turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Had to ban someone today over a classifieds ad

Started by Old Gobbler, March 07, 2016, 06:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSwamper

my  advice is know who you are dealing with.  i recently purchased several items and did paypal gift but the sellers are both callmakers who are on here all the time.  i also just sold a call to a member who paid me via paypal gift, and I mailed the items today with tracking.  Frankly, i never really thought about the paypal gifting and not being covered, thought is was more of the $2 processing fee.  nonetheless, i am a low post member, but i am honest.  guess not is the same for all low post members.  i would caution all of you that the thieves among us are crafty, and i too hate a thief and a liar.  But, all they have to do is go for a few weeks and reply to a lot of posts and get their number up, before selling an item.  sad but true.  my point is, don't base it just on post count, but don't ignore it either........

Clif Owen

Well folks..you have me wondering now. I've dealt with a few of you on here as well as others on different sites. Up to now, I've never been burned. I always had the attitude that I treat everyone like I want to be treated. However, I did recently conduct business with a guy with a low post count and haven't yet received my money. I'm sure hoping it isn't the same guy.
I don't do Paypal. Might need to start. Even though it does violate everything I believe in.

Old Gobbler

Here is some more info

A very low  post member selling a choke tube for a good amount , cashiers check arrived etc.... no choke  tube after two weeks

In a  few days I will be making a sticky post in the classifieds area , with the name.....email.....ip#.....phone number......adress....Facebook profile....of this individual,  plus I have another from 4 years ago -this will serve as a warning to anyone even considering trying this on here

The contact info will stay puclic forever .....
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Gobble!

There are other forums I'm on where they have what is called a itrader rating where you can leave feedback. Not sure if it's something worth looking into or not.

born2hunt

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 07, 2016, 08:56:10 PM
Here is some more info

A very low  post member selling a choke tube for a good amount , cashiers check arrived etc.... no choke  tube after two weeks

In a  few days I will be making a sticky post in the classifieds area , with the name.....email.....ip#.....phone number......adress....Facebook profile....of this individual,  plus I have another from 4 years ago -this will serve as a warning to anyone even considering trying this on here

The contact info will stay puclic forever .....
Like a wall of shame....
I like it !!!!
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Cottonmouth

It's amazing what some people will do for a dollar now. All to avoid working for it.

mgm1955

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 07, 2016, 12:59:01 PM
I'm a member on trapperman and it also has a feedback thread. One of the moderators gets contacted when someone gets burned. He then tries to deal with the situation and if not handled appropriately, their name goes on a bad feedback list. People are then aware of a possible bad encounter. It'd be nice to see that here but it can be time consuming. For the most part, people are fairly honest. I've been pretty lucky so far and haven't gotten burned but did have one encounter that came close.

Thoughts to remember:

-Never send PayPal as a gift unless you're absolutely certain they have and will send the product. The custom call makers here seem to be very honest people and I'd have no problems sending them money as a gift. Would not do that for an individual though. If sent for "goods", PayPal will be in your corner.

-MONEY ORDERS: you can track the progress of the money order if you send it with tracking. Keeping the receipt and information allows you to check and see if it's been cashed. If it hasn't, you can get a refund. If it has, and you've filled everything out properly, you can contact the Feds. It's a federal offense to offer goods, take money through the mail and not make good on the deal. That's how I got my stuff in the past with the bad dealing. Once made aware, he coughed up the equipment pretty quick.

Just ways to protect yourself.
Money orders aren't a perfect solution. I know it protects the seller, but doesn't necessarily protect the buyer. I agreed to buy a call from a member here, multiple pms between us exchanging info. He wanted a money order which was sent and cashed. He sold the call to someone else, I presume for more money. When I contacted him he said he would send me a money order back. It took several more contacts by me before he finally sent the money back over one month after he had cashed the one from me. Although i could have pursued him legally that is not a great remedy. As Rickey pointed out, I also get contacted by people who want to sell me calls. Some I know, others I don't. I have adopted Shannon's advice and basically won't deal with people I don't know or for whom someone else can't vouch for. It's a shame, especially for up and coming makers,  that there are dishonest people that make it hard for them 
to do business.

Buzzkiller

I have bought calls from several people on here with no problem.
I  use Paypal a lot because they get their money and can mail it
out quicker. I never thought of the paypal not backing if it's sent
as gift but I do now. Why not make a rule to sell only as GOODS?

Smooth_Operator

I've noticed a lot of posts lately in the classifieds with no pictures.  Some say they can't post pictures or they will post them later.  Here's the thing, if you have the ability and technology to be reading and posting text to an Internet forum, you have the ability to post pictures. All it takes is a little effort on your part to learn how, there really isn't any excuse for not doing it. No pics, low posts = Fishy

And if you're going to sell something and say "I'll post pics tomorrow" then just wait till tomorrow to post your ad when you actually have time to post the pics.  I say all this because, it is a rule that the majority of the good folks here follow, it is a rule for a reason, and it is simply good practice. This is the best hunting forum going IMO, let's keep it that way... Rant over. Shannon, thanks for taking out the trash, I hate that someone here got burned on a deal, a lot of good people on this site and it sucks when someone gets taken advantage of...

P.S. If there is anybody here that still thinks they can't post pics, shoot me a PM and I would be more than happy to post them for you, that goes for anyone! :toothy9:

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

strutnrut

If a transaction between two people get to the point that Shannon has to get involved than they need to be called out before anyone else gets burned. I guess I have either been lucky, only had 1 problem in many years and I hardly ever ask for payment prior to the customer getting the call. I like to thank all of the honest people on here. Thanks to Shannon for kicking out the trash. 

M Sharpe

I couldn't agree more Richard!! I feel like a guy that does this needs exposing, but I believe I remember a guy getting hammered for calling a guy out last year. I think we, as call buyers and makers, should know who these shady characters are.
Good job Shannon!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

wmn2

I've been very lucky to not get burned ever and I buy and sell here and on AT. I've seen people on AT get burned selling bows for hundreds of dollars, even though they still have the itrader rating. It's not foolproof. I like the wall of shame idea or making all classifieds to be sold as goods only. What's a few bucks when you're already spending a decent amount?

davisd9

When you go to someone's profile, there is a way to add a comment.  I wrote one on a guy's profile stating the easiness of our transaction, but once submitted I could not find how to see it.  Would be nice to have this function where guys could comment on a profile stating how a transaction went. I always look at a profile when starting a transaction and if I could see the comments I could get some feedback on the person.  Just an idea of something that already looks like it is on the forum.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Rick Howard

The gift option is for gifts.  Was anyone unclear with how PayPal stays open when they signed up?  Why circumvent the fee for a service?  Kinda like steeling if ya ask me.

davisd9

Quote from: Rick Howard on March 08, 2016, 08:13:45 AM
The gift option is for gifts.  Was anyone unclear with how PayPal stays open when they signed up?  Why circumvent the fee for a service?  Kinda like steeling if ya ask me.

I agree with what you are saying but when sending a "gift" the sender pays the fee rather than the seller.  Regardless, it is not a gift so I am not sending money as it is.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer