OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lost a good friend (long read)

Started by wvmntnhick, March 12, 2016, 04:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Been trying to put this up for a couple days but haven't been able to get it on here without getting choked up. I'd like to start this off by saying, I'm not doing this for people to feel sorry about the situation. If you're going to be replying with messages of "sorrow for the loss", I'd rather you not reply or simply stop reading right now. I'm not sorry about it at all. So, here goes:

My dads parents both died when I was in the 6th grade. Within 7 days I'd lost both of my grandparents that I'd lived next to my entire life up to that point. I was young obviously (still young by the standards of many) and we knew grandad was dying. He'd had cancer for a while along with several strokes. He'd not said a word for some time as he'd been rendered speechless by the recent series of strokes. While awaiting his time to pass, my grandmother died 7 days prior. The stress of living without him brought her down and it really all worked out for the best. She didn't want to be without him. He was the first person she'd ever dated. There were 12 years between them. My grandfather was a neighbor to her growing up and would babysit her and her siblings at times. He'd often told her mother that when she was old enough, he was going to marry her. If nothing else, he was a man of his word. Regardless, they both passed and left the family kind of thinking about what the next move was.

Fast forward almost a year to the day:
While in the seventh grade, I'd taken a part time job at a full service gas station working for the grand sum of $2 an hour. Child labor laws weren't exactly an issue in those days and I was thankful for the opportunity to make a few dollars. It afforded me the opportunity to earn enough money to buy my first gun and my first truck. Anyway, there was an older gentleman that would come into the place almost every Saturday and Sunday. He was a loud fella that seemed a bit strange by my standards and he kind of bugged me at first. He inteoduced himself as Harold as I pumped his gas and he began to fire off random questions inquiring about myself and my past. Kind of felt a bit creepy but I answered him and thought him to be an okay fella at the time. Strange, but okay.

Few weeks go by and Harold continues to come to the store. He'd always get the same stuff. $5-$10 in gas, a soda and a pouch of Levi Garrett tobacco. It was almost like he couldn't pass the place without stopping for those items. I'd pump the gas, take his money, he'd meet me inside and get the rest of his thing, grab his change, exchange a few words and leave. One day he stopped in to get gas, gave me the money and as I turned to hold the door open for him, be sped out of the lot. I'd held onto his change until the next weekend as I was certain he didn't mean to leave me with a $10 tip. He returned the following week, got $10 in gas and gave me a $50. Before I could return with the change, he was gone. The following week, the same occurred only this time he handed me a $100 bill. I'd told him that he needed to wait until I came back, as he'd stopped coming into the store, and I'd give him his change back. He said "Sure thing" and sped out of the lot as soon as I got to the door. He'd never take his money back and I couldn't figure out why.

Harold returned to the store later that evening as we were about to close. He told me to call my parents and tell them that he would take me home. I remember clalling my father and telling him to get here quickly as I was a bit scared to ride with the guy. Once I'd told my father who he was, he laughed and told me not to worry as Harold and my grandfather were apparently good drinking buddies from years past. Still a bit paranoid, I jumped into the truck and he took me home. He got out and introduced himself to my mother who'd never met the man while he proceeded to tell stories of how he knew grandad while dad just laughed along and added to them. From that day forward until I graduated high school, Harold would Come over every Saturday or Sunday and we'd go for a ride looking for deer or whatever else. He'd take me fishing, hunting and all the things that a decent grandfather should do for their grandkids. He bought my lifetime hunting, trapping, fishing and trout stamp before I was of age to even require a license. Occasionally, he'd show up at the door with a long box that held a gun inside. He sparked my love for guns before I knew what had happened. I learned quickly not to mention any kind of items while in his presence lest it show up unannounced. Harold was basically my grandfather for quite some time.

High school passed, college started and I moved away. Ended up taking a full time job while in school and my free time all but disappeared. I'd still go see Harold when I'd come home every so often and I'd go hang out with him on Sunday before deer season would open. For Christmas I'd slip a case of Levi Garrett and a 6-pack of Pepsi into his truck as I'd leave because he'd never take it face to face. He was a proud man and would refuse my help at every angle. To take a gift from me would have been absurd. Several years back, Harold got cancer in his left hand. They ended up removing it and gave him a hook. Harold learned to shoot with that hook as it was his dominant hand. He didn't let it get him down one bit. Just said that God had a plan for his hand and laughed about it.

Fast forward some more:
Several years had gone by. I'd gotten married, moved away and had a couple kids. I'd call Harold periodically and would still go see him a few times each year when I got the chance. We'd talk about the good times we had when I was younger and he'd always ask how the hunting was going. We'd talk a bit and when the conversation would end, I'd always wish I were back home.

I'd stopped to see Harold last year right before deer season opened. He had a bandage on his other hand. I knew what was going on. He down played the severity of the situation. I took my wife with me to see him while we were home for Christmas break. We all laughed and he tormented me with my wife present. He really enjoyed that. We hugged as I left and at the time I didn't realize how special that hug would be. I'd talked to Harold a few more times since the. Over the phone but that was the last time I'd seen him. He died last Monday and even now, it hurts to actually put it in words. As I currently wipe the tears from my face I know that they're not tears of sorrow. Just a way of telling him thanks for everything he'd ever done for me growing up.

In short, thank you Harold. I'm a better man for having you as a great friend growing up. I miss you very much and we'll meet again soon enough. Save a few deer for me.

Herb McClure

No I don't feel sorry for your loss, but am thankful you enjoyed him for so many years. I too had a great friend when I was young and he introduced me to the real world of wildlife and the outdoors. I can correlate to the tobacco, soft-drinks and the scouting trips.     
Thanks for posting your great friendship story, and like you; looking forward to being with my old friend once again.
herb mcclure

SteelerFan

KYFrid

I agree. Great story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Foolery

You were lucky to have him, he sounds like a great man.

SS Calls

Thanks for sharing. You were very blessed to have Harold in your life.

chatterbox

That was a great read, and thanks for sharing.
You gave him a great epitaph, and I am sure he is smiling down on you.

mudfeather

May we be encouraged to fill a void that sometimes is left without asking...Thx!!

tomstopper

Quote from: chatterbox on March 12, 2016, 07:44:39 AM
That was a great read, and thanks for sharing.
You gave him a great epitaph, and I am sure he is smiling down on you.
:agreed: Sounds like a great man

OldSchool

People like Harold are few and far between in this world, in my experience. I'm glad you guys were able to share a special friendship and the great times you had together. That's a beautiful thing.  :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Spitten and drummen

Great read. That was a great thing Harold did for you. He was a godsend and will be with you forever. There are not many like him left.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TrackeySauresRex

Rest in peace Harold. It was great to have him in your life.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened! - Dr Seuss
:mycross:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

TN Beard Buster

Awesome story!! Relish the memories and praise God for the opportunity to be with him in the end! Also just think, Harold and your grandad both will be with you then!! Thanks for sharing!!!

GobbleNut

Wonderful story!  Thanks for taking the time to write it and share it with us!

Cottonmouth

I lost a good friend and hunting buddy about 2 months ago. He was a master turkey hunter and could tell stories like nobody else in the world. I was just as content sitting on the porch talking as any hunt we made. It was tough on me because he kinda got quiet and kept to himself when the cancer set in. The last 2 years were tough on him, but im glad he is not suffering anymore. Ill be glad when i can bring myself to watching old turkey videos we shot from back in the day. I cant do it right now.