turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

We'll see how he does

Started by Farmboy27, March 09, 2016, 04:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

My son has decided he has out grown his 20 gauge for turkeys(he's only 9 years old and weights 60 pounds soaking wet!).  Last year I gave him my super x2 nwtf and told him it was his to use whenever he thought he was ready.  Well guess what, he said he's ready!!  I  guess we'll find out this evening when he tries it out with turkey loads!  I tried to tell him to wait a few more years but he says he can handle it and he's ready.  He isn't recoil sensitive by any means (he has used a 270 for deer since he was 6) so I guess its his call. We'll find out shortly!

dirt road ninja

I was allowed to shoot hard recoiling rifles at a young age and it took years for me to break the flinching habit it caused. I don't let my kids shoot anything I think might give them a negative experience. My 12 year old is 180 pounds and still uses the 20 gauge. I'd let him hunt with my 12, but not shoot turkey loads out of it for practice. Just my opinion, as the parent it's your call.

owlhoot

Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 09, 2016, 04:55:46 PM
My son has decided he has out grown his 20 gauge for turkeys(he's only 9 years old and weights 60 pounds soaking wet!).  Last year I gave him my super x2 nwtf and told him it was his to use whenever he thought he was ready.  Well guess what, he said he's ready!!  I  guess we'll find out this evening when he tries it out with turkey loads!  I tried to tell him to wait a few more years but he says he can handle it and he's ready.  He isn't recoil sensitive by any means (he has used a 270 for deer since he was 6) so I guess its his call. We'll find out shortly!
Well switch with him , never to old to enjoy the 20 all over again. :)

Farmboy27

well he shot it with 3.5 mag blends, and loved it!  Shot 3 shots (all were good) and asked if we were done or if he could shoot a couple more!!  I think the kid is tougher than me!!!

Farmboy27

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 09, 2016, 05:03:55 PM
I was allowed to shoot hard recoiling rifles at a young age and it took years for me to break the flinching habit it caused. I don't let my kids shoot anything I think might give them a negative experience. My 12 year old is 180 pounds and still uses the 20 gauge. I'd let him hunt with my 12, but not shoot turkey loads out of it for practice. Just my opinion, as the parent it's your call.
I don't disagree at all.  And if I thought for a second that it would cause a problem I would have been against it.  But I have seen my son shoot deer with a 270 and a 300 mag and when he asks to shoot a bigger gun, then he wants to shoot it!  If its uncomfortable for him, he'll be the first to say it.  If he enjoys it then more power to him!!

owlhoot

just make sure he only shoots 30 yards with it   ;)

Dtrkyman

I do not want to shoot 3 mag blends!   tough kid!

Mike Honcho

I have taught 4 grandsons how to shoot and hunt.  Each was different and had different attitude and response to recoil.

I think that is true of everyone that shoots.  I have a 16 year old that took his first turkey at 9 and has piled them up every year since then....he has never had any problem with recoil and always asked for a 12 gauge when he was shooting a 20. He has grown like a weed and is now 6' tall and 225 lbs....he gets my BPS 10 this year.

I have another grandson 12 years old that is recoil  sensitive....he asks me if a .22 kicks! So he is on the 20 for a while yet.

Sounds like your boy is not very sensitive to recoil.

blueridgegobbler

I had my nephew and wife shooting a 870 compact 20 with a 21 inch barrel I noticed his shooting wasn't what it should have been. I got the idea and got my old special purpose 870 12 with a 21 inch barrel and let them shoot handloaded 2 3/4 1.5 oz loads of 7.5s much better now. Honestly the little 20 is nice to carry but it has a sharp kick for a kid. He loves the 12 now and does much better. I put a hs strut thing on the barrel that's kinda like a bipod so weight isn't an issue for him to hold. Wife likes it a lot better to.

BINK McCARTY

For all you guys who have the 20 and are thinkin about changin' do some research on the 20ga. Federal Heavy Weight #7 load....its puttin' upwards of 180+ pellets in a 10" circle @ 40 and those bad boys are hittin' like Thors hammer!!!! I know alot of guys switching to the 20 because of this very thing....check it out!!!! :z-guntootsmiley: