OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

South Florida Success

Started by tjmurphy, March 08, 2016, 11:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjmurphy

Although I never measure a successful hunt in whether I harvest a bird or not it felt good taking this one late Sunday morning. I hadn't taken a bird in a few seasons because I have had my sons hunting, plus their busy baseball schedule and work commitments. I truely find everyday in the outdoors to be a tremendous success. Whether I kill game, catch a limit of fish or accomplish neither I have never spent a day in the outdoors that I felt was a waste of time. I spent the  weekend with a great friend hunting a WMA we have been going to the last couple years and where my son harvested his first turkey. Had several birds respond to the Outlaw call made by Mr. Lonnie Sneed throughout the weekend. On Saturday one came into 25 yards and showed his head and neck but I couldn't confidently differentiate between him being a Jake or a two year old and he slipped back into the oak hammock he came from. I struck two more separate birds, one later that morning and the other in the early afternoon. In both instances hens responded quickly and went to the gobbling of the Tom's and moved off with me in tow but it wasn't meant to be. I took this bird I guess to be a 3 yr old about 1030 Sunday morning. He came in silent in winds up to 20 mph while I periodically hammered on the glass slat every 15 minutes or so when the wind would briefly lay down a little. 18.4 lbs., 1" and 1 1/4" spurs and 9 1/4" beard. Thanks for listening and good luck to everyone this season!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

eorlando

Nice bird. I hunted the past  4 days and only heard 2 gobbles yesterday morning. I am from N Ft Myers. You close by??

sixbird

Congrats...Nice bird...And you're killin' me (our season doesn't start until April 25th)!!!

vagrousehunter

Very nice !  Sounds like a great weekend.

buzzardroost

Awesome! Sounds like a great hunt for public land especially

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alloutdoors

boatpaddle

Congrats on a fine gobbler... :z-guntootsmiley:

They are some nasty spurs.... :icon_thumright:

Continued success....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

wvboy

And so it begins .. nice bird.. congrats
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

tjmurphy

Quote from: eorlando on March 08, 2016, 12:05:40 PM
Nice bird. I hunted the past  4 days and only heard 2 gobbles yesterday morning. I am from N Ft Myers. You close by??
From Bradenton but hunted West of you in Hendry in what use to be the zoo. Still quality game but the panther's are doing their best to change that.

bigbird

tjmurphy

Quote from: sixbird on March 08, 2016, 12:11:04 PM
Congrats...Nice bird...And you're killin' me (our season doesn't start until April 25th)!!!
Sorry sixbird. We are tarpon fishing by the time you open.  ;D

eorlando

Quote from: tjmurphy on March 08, 2016, 01:54:53 PM
Quote from: eorlando on March 08, 2016, 12:05:40 PM
From Bradenton but hunted West of you in Hendry in what use to be the zoo. Still quality game but the panther's are doing their best to change that.

I know exactly where. I will be there this weekend with my 6 year old daughter for her first turkey hunt. Obviously she will be a spectator. Did you hear many birds?  PM me if you have any advise. I have deer hunted it in the past but never turkey hunted it.

OldSchool

Congrats on a beauty!! Our winter flocks haven't even broken up yet here in NY. May 1st. opener.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

WisTurk

Dang!  Those spurs could definitely do some real damage!

Rio Fan

Congrats on a very nice bird!  :icon_thumright: