turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 Supermag 20" Barrell Choke Recomendations

Started by Will_price, March 11, 2016, 11:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_price

I just bought one and wondering what you guys have found to be the best turkey choke for that gun. Thanks
Member of The Tenth, since 2005

nyhunter

Will_price

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Will_price on March 11, 2016, 11:23:16 AM
I just bought one and wondering what you guys have found to be the best turkey choke for that gun. Thanks

Since you're shooting 3.5" WLB shells, I'd recommend the Wright's #2 with a .660 exit diameter. It has a long parallel section, is non-ported and has a crowned muzzle. If you ever decide to shoot tungsten-based shot, it's rated for that as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Longshanks

Will_price

Longshanks

Quote from: Will_price on March 11, 2016, 05:53:10 PM
It comes stock on that option.

Oh ok, just curious. I bought a 21" from Midway.
Shooting 215-225 with Win LB 3" 6's./ Hevi 13 Choke .662. Shot some crazy tight patterns with LB 3" 5's. Not sure what that was about. Would have to put a scope on the gun to have shot those.

*used to be able to show pics on here with my image resize app but it doesn't work anymore.

nyhunter

A .660- .665 will do really good with the L.B #5 .  I got my best pattern from a kicks gobblin thunder .660 . But jelly head .660 and Indian creek .665 did real good to.

bowbird87

Kicks .655 put up some awesome numbers out of the short barrel Remington.

tha bugman

I got a SuperMag at my gunsmith now.  It had a 26" barrel, cutting it to a 21" and putting a scope on it....can't wait to send some down range and see how it goes.

DawgsFan1

We're not shooting the same shell but for what it's worth I have an 870 with 20" barrel and I'm using a Hevi-13 .662 choke in mine. Getting 240+ at 40 yards with 3" WLB #6.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

nhfisherman

Allaboutshooting - You said since he is shooting 3 1/2". What if someone was thinking of shooting 3" WLB's or even Federal Premium. I am getting a Remington SPS Shurshot 12 ga supermag and am also looking for a good choke/load combination.

Thank you.

Philippe

With that gun... if you search the boards... The Jellyhead .660 or .665 paired with the Winchester Longbeards shells is the ticket. I've gotten other 870's to patter those same shells very well with the SSX and Sumtoy chokes as well. Its going to boil down to what you want to do with the gun.

nhfisherman

Id like a nice consistent pattern as far as I can get it. I don't expect to shoot 3 1/2" shells as I prefer to call the birds in close. But it would be good to know with a 3" that I could take a good 40-50 yd shot and not worry much.

So you would recommend the Jellyhead over the SSX and Sumtoy?

FXDWG

I shoot a .660 Rhino choke and it performs well. I also have a cheap Tru glow that is great