OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Short barreled m2, what now?

Started by Borden811, March 10, 2016, 12:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 10, 2016, 08:13:48 PM
Quote from: Borden811 on March 10, 2016, 08:07:49 PM
Clark,

I'll put a few pics up tomorrow. There weren't a lot of gaps, but there were some areas with clusters of a lot of pellets together. Still had good coverage though for the most part. Found a truglo bone collector choke on eBay, it's on the way!
Congratulations! They are the "collector's items" of the next few years.

Thanks,
Clark
Would that be the same chokes you sell on your sight, ClarK?? :)

Borden811

Here are a couple pics. First one is the Indian Creek with the 3" 4s, second one is the sumtoy with the mag blends. Both are more then huntable, but I'd like to do better :)

catclr

Quote from: Borden811 on March 13, 2016, 11:15:57 AM
Here are a couple pics. First one is the Indian Creek with the 3" 4s, second one is the sumtoy with the mag blends. Both are more then huntable, but I'd like to do better :)

I would try some shells using #5 or #6 shot.  Not sure why your using #4 for head shot. That's more for body shots. I shot the LB with Sumtoy out of Nova and does 25-30 head-neck kill area.

allaboutshooting

I see what you mean about the patterns. They look irregular but I don't see what appear to be 2" gaps in them. I think the "secret" will the choke that has a long parallel section and no internal wad stoppers. I'll be interested to see how that BC choke you found on ebay works for you.

I'd make sure that choke is very clean for your first shot with it and then I would not clean it between shots. I'd also "deep clean" bore of your M2 prior to the patterning session. My collection of Benellis are all different in what they like.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Borden811

I don't know a single person that uses 4s for body shots, or for that matter would even take a body shot on a turkey. I'm using them because I like the energy they carry, ave because i have a large quantity of them on hand. Also, the mag blends have 5, 6, and 7 shot in them. My SBE II will easily put 25-30 #4s in the head and neck of a gobbler target, but it has a 26" barrel and shoots 3.5 inch shells. Clark, when the BC coke and the RR choke get here I'll test them both and report back.

lunghit

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 13, 2016, 01:34:14 PM
I see what you mean about the patterns. They look irregular but I don't see what appear to be 2" gaps in them. I think the "secret" will the choke that has a long parallel section and no internal wad stoppers. I'll be interested to see how that BC choke you found on ebay works for you.

I'd make sure that choke is very clean for your first shot with it and then I would not clean it between shots. I'd also "deep clean" bore of your M2 prior to the patterning session. My collection of Benellis are all different in what they like.

Thanks,
Clark
Clark you don't clean between shots? I always did but if there is no benefit I will skip that part of the process.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

SumToy

with our 650 you need 6's or hv13 7's  the mags work but I have never been one to put them on paper.   Now if you want 4s we need to goo 660 to 665
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Borden811

William,
I used the .650 Sumtoy I got from you in my SBE II last year with the Longbeard 4s, 5s, and 6s. It shot great patterns with all three loads. I was hoping for the same with this m2 and the 4s. I'll post a link to those patterns below. What numbers do you think I could realistically expect out of a 21" barreled m2 with the 3" Longbeard 4s at 40 yards and one of your chokes in the 660-665 range?

cuppednlocked

I put ~180 LB #6 in a 10" circle at 40 with the kicks choke.

SumToy

Quote from: Borden811 on March 13, 2016, 04:55:29 PM
William,
I used the .650 Sumtoy I got from you in my SBE II last year with the Longbeard 4s, 5s, and 6s. It shot great patterns with all three loads. I was hoping for the same with this m2 and the 4s. I'll post a link to those patterns below. What numbers do you think I could realistically expect out of a 21" barreled m2 with the 3" Longbeard 4s at 40 yards and one of your chokes in the 660-665 range?

I have not shot the 4s and counted them.  I know what guys are telling.   I got a guy with 660 and he was just playing around and  got 70 at 60 yards with 31/2.    Now the 6s should go 200 to 220. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Chesterfield

Borden -  Have you had an opportunity to pattern the Tru glo choke yet in your setup?  Looking forward to the results.

CrustyRusty

I actually have tried both the turkey and coyote hevichokes in my benellis. They produce almost identical numbers. I wished I had tried turkey loads thru my coyote choke before I had bought the turkey choke because I would have saved the money.

Quote from: owlhoot on March 10, 2016, 04:43:22 PM
have you tried the standard hevi- tube ? Not the coyote one.
3" magblends in the 200's with old sbe, 26" barrel though.
Short 21" barrel 870's like them too.

Borden811

I haven't had a chance to make it to the range again yet. Should make it Wednesday of this week. I have the Truglo and Roberts chokes, and longbeards in 4, 5, 6 shot, and the blends to try. I shot the Hevi13 turkey and coyote chokes in my SBE  II, and both shot identical patterns. Kept the coyote, sold the turkey.

owlhoot

Quote from: Borden811 on March 20, 2016, 11:19:50 AM
I haven't had a chance to make it to the range again yet. Should make it Wednesday of this week. I have the Truglo and Roberts chokes, and longbeards in 4, 5, 6 shot, and the blends to try. I shot the Hevi13 turkey and coyote chokes in my SBE  II, and both shot identical patterns. Kept the coyote, sold the turkey.
dang, had no idea they were the same, or at least shot the same.  ???

Borden811

Ok, made it to the range for a quick session. The Truglo bone collector choke wasn't very impressive. It shot the LB 4s in the 70s, 5s in the 120s and 6s in the 150s. It shot the mag blends in the 130s. Th RR shot the mag blends in the 160s, the longbeard 4s in the 80s, the 5s in the 120s and the 6s in the 170s. All of those patterns were nice an even, just not as dense as I was looking for. I shot the sumtoy with the LB 6s right at 200-205, and the LB 5s at 145-150. The Indian creek shot the LB 6s at 215-220, and the 5s at 160-165. The 6s were so tight at 40 out of both chokes it was literally a 10" circle with scattered pellets outside it. The 5s were a tad more even out of the I.C. So, I'm settling on the I.C. With the 3" 5s for now. 5s in the 160s(out of a dirty gun, which seems to shoot a little better squeaky clean) seems good for a short barreled benelli. If anyone is interested in some 3" #4 Longbeards, I'll have some for sale ;). I'll get some pics up in the pattern section when I get a chance today or tomorrow.