Main Menu

Had to ban someone today over a classifieds ad

Started by Old Gobbler, March 07, 2016, 06:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Quote from: snapper1982 on March 07, 2016, 10:37:06 AM
Quote from: tomstopper on March 07, 2016, 09:19:59 AM
Quote from: snapper1982 on March 07, 2016, 09:17:20 AM
I made a tote for one and he never hasnt paid nor answered my messages in 12 days. I didnt send the tote but i did learn a lesson from it. As Shannon has said be very careful with low post counts.
He has and this has got me thinking that I wish we had a thread/link on here where we could have buyer/seller reviews. I think it would help out a little but that's just a thought.

He has what?
Snapper1982 my apologizes for not being clearer. I meant that he has warned us in the past about low post counts. Glad you didn't fall for a scam and lose out on any money.

snapper1982

Quote from: tomstopper on March 07, 2016, 10:54:10 AM
Quote from: snapper1982 on March 07, 2016, 10:37:06 AM
Quote from: tomstopper on March 07, 2016, 09:19:59 AM
Quote from: snapper1982 on March 07, 2016, 09:17:20 AM
I made a tote for one and he never hasnt paid nor answered my messages in 12 days. I didnt send the tote but i did learn a lesson from it. As Shannon has said be very careful with low post counts.
He has and this has got me thinking that I wish we had a thread/link on here where we could have buyer/seller reviews. I think it would help out a little but that's just a thought.

He has what?
Snapper1982 my apologizes for not being clearer. I meant that he has warned us in the past about low post counts. Glad you didn't fall for a scam and lose out on any money.

Oh ok sorry. I thought maybe you ment the guy has tried to contact me.

wvmntnhick

I'm a member on trapperman and it also has a feedback thread. One of the moderators gets contacted when someone gets burned. He then tries to deal with the situation and if not handled appropriately, their name goes on a bad feedback list. People are then aware of a possible bad encounter. It'd be nice to see that here but it can be time consuming. For the most part, people are fairly honest. I've been pretty lucky so far and haven't gotten burned but did have one encounter that came close.

Thoughts to remember:

-Never send PayPal as a gift unless you're absolutely certain they have and will send the product. The custom call makers here seem to be very honest people and I'd have no problems sending them money as a gift. Would not do that for an individual though. If sent for "goods", PayPal will be in your corner.

-MONEY ORDERS: you can track the progress of the money order if you send it with tracking. Keeping the receipt and information allows you to check and see if it's been cashed. If it hasn't, you can get a refund. If it has, and you've filled everything out properly, you can contact the Feds. It's a federal offense to offer goods, take money through the mail and not make good on the deal. That's how I got my stuff in the past with the bad dealing. Once made aware, he coughed up the equipment pretty quick.

Just ways to protect yourself.

jwright8

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 07, 2016, 10:05:35 AM
:gobble:a feedback function akin to the one on Archerytalk would be nice.
I agree

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

born2hunt

This reminds me of when I ordered a call from Mr Sneed. My wife could not believe that I was just going to send a check to someone I didn't know and just trust that they sent the call  :z-dizzy:.  I just said YEP that's how it works with people like that.  It's a shame everyone can't have the same morals.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

wvmntnhick

Quote from: born2hunt on March 07, 2016, 01:55:28 PM
This reminds me of when I ordered a call from Mr Sneed. My wife could not believe that I was just going to send a check to someone I didn't know and just trust that they sent the call  :z-dizzy:.  I just said YEP that's how it works with people like that.  It's a shame everyone can't have the same morals.

:z-winnersmiley:

Spitten and drummen

I can say I have done a lot of wheeling and dealing on here. I have not gotten burned knock on wood. most of the people I deal with , I have done so on several occasions. for the most parts , guys are pretty honest and I have met a circle of people that I consider friends. its like everywhere though , there is going to be a lowlife lurking . just the way things are now. it is very sad what things have become.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

JLH

At the very least, exchange cell phone #'s so you can text pics.

The classifides are a fantastic feature of any hunting forum.....sucks that people abuse the priveledge.

Brantleyville

davisd9

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 07, 2016, 12:59:01 PM
-Never send PayPal as a gift unless you're absolutely certain they have and will send the product. The custom call makers here seem to be very honest people and I'd have no problems sending them money as a gift. Would not do that for an individual though. If sent for "goods", PayPal will be in your corner.

Never send PayPal as a gift. You are buying something not giving a gift. If the person selling is worried about the 3% then they should reflect the cost in their price, just as they do shipping cost. If something happens to your goods and you paid as a gift, may not be the seller's fault even, then Paypal will not do a thing for you as you sent a gift and did not purchase something in Paypal's eyes.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sixes

There are always going to be crooks and I hate to see anyone ripped off.

I understand being cautious, but simply stating "Be wary of low post counts" isn't always fair to new members. I would hate to think that because I am new here and have a low post that I would be suspect.

davisd9

I got a friend that just joined. Lurked around the site for a while and finally joined. He posted a couple chokes and I vouched for him. I know he is a stand up guy and I will not vouch for everyone I know. I feel I have a decent reputation here in which people will trust me.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

M Sharpe

ALWAYS, ALWAYS...require a POSTAL Money Order from someone that you don't know or in question of. Anytime you deal with the postal system and someone fails to produce the object you paid for, it is a federal offense!!!
If you order a call from me and I request your phone number, or send you mine, and get no response back from you while you keep sending me pm's, then it's Postal MO for you!! If you just want to pm back and forth, that MO will be in my hands before your name goes on that call as well! I understand the convenience of pm's. But, I can ask you all the questions and you can ask me all the questions that need answering in just a short time. I've met many a good people through these phone calls. Many of them have become good friends. 
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

wvmntnhick

Quote from: davisd9 on March 07, 2016, 04:37:45 PM

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 07, 2016, 12:59:01 PM

Never send PayPal as a gift. You are buying something not giving a gift. If the person selling is worried about the 3% then they should reflect the cost in their price, just as they do shipping cost. If something happens to your goods and you paid as a gift, may not be the seller's fault even, then Paypal will not do a thing for you as you sent a gift and did not purchase something in Paypal's eyes.

Sent from the Strut Zone

I get it. And generally, I'd agree 100%. Only reason I said it was that after dealing with the particular person I dealt with, it wouldn't bother me in the least. Wouldn't do it for everyone but this fella, I would.  As for the 3% charge, I agree again. It's simply that when someone is bending over backwards for me, sometimes I don't mind giving them a break. Again, I agree. It was simply something that I personally felt comfortable with as he had a squeaky clean record and offered full refund if I wasn't happy. Not fair for him to have to return the 3% that PayPal took from him because I got anal about something. Again, just my opinion.

SteelerFan

Thanks for taking action, OG! It really stinks that some folks aren't trustworthy, especially those that take the time to come to sites like this. Then again, I'd venture a guess that 95% of treestands and trail cams that get stolen, are stolen by folks that call themselves "hunters".

Getting ripped off on Craigslist happens... but here? Sad. Public shaming may be in order... :policeman: