OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Does anybody hunt strictly with a slate call?

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 12, 2016, 05:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

For the life of me, I cannot get a consistent tone/cadence/really just calling with a mouth call. I am thinking  my slate call is going to be my best bet.

Does anybody hunt strictly with a slate call and have success?

Planner

I love my slate call and I find it's probably the easiest call to use. Very versatile and works in a number of situations. I will use it as a locator, but I find more often than not I start with a glass call to get louder sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

I don't use one strictly but about 75% of time its by far my favorite and go to call have bunch of different ones and have killed more birds than I can recall with one. I wouldn't give up on mouth call or any other you may not think your that good but record yourself you might be surprised. Just keep practicing its the only way to get better year after year you'll improve if you stick with it take any opportunity to cal back and forth with hens, You don't have to be perfect hens sound all kinds different ways

terp

I use primarily slate and mouth calls.  I am very confident in my slate calls though.  The advantages of the mouth call is less movement and it works better when it is wet.  Just remember to put the call down before he gets there. 

mikejd

I use mouth calls alot and am very confident in them however I have a few slates that i will never be without and use them every day.

Greg Massey

Slates and box calls for me..i use a mouth call very little...just having one slate with different type strikers can make a lot of differ sounds on a slate..

PALongspur

If that's what you're confident in, that's what needs to be in your hands in the woods!

Cleveland48

I use slate and box. I cannot use a mouth call for the life of me. Well actually it's a slate, aluminum, and a glass ones. I carry many slates.

Dtrkyman

I primarily use a mouth call, but a slate is my second choice, cutting on it is a good locator and it is really good for sweet talking!

Tennessee Lead

I can use a mouth call but gag really easy
So I use pot calls 90-95% of the time

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

Cottonmouth

I got in a rut for about 10 yrs using nothing but a slate. Mainly purring and clucking.  Killed a pile of turkeys doing it. Now i use a mouth call along with my slates and im about to get into running scratch boxes.

TauntoHawk

Pot calls, box, mouth call, scratch box use it all, next I need to get a trumpet call

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowguy

If you're referring to slate meaning pots as some of you certainly can. Slate as the actual surface though will give you some problems at some times being an only call. Any type moisture will hurt you, including humidity. If you have but one call n nature renders it useless what would you do?
Now it seems being you're a newer caller one year or so on a mouth call prob isn't enough to be totally proficient with them. You woulda had more luck had you practiced all year but a month or so before 2 seasons isn't enough time if that's all it is.
Not trying to offend just explaining mouth calls take time n lots of practice so don't comsider yourself below average in the learning curve. Practice on the way to work, breaks, every day in small increments. No need to cram before the test in a sense. Learn yelps n clucks, start there youd at least have a second emergency call n most other sounds will come in time

WisTurk

Quote from: Cleveland48 on March 12, 2016, 09:00:21 PM
I use slate and box. I cannot use a mouth call for the life of me. Well actually it's a slate, aluminum, and a glass ones. I carry many slates.

I'm in the exact same boat as you.  I use my glass/slate pot calls about 90% of the time and box call the other 10%.  Can't get around my gag reflex to use a mouth call and I've tried everything to combat that.  Oh well I use my other calls just fine.