OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SS Box Call wood reccomendations

Started by SemoRiverRat, March 08, 2016, 11:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SemoRiverRat

I've decided to finally take the plunge and order one of these SS box calls I've been reading so many good things about, what wood combinations from them have you guys tried that you like the most? 
Thanks in advance for the advice!

idratherb

davisd9

My boy has a maple/butternut that is killer and I have a Maple/Spanish Cedar that is killer.  Cannot go wrong with a call from Mr. Al and Josh.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bowguy

I've got a jatoba/poplar that I love. A friend has a purpleheart/butternut that sounds amazing too. As davisd9 said you can't go wrong with them

eddie234

turkey stew

I have many different combos from Al and Josh. They are all outstanding! I would PM or call Al and ask him.

packmule

You'll be pleased with whatever you decide on!

skimerhorn

Anything by them is good but I have mineral poplar and butternut for my box

Wildfowler

Ive had a lot of luck with a cherry over butternut from Al and Josh, but whatever you end up going with it will be all turkey! Never heard one from those guys that wasnt!

Ol Yelper

I have several from the SS boys and like everyone says you can't go wrong with any of their boxes. My favorite is a Maple over Walnut. It does it all!!

ncturkey

I really like the Kwila over Butternut field grade short box.

Spyder

I just ordered one as well, I couldn't make up my mind on the wood either, I just told Al what look I was going for, and I wanted something easy to run. I told him to surprise me, after all he is the call maker. Can't wait to get it. I'll post a few pics when it gets here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLSelf

Just pick what you like.  Al and Josh put plenty of turkey in all their calls.

mgm1955

Quote from: turkey stew on March 08, 2016, 02:14:00 PM
I have many different combos from Al and Josh. They are all outstanding! I would PM or call Al and ask him.
:agreed:

Marc

I would give them a call, tell them where and what you are hunting, and the type of sound you are looking for...  It has been my experience that custom call makers will gladly talk to you, and that is your best bet for getting a call with the sound and look you want.

And not only have a learned a little about the calls they make, but most will "talk a little turkey" if they have the time.  Whether I am ordering an expensive box call, or a far less expensive diaphragm, I have enjoyed talking to some of the different call makers and getting their input on calls and hunting...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.