turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your Preffered Shell

Started by AC HAMMER, March 08, 2016, 01:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC HAMMER

There are a lot of different opinions on what's the best shotgun shell for turkey. I understand that every gun shoots different and you have to pattern your gun with each shell to be able to tell what you should use BUT I just want to know what shells you guys use and how nice of a pattern you get with them.

Greg Massey

years ago i pattern my gun with the federal 3 in 2 oz. 5 lead/copper plated without the flight control wad i still have 6 of these shells left. These shells are like gold...i also have used the winchester supreme in this same load it's a good shell.. i still have 2 boxes of the  old 3 1/2 in number 6 federal without the flight control wad..My backup to the old federal 3 in. 2 oz. 5 now is the federal with the flight control wad..the closes thing i'v found to the old federal is the turkey thug 3 in. number 5 lead ..that you get from WalMart..

northms

wvlimbhanger

Winchester Longbeard 3" with 1 3/4 oz of #5s

bbcoach

The 300325 Hevi-7's.  They put up 300 plus out of my 835.  The 300525 Hevi-7's shoot really well also.

alloutdoors

3" Federal Heavyweight 7's in 20ga. I get 130 in a 10" circle when the temperature is hovering around freezing, hits go up to 170+ as the temperature rises.

cjordan

Gooserbat

Lots of great shells.  Win longbeards #6 or #5, fed HW #7, Hevi #6 all make my short list. Sometimes I have to switch the choke as is the case with the Fed, but all are killers.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

OldSchool

I'm sure they'd be pretty far down on anybody's list of best turkey loads, but I've been using Remington Express 7 1/2's for the past ten or twelve years. I used Winchester Double X magnum 6's for quite a while before that.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

TANK

I like Hevi Blends but chase the first shot with Win Supreme #6's....cheaper that way if I miss!

FL-Boss

anything that is #7 and isn't lead...

Marc

I am still using Hevi-Shot #6's 1 5/8 oz loads.  Just bought some more of them from a waterfowl forum, but will not get them till the end of turkey season...  Still have three left, so some Winchester 1 7/8 oz copper plated #6's will go into the vest.

It is nice to have a load that will roll a bird at 40-50 yards, but honestly, I think that the vast majority of birds I have killed, would have been killed with a modified choke, using el cheapo' Walmart pheasant loads.  I have stretched a couple out to 40 yards, but most have been 30 yards or less...

My issue has not been killin' em when they are in range, my issue is gettin' em' into range.  And nothing like a bird hanging up just of range to frustrate me just enough to want me to make me come back.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

owlhoot

Fed hw 7's   12 and 20  3"

Spitten and drummen

#9 tss 1-5/8 Oz 20ga. That I roll crimp. A Indian Creek. 555 out of my m2 benelli  puts over 3/4 of the shot in a 20 ring and over 300 in the 10 at 40 yards. It is very tight so I have a red dot on my gun. When they are close , it's not much room for error. I have done fine with this set up.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

JK Spurs

I like my turkey well peppered