turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thinking about a project

Started by jpen, March 07, 2016, 08:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpen

Thinking of building my New England 20ga into a turkey gun. The gunsmith I talked with suggested that I lengthen the forcing cone. Will this make a noticeable difference or just waste money? I am going to get the barrel chopped to 20in and threaded for chokes. Just trying to figure out what else I want to do.

jordanz7935

Go for it! They make awesome turkey guns. Federal Heavyweights do well in my 22" youth h&r topper,and my Buddy's 26" bbl, both factory full chokes. The way I understand it is, with forcing cone work your gonna have more even, less patchy patterns not necessarily put up higher numbers, and it will lower the recoil(which will help because if you cut the barrel to 20" its gonna kick pretty good especially if any youths are using it). I've never had it done on any of my guns, just going on what I've gathered over the years. And for whatever reason its not a popular thing to do in the 20 ga turkey guns from what I've seen. Look into Mike Orlen or Sumtoy for the work.Both are straight shooters, do great work and @ a great price.Good luck with it, and let us know how it turns out.

tree-rat sniper

This thread is a few years old but there are a variety of single 20s here, lots of inspiration!   ;)

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=26715.0
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!