OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old school 835

Started by Philippe, March 09, 2016, 06:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Picked up a mint condition old school Real Tree camo 835 with a 20-21 inch unported barrel. Going to do some experimenting with this one and make it a dedicated turkey gun for when the hunts get up close and personal. Probably going to stick with LB #4 or 5's and most likely going to begin testing with the classic Star Dot choke and go from there. Sigh...... so many choke choices, I'm thinking something in the .676-683 range will be hot with this gun and shot size...

I'll put up pictures later this week when I get back.

jordanz7935

Sounds like a good one! Gotta be from the early 90s with that camo pattern.

Farmboy27

I thought that the shortest barrel they put on them up till a few years ago was a 24".  An old school realtree 835 should have a 24" barrel if its original. 

Philippe

Quote from: jordanz7935 on March 09, 2016, 07:26:53 PM
Sounds like a good one! Gotta be from the early 90s with that camo pattern.

Yeah, I believe it is what they called Grey Leaf camo from the late 80's.

TallTimberGabriel

I found one of these a couple months back at a pawn shop. Baby shows almost no wear. It's in the original Mossy Oak Treestand.

Farmboy27

The very first 835 models in realtree were in realtree brown.  There were 2 original realtree patterns, brown and grey.  Mossberg never turned out a gun in original realtree grey. 

Philippe

Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 09, 2016, 08:27:50 PM
The very first 835 models in realtree were in realtree brown.  There were 2 original realtree patterns, brown and grey.  Mossberg never turned out a gun in original realtree grey.

This one looks similar to the Mossy Oak Green Leaf

decoykrvr

I had an 835 in the Realtree Green Leaf pattern which I bought in 1989 or 1990. In an effort to eliminate  or mollify the horrible forearm rattle, I fabricated a variety of rubber gaskets and washers of different thickness and designs to no avail.  Although the shotgun produced great patterns w/ a GT tube and was responsible for the demise of several turkeys, it was sold to a friend who didn't mind the weight and rattle.   My 835 came with a 28" barrel and was initially purchased for hunting geese. I looked long and hard for a shorter factory barrel to match the Realtree Green Leaf pattern and was told by Mossberg at that time the short barrels were not available.  I would bet that your gun barrel was cut-down and rethreaded.  I bought two of the 835's and paid $290 each.

Farmboy27

There has never been a realtree green leaf pattern.  Mossy oak yes. 

Philippe

Yep, and I do believe this specific shotgun is in the Realtree Grey pattern.

Tennessee Lead

Awesome pick up.
My Dad is still using his.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

outdoorsmen

How about a pic of the gun. Don't forget about store exclusive guns that get special treatments. And aftermarket camo dipping that anyone can pick about any pattern they want.

paboxcall

Quote from: outdoorsmen on March 10, 2016, 03:38:15 PM
How about a pic of the gun. Don't forget about store exclusive guns that get special treatments. And aftermarket camo dipping that anyone can pick about any pattern they want.

:agreed:
A picture would be helpful for this discussion.  Like to see it!
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Farmboy27

Quote from: outdoorsmen on March 10, 2016, 03:38:15 PM
That is very true! Didn't even think about that :-[

Stickbow98

According to Blue Book of Gun Values, 835 was available in Realtree AP Grey from 1996-1999.
I had one of them in that pattern myself... Good gun, kicked like S.O.B.!!

MODEL 835 ULTI-MAG TURKEY

12 ga., 3 1/2 in. chamber, 6 shot, 24 in. VR ported overbored barrel, Ulti-Full choke tubes, adj. fiber optic sights, synthetic stock with OFM Woodland Camo (all-purpose camo, combo. only with dual comb stock, mfg. 1997-99), Advantage Timber (mfg. 2001-2002), Brown Leaf (disc. 1999), Realtree (mfg. 1993-99), Realtree AP (all purpose grey, mfg. 1996-1999), Realtree Hardwoods (mfg. 2002-disc.), Realtree Xtra Brown (mfg. 2000-2002), Mossy Oak (mfg. 1994-99), Mossy Oak Forest Floor (mfg. 2003 only), Mossy Oak New Break-up (mfg. 2003-2011), Mossy Oak Break-Up Infinity (mfg. 2011-2015), Mossy Oak Obsession (mfg. 2004, reintroduced 2007-2010, 2016), Realtree Hardwoods HD Green (disc. 2012), or Woodlands (mfg. 2000-2011) finish, 7 1/2 lbs. There is pricing information available for purchase for this model. This data is available in the following options:
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"