turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

MagBlend 4,5,7 Opinions

Started by Spyder, March 13, 2016, 10:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyder

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Mag Blend 4,5,7?

I went to the store yesterday, asked for 5,6,7 and the guy gave me 4,5,7. I was a dummy and didn't pay much attention to the box. Didn't notice until I got home. Just trying to decided to try an exchange of just shoot them.

I changed chokes this year, just got a Rob Roberts .655 for my SBE11. I talked to Rob about the 5,6,7 and was going to give them a whirl. I don't have any experience with either loads, have always shot Winchester. I just know for the money, I want to make the best decision I can. Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozarks Hillbilly

I wasn't aware Hevi-13 offered a 4,5,7 combo.

deadbuck

Yes, in catalogs I see the 4x5x7 and the 5x6x7 combos offered. My son shoots the 5x6x7 combo in his SBE 2 with a Rhino 660. It kills on both ends. Serious recoil. But it kills turkeys.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

They are this year.  Curious to hear what numbers you get.

Spyder

Hopefully someone will have some info, I read  an old post that said the pattern wasn't as dense, if that's the case I would like to try to exchange them. Kind of unsure what to do with them. I guess I should pay more attention

jed clampett

Contact Clark (allaboutshooting) he has some info on these..he has a website

Hooksfan

They should be fine. I have shot them in my gun and the kids youth 20 for the past two years and they have killed turkeys just fine.
Only problem I have noticed us those #7 shots are harder to find in the breast and I have found more than a couple with my teeth.  I'm switching back to Longbeards #5 for that reason andc that reason only.

duxrus

Until you shoot them yourself out of your gun you won't know. Every gun tends to shoot slightly different than another even if someone has your exact setup. I myself didn't like the blend compared to straight 6's. Both patterns were better than what I had been using but the blend had holes in the pattern more so than the 6's

Spyder

Quote from: duxrus on March 13, 2016, 03:29:39 PM
Until you shoot them yourself out of your gun you won't know. Every gun tends to shoot slightly different than another even if someone has your exact setup. I myself didn't like the blend compared to straight 6's. Both patterns were better than what I had been using but the blend had holes in the pattern more so than the 6's

Yeah, I understand that, just looking to see if there is a common thread between folks that have tried both.

turkeywhisperer935

I wasn't aware of that combo either and have shot magblends for years. I know the 5,6,7 blend shoots great and recoil to me isn't as bad as other loads and I shoot a mossberg for what that tells you.

Phire Phite

My M3500 shoots the 3.5" Magblends great with a Sumtoy.  Wasn't aware there were two.  I'll have to check mine and see what they are.

chow hound

The blends don't make any sense to me.  If the concept is that the smaller shot size is supposed to fill in the pattern at longer ranges, why not use all #7's.  The max range you should shoot at would be the range you think #7's are effective at.  What purpose is there to have larger shot mixed in? 

TauntoHawk

Quote from: chow hound on March 14, 2016, 12:19:38 AM
The blends don't make any sense to me.  If the concept is that the smaller shot size is supposed to fill in the pattern at longer ranges, why not use all #7's.  The max range you should shoot at would be the range you think #7's are effective at.  What purpose is there to have larger shot mixed in?

marketing
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

chcltlabz

If these were made by Federal, everyone would think they were the greatest thing ever offered, but because they're made by Hevishot, they're automatically junk.

I've been shooting the Mag blends since they came out because they pattern the best out of my gun.  They pattern better than the straight 6's.  The 7's had higher numbers, but not as even a pattern, and I wasn't pleased with the performance of the 7's on live birds.

I could care less what's printed on the outside.  I shoot what patterns best, and it was Mag Blend.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

chow hound

If you weren't happy with #7 performance on live birds, then shouldn't you ignore every #7 hole in the paper when evaluating your pattern?