:14:46 AM
Charles Daly is no longer in business and the parts for the guns are like finding a needle in a hay stack. The main problem with that line of semi's was the locking block was made from cast metal that would brake fairly easy. There are some replacement parts out there but they are hard to come by. In my opinion in the shape that its in (excellent) if you can get an offer north or $200.00 you would be wise to let it go if your wanting to sale it.  Good luck and happy hunting

I'm not trying to bash either, but I bought one back in 02 from Wally world. I was in High School and it was my first auto. I used it for waterfowl and it could not handle 3' shells. The locking block broke 3 times. The company fixed it each time, but after the 3rd time I traded it at a local pawn shop.

flintlockgirl

Hurray, as of this morning a guy emailed me back. he has a CNC machine, I have to wait because he does these in batches. SO I am on the list to have one made from a solid piece of metal. he told me the ones that break is made from that pressed metal junk, that's why they are breaking. So, I will have a new solid one coming, gonna keep it.The reason I ordered a CD, my husband had an older Ch, beautiful wood and engraving, he used it for trap, it was a side by side, so he was impressed on that gun, so I bought this one, oh well. I think it will be fine once I get that replaced with the new one.

357MAGNOLE

Send me the info and costs of that locking block you are talking about.

I have the same gun purchased in 2004, my parents gave it to me. So it isn't going anywhere. BTW I'm 3K rounds into it and never had a single issue. I have shot probably 40 3" loads as well but that's it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

darn2ten

Yeah, they're not all bad. I bought a 24" camo maxi mag back in 2004. Shot MANY 3 and 3 1/2" shells through it. Killed a lot of birds with it and it never failed me. I sold it about 5 years ago and it's still going strong.