OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another pattern vote

Started by WNCTracker, March 09, 2016, 05:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Quote from: johnplesh on March 09, 2016, 07:24:27 PM
Seems like the hevi's have it. I like the looks of it to the right of the bull as well. I am surprised at the count though after reading about people's patterns with my same setup. I wonder if the #6 shot would do worse or just the same.

Your circle is not around the densitest part of the pattern so your count is low. The idea is to draw your circle after the shot then adjust your sights so the densitest part of your pattern is at your point of aim.

Gobble!

Quote from: duxrus on March 09, 2016, 07:58:23 PM
Try hevi 6's. My pattern is beyond impressive way past 40 yards . IMO 7's is getting just a bit small.

False. Shot size is a small piece of the puzzle. I use #9s.

Gobble!

Quote from: johnplesh on March 09, 2016, 05:06:37 PM
40 yards
10" / 20"
68 degrees
10-mph wind 20 gusts (left to right)
Hevi 13 3" #7
10" 167
20" 333

Agree with others. Move that pattern to the left and its beautiful. Very even.

WNCTracker

Quote from: Gobble! on March 10, 2016, 07:50:20 AM
Quote from: johnplesh on March 09, 2016, 07:24:27 PM
Seems like the hevi's have it. I like the looks of it to the right of the bull as well. I am surprised at the count though after reading about people's patterns with my same setup. I wonder if the #6 shot would do worse or just the same.

Your circle is not around the densitest part of the pattern so your count is low. The idea is to draw your circle after the shot then adjust your sights so the densitest part of your pattern is at your point of aim.
I use a red dot and the poi with longbeards is dead on the bullseye. When I shot the hevi either I took a bad shot or the poi moved down and right....is there that much change in poi from lead to Hevi or is it more likely just a bad shot?  I ran out of time so I need to take another shot and see where it is the next time.

BowBendr

I believe that I would shoot it again. Shot my 835 yesterday, LB 4's and Hevi 7's shot to the same poa. I had no need to adjust my sights. However, Win. 1 5/8 oz. #6 shot shot 4" left. Go figure, Id check it again.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

tha bugman

+1
Quote from: Happy on March 09, 2016, 05:15:38 PM
Personally I would scooch the hevi 7's a hair left and call it good. To me it seems a little more even and will be a little less tight up close. They are both great patterns tho. Really not a bad choice with either.

WNCTracker

Quote from: BowBendr on March 09, 2016, 08:09:05 PM
The 7's are not too small. Lets not go down that road again...
I will say that 167 in the 10 is really low for 7's. If the pattern was moved up 1-2" and left a couple inches you would be in the mid 200's easily.

3" left is 214

BowBendr

Much better !

tomstopper

deerbasshunter3

For what it is worth, I shot Win LB #6 last year and pattern was great. I tried Win LB #5 and it was several inches to the right of the #6. I think, for whatever reason, any slight variation in the shell (shot size, shell length, etc...) makes a difference. Needless to say, I went with the #6.

stringtown

where did you get that pattering target?  mine isn't nearly as nice...

WNCTracker

I made it using an uploaded picture by van Helden game calls in the DIY section.

It's life size with 10 and 20 circles
Go to the "2016 contest" sub forum and go to Purrpetrators team and see the "patterning target" post. I uploaded a pdf there. Just needs printed 9 pages taped together. Little time consuming but cheap.  Just be sure your printer settings are set to poster

owlhoot

Hevi 7's great even pattern.
Energy pretty much same .
Too add longbeard six pattern. In the 10 has a high count but top of it is much stronger than the lower half . To me anyway if you hit the head and neck in lower half you have a less effective density than your count really shows . I like to divide the 10" into 4 areas and check for even counts in those sections. Why? I don't believe I can use a smaller area than the 10" in a hunting situation at 40 yards on a target that can move in a second. His head can be anywhere in that 10" .
Just some thoughts.

snapper1982

You guys do realize it is possible that the 10-20mph wind from left to right caused his hevi 7s to hit to the right. Maybe his sight does not need moved at all.

owlhoot

Quote from: snapper1982 on March 15, 2016, 02:21:54 PM
You guys do realize it is possible that the 10-20mph wind from left to right caused his hevi 7s to hit to the right. Maybe his sight does not need moved at all.
:TooFunny: Some one actually read the posts and was thinking!
I jus looked at he pictures.