OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good quality strikers

Started by hotrod3h, March 10, 2016, 07:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod3h

I'm way late to the route of going custom with all my calls. I've read a lot lately and appreciate everyone that's posted opinions. I've reached out to a few people about trying to get some of their strickers. What are some you'd suggest in case I might have missed something. Pretty is always nice but easy of use on variety of calls would be a better fit.

davisd9

In my vest I have hickory, cedar, snakewood with Osage top, bubinga, yellowheart, and a carbon tipped. 3 are lights out, one is a fowler, one is a cheap two piece, one is from Mr. Loftis. Other great all around woods are Purpleheart, Jatoba, monkey wood, and persimmon. Good luck.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Kwgoke

I talked to Pappy a few weeks ago and the ones he suggested to me were Dymondwood, Snakewood, Black Locust, and Persimmon. Those will definitely get you going. I might also add Purpleheart, Ipe, and Hickory are good on a number of my pots. For makers, I have some Brad Roberts and Fowler strikers that are great and a Lonzo Dymondwood that runs anything. I'm anxiously waiting on my strikers from Pappy but he has been great to deal with and will certainly take care of you!

Hankyorke

I carry black locust, Dymondwood x 2, Yellowheart, cedar, & tulipwood 1-piece and hickory and Dymondwood 2-piece.
It's a mix of makers (Torman, Fowler, cox, etc...), if I had to pick one it'd be Harold Fowler.

paboxcall

Check out West Augusta here on OG, he flat out makes awesome strikers, best in class.

Dymondwood, osage, maple, purpeheart, black walnut and hickory are my favorites.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

dreis3

I'd send ya a few for free, but I strongly dislike your avatar  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:  I'm obviously a UNC fan  :icon_thumright:

My favorites are: hickory, purpleheart, dymondwood, tulipwood, bloodwood, and snakewood...
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

SteelerFan

Quote from: paboxcall on March 10, 2016, 07:55:32 PM
Check out West Augusta here on OG, he flat out makes awesome strikers, best in class.

Dymondwood, osage, maple, purpeheart, black walnut and hickory are my favorites.
Steve's black locust is also a great all purpose striker. It's ALWAYS in my vest.

New Yorker

Hickory
Walnut
Purple heart
Gabon Ebony - drastically lowers the pictch of a call
Snake wood - Plays well on most surfaces but is not the best for each surface
Wenge
Holley
Yellow heart
Osage

Spitten and drummen

bill lyman , Harold fowler , derrick stuckey and pappy make some of the finest best sounding strikers you can find imo.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

pappy

Quote from: New Yorker on March 11, 2016, 12:19:08 AM
Hickory
Walnut
Purple heart
Gabon Ebony - drastically lowers the pictch of a call
Snake wood - Plays well on most surfaces but is not the best for each surface
Wenge
Holley
Yellow heart
Osage
don't take snakewood off of your list, I find it plays well on everything I have, it lowers the pitch somewhat, but just by changing pressure it picks it up too...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

New Yorker

don't take snakewood off of your list, I find it plays well on everything I have, it lowers the pitch somewhat, but just by changing pressure it picks it up too...
[/quote]

Snakewood is on my list...I just don't want to give people the impression that it's the best striker out there for every call for the sake of selling them to make money.... That's not the case. As I clearly said, it plays well on most surfaces, but is NOT the best striker for every call. Calls have their own personality, my aluminum will sound and play differently than yours. So a striker that sounds best on your call probably wont sound the best on someone else's.

Buzzkiller

African Blackwood is a good one to me