turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Short barreled m2, what now?

Started by Borden811, March 10, 2016, 12:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

So, over the past 2 days, I've burned through roughly 70-80 rounds of 3" #4 Longbeards 3" and magnum blends in my m2 with a 21" barrel. I tried 7 different chokes, all at a lasered 40 yards. I'll post the 3 shot average numbers of the choke/shell combos below that performed best(either clean or dirty) since posting pics, and every pattern number would be labor intensive. The barrel was deep cleaned prior to shooting, and the chokes were tested both with a clean and dirty barrel. Weather was between 60-70 degrees, with a slight breeze both days.

Longbeard 3" #4:

Indian Creek .665  126

Sumtoy .650   115

Wrights no. 3  104

Kicks GT .655   102

Pure Gold .670   100

Jellyhead .660   93

Hevi 13 Dead Coyote  90

Hevi 13 3" Magnum Blend

Sumtoy .650   156

Indian Creek .665   145

Hevi 13 Dead Coyote   142

Wrights no.3   120

Pure Gold .670  118

Jellyhead .660   117

Kicks GT .655   79

The LB #4s out if the I.C. I can live with, as 130+ was my goal. However, I'm pretty duds appointed with the Mag Blends. I've got a Rob Roberts Final Strut .655 on the way to try. Any other suggestions? Especially for the mag blends?

Longshanks

Shoot Indian Creek .665 and try Hevi 13 7's as well.

Borden811

I did shoot the I.C. .655. I have a large supply of both the mag blends and the LB #4s, so those are what I'm working with. Need to find a choke that will put up decent numbers with the mag blends, and would like to pick up about 15-20 more pellets withe 4s.

dirt road ninja

Looking at all your numbers along with the number of chokes you've tried. I'm going to say you are probably looking at about the best she is going to do with the ammo you are using regardless of what choke is in there. Some barrels just won't throw up big numbers. Your shoulder must be about ready to fall off.

the Ward

Borden, the best #s with the magblend 3" shells I got was with the Sumtoy .650 in my Vinci, but it has a 28" barrel. Did around 200-220s with it. I also have a Rob Roberts .655 I also tried, it did around the 160s to 170s range. I also tried a couple of the Longbeard 4s out of a Kicks .665 and if I remember right it turned #s in the  120 range, but the patterns were not very even, which i thought was odd as that choke puts up very even patterns with other shells I have run thru it but it has never put up as big #s as my other chokes. Haven't tried those shells in my other chokes though. Could it be the lot #s of the shells maybe? 

mrclif

Been having issues with short barrel benelli's myself. Ive shot probably 20 different choke combos with tss and long beards. Best patterns have come with factory full flush choke with LB's and TSS. Not getting the numbers I was getting with longer barrel Benelli's but I'm experimenting with loads to try to bring numbers up but looking like its gonna be a summer project. I'm shooting a 18.5" vinci and my buds shooting a 18.5" m2 both will kill turkeys but pellet count in the 10" is less than normally expect. I was 4 for 4 with the vinci lastyear jus tryn to improve if possible.

BrowningGuy88

I'm struggling with numbers right now in a 18.5" pump myself. I think it is just difficult with short barrels sometimes. You can kill turkeys with those numbers though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borden811

Thanks for the info guys. I have a SBE II that's shoots great with a variety of those chokes I tried in the m2, and several different loads. It has a 26" barrel. Always wanted a short light gun, and now I have it. Just need to find the magic combo! I was aware of different lot #s with the Hevi 13#7 shells. Didn't know if the mag blends had the same issues or not. Anyone know? I have 2 cases of them, all the same lot #s.

mrclif

It totally shocks me how well factory full does in mine honesty suggest you try in yours. The long beard #5 did great at 40, TSS 1oz of 9 and 1oz of 8s is around 250 in the 10 but has a solid 20 with factory choke also. Plenty to kill a turkey just use to better numbers with tss.

Swather

Those heavier loads may not be the best option in that gun.

It is cheaper to try alternate ammo than alternate chokes.  You might try shooting some Winchester Double X loads (successor to Supreme) or some Super X.  The point would be to see if plated lead shoots better.

After that, you might consider sending the gun off to get the cones lengthened, the barrel over/back bored, and see what a choke maker like Roberts, SumToy, etc. can do with it.

Or skip the gunsmith work and acquire a different gun.

I know more than one guy that started off with a Benelli, was dissatisfied, sold, downscaled, and now carries a Rem 870 or Mossy pump and throws a better pattern. 

Borden811

It's not going anywhere. And I doubt I'll be getting any gunsmith work done to it. I have 3 benellis, and have set up/patterned 6 more for friends. They all shoot excellent, and all have either 24 or 26 inch barrels. This is the first one I've had trouble with. I'm assuming it's the shorter barrel that causing me a bit if trouble. Cost isn't a big factor, shooting guns and figuring out what makes them shoot the best is almost as much fun as killing turkeys with them. I'll eventually run across a combo that gets me what I want. I might grab a couple boxes of longbeard 5s, just to see what they do.

owlhoot

have you tried the standard hevi- tube ? Not the coyote one.
3" magblends in the 200's with old sbe, 26" barrel though.
Short 21" barrel 870's like them too.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Borden811 on March 10, 2016, 12:40:43 PM
So, over the past 2 days, I've burned through roughly 70-80 rounds of 3" #4 Longbeards 3" and magnum blends in my m2 with a 21" barrel. I tried 7 different chokes, all at a lasered 40 yards. I'll post the 3 shot average numbers of the choke/shell combos below that performed best(either clean or dirty) since posting pics, and every pattern number would be labor intensive. The barrel was deep cleaned prior to shooting, and the chokes were tested both with a clean and dirty barrel. Weather was between 60-70 degrees, with a slight breeze both days.

Longbeard 3" #4:

Indian Creek .665  126

Sumtoy .650   115

Wrights no. 3  104

Kicks GT .655   102

Pure Gold .670   100

Jellyhead .660   93

Hevi 13 Dead Coyote  90

Hevi 13 3" Magnum Blend

Sumtoy .650   156

Indian Creek .665   145

Hevi 13 Dead Coyote   142

Wrights no.3   120

Pure Gold .670  118

Jellyhead .660   117

Kicks GT .655   79

The LB #4s out if the I.C. I can live with, as 130+ was my goal. However, I'm pretty duds appointed with the Mag Blends. I've got a Rob Roberts Final Strut .655 on the way to try. Any other suggestions? Especially for the mag blends?

That's some very good work. As one who does that on almost a daily basis, I really appreciate all that you've done.

I'd be very interested in the "quality" of the patterns with those shells and chokes. I measure quality by looking at the number of 2" gaps in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

If you can find one, I'd really recommend that you try a Bone Collector choke with that gun. It was one of the most neglected chokes, as far as marketing, in the last 20 years. The folks who have them don't often let them go but you may be able to find one.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Borden811

Clark,

I'll put a few pics up tomorrow. There weren't a lot of gaps, but there were some areas with clusters of a lot of pellets together. Still had good coverage though for the most part. Found a truglo bone collector choke on eBay, it's on the way!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Borden811 on March 10, 2016, 08:07:49 PM
Clark,

I'll put a few pics up tomorrow. There weren't a lot of gaps, but there were some areas with clusters of a lot of pellets together. Still had good coverage though for the most part. Found a truglo bone collector choke on eBay, it's on the way!
Congratulations! They are the "collector's items" of the next few years.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."