OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

One shotgun

Started by jpen, March 12, 2016, 07:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Uncle Sam uses the 500...
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Gumby

As above stated, if on a real tight budget try the Mossberg Maverick. Cheap and good.

owlhoot

Quote from: Bowguy on March 13, 2016, 05:15:56 AM
I would say the 870 is s great gun. Stood the test of time n than some. I have a ton of remingtons, love em all. That being said the Mossberg as much as I hate to say it is a better all around gun wity the overbored barrel so you don't deform shot on the shot, forcing cones lengthened to help w same, and the variability to shoot 3-1/2" shells well. Many guns can't do what the Mossberg does because of its features. Remington in general makes a more quality price but one gun my money goes to Mossberg
Correct me if i am wrong. hey it has happened  ;D
But how does a overbored barrel shoot slugs? Maybe i missed something?

Double B

You can't shoot slugs in an 835 barrel......they are so marked or at least mine is.
Followed by buzzards

Longshanks

Buy a Rem 870 26" bbl with rem-choke replaceable chokes and you will not need another gun. A couple of different chokes for duck hunting and turkey hunting is all you will need. $300 dollar gun and basically repair free for life.

Izzyjoe

Toss a coin, the 870 and the mossberg are both very good shotguns, both have different features. I would go to a gunshop, or Walmart and handle both and see which you like best. I'm a fan of both, and own several of both, and I will say there's nothing like an older wingmaster, the mossberg has stood the test of time as well. I've noticed in all my years that shotguns usually get rode very hard, and put up wet, the average person doesn't take very good care of them, so you can say that 870's and 500's have held up well,and will be around a long time!

Snoodsniper

BPS would be my choice. It's just a great all around gun.

wvmntnhick

One gun to do it all? I'd be looking into the Mossberg 500 field combo. 3" is enough for any bird you'll ever shoot and the rifled slug barrel is no slouch. That's where I'd be looking. If that's too much over your budget, I'd just look into a the standard 500 field grade and get a slug barrel when things free up a bit.

taylorjones20

If you decide to get an 870, I would try to find one pre-2010.  The quality is much better on those guns compared to the newer ones...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

stinkpickle

Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 15, 2016, 09:39:50 AM
If you decide to get an 870, I would try to find one pre-2010.  The quality is much better on those guns compared to the newer ones...

Agreed.  Remington quality has slipped in recent years, but the 870 is still decent.  A feller should get by just fine with an 870 or Mossy 500.

stinkpickle

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 15, 2016, 08:59:14 AM
...I'd be looking into the Mossberg 500 field combo...

That combo is a great value already and can sometimes be found sale priced, as well.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 15, 2016, 10:15:02 AM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 15, 2016, 08:59:14 AM
...I'd be looking into the Mossberg 500 field combo...

That combo is a great value already and can sometimes be found sale priced, as well.

Yes it can. The LGS just got a used one the other day. I was considering it to keep at the camp in case someone shows up and needs a gun. My uncle comes every year to bow hunt and ends up wanting to squirrel hunt. It'll also keep me from having to lug one there when I load the dogs and head that way.

turkey buster

omegafoo

If I'm looking cheap, an 870. If I'm dropping the coin for higher quality, a Benelli SBE2 or Super Vinci. I own both the 870 and SBE2 and both have taken their share of ducks and turkeys. The Benelli POI and POA is dead on. The Remington is WAY off. It was amazing I could hit a duck with it and makes sense why some days I could shoot a bird one direction but not the other! Both have unlimited aftermarket options.

owlhoot

Quote from: omegafoo on March 15, 2016, 07:16:48 PM
If I'm looking cheap, an 870. If I'm dropping the coin for higher quality, a Benelli SBE2 or Super Vinci. I own both the 870 and SBE2 and both have taken their share of ducks and turkeys. The Benelli POI and POA is dead on. The Remington is WAY off. It was amazing I could hit a duck with it and makes sense why some days I could shoot a bird one direction but not the other! Both have unlimited aftermarket options.
Shoot the birdy in the middle , that way it works in both directions   :bike2: